Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jan 20, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DD’s was £295 last year, we then had to pay to get it shortened. I’m hoping it will still fit her if she needs a formal dress in the future as I don’t intend to buy another!
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
orlando10
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi
TK Maxx have some beautiful dresses online at the minute x
DLP 2016, 2018
orlando10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Don't forget you can order a load online from tkmaxx and try them on at home and return those you don't want. The range on shops esp the larger ones is often better however. I was in the Cardiff store today and they had a lot in.

Not all high end material to be honest, but for a one off in the dark, much happier to spend 30-40 for it to be trashed or outgrown rather than full on fortune.

Edited at 11:38 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 06:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Goofy's Buddy
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We paid £420! 😳😳
Goofy's Buddy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Ok as someone with 8 and 5 year old girls this thread is giving me major anxiety... Definitely shot up since my prom in 2000. Mind you even the year 6 leavers do seems to be a big deal these days, guess I should start saving now! Mine will have communions too which some spend £££s on for a dress, party etc.

Edited at 10:02 AM.
LizzyBear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

People spend what they want. There was no peer pressure in my Dd's year to be setting any sort of budget.

Many of the boys spent more than girls with expensive trainers and suits. People just didn't realise it.

Spend what you are comfortable with. People here have shown any budget can be made to work.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
People spend what they want. There was no peer pressure in my Dd's year to be setting any sort of budget.

Many of the boys spent more than girls with expensive trainers and suits. People just didn't realise it.

Spend what you are comfortable with. People here have shown any budget can be made to work.
That’s true , my sons suit , shirt and tie wasn’t far off what my DD’s prom dress cost , it would have been more had Moss Bros not had a sale on .

His shoes also cost far more .
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
stinkerbell97
Gone all Goofy

My first was from Debenhams sale and cost £25 and my second was from ebay and cost £6.50. I can't see the value in a dress that's worn for one evening and a girl I went with spent over £500 and it got ruined by her fake tan running in the rain and staining the dress.

Also, just my opinion, but working with kids in care etc makes me see this as totally alienating to them? £500 is a huge amount of money for a dress. If you do have one that wasn't crazy money or you aren't attached to, consider donating it to your local school or there are some organisations that help disadvantaged children receive prom dresses at reasonable prices!
stinkerbell97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think the cost is ridiculous. My daughters dress sits pointlessly hanging on the back of the spare bedroom door now. Worn once! We did it of course but I don’t agree with it really. Her dress was £270. It was a short but not tight one. Dry unusual. Her bag and shoes were another £100 but at least they can be used again. Her hair was about £30 I think and her makeup I can’t remember. She’s not a fake tan girl so we were spared that 🙄
Old 27 Jan 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Nelee
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Thanks everyone! I didn't expect so many replies, well she said yes to the dress yesterday at a price of £450, a bit more than I expected! good job my husband had his bonus paid out in work this week :-)
To anyone who has daughters in year 10 I would start saving now lol
Nelee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List