Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Feb 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
I don’t think so. Some Uni’s do not have sufficient accommodation for their Undergraduates. Reasonably significant issue for a young person leaving home for the first time. Many use a get the money as fast a possible system meaning a none level playing field for applications, at best reducing choice. Given the range of quality of accommodation at some Uni’s a reasonably important issue for some young people. If you’re telling yourself it will make no difference then to be honest. Your wrong. Luck may or may not be on your side with that approach.
Time to PANIC then!

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

We completed the student finance application yesterday for my DS and the amount he'll be getting has already been calculated on his account. Very quick, perhaps it's because he was all set to go last year but didn't in the end!

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by galaxyflorida View Post
We completed the student finance application yesterday for my DS and the amount he'll be getting has already been calculated on his account. Very quick, perhaps it's because he was all set to go last year but didn't in the end!
That’s just normal. We applied Wednesday night last week and received the letter of confirmation through the post yesterday. I thinks it’s pretty simple maths for them TBH. Glad you’re sorted though 👍👍👍
Old 1 Mar 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Student finance is our next job...
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ds4ljs View Post
Student finance is our next job...
Ours too!

We have the offer day at Warwick next weekend so DD is looking forward to that. Not sure I’m so keen to sit in on a maths lecture though 😬 so may sit that one out and leave DD to enjoy!
2022: Highlands Reserve villa followed by Gulf Coast
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Photogirl62 View Post
We have the offer day at Warwick next weekend so DD is looking forward to that. Not sure I’m so keen to sit in on a maths lecture though 😬 so may sit that one out and leave DD to enjoy!
If it's anything like the offer day I went to last weekend, the students go off and do something by themselves whilst the parents have their own timetable of things to see or do. So I doubt you'll have to sit through a maths lecture (I doubt the students will as well).

DD dissected a fish looking for parasites.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Anyone with DC going to Sheffield - they can now apply for their accommodation if firmed them. Quite peculiar that they choose the specific flat and room number they want.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
If it's anything like the offer day I went to last weekend, the students go off and do something by themselves whilst the parents have their own timetable of things to see or do. So I doubt you'll have to sit through a maths lecture (I doubt the students will as well).

DD dissected a fish looking for parasites.
Unfortunately I did sit through a 45 minute maths lecture which made no sense to me within 20 seconds. DD loved it though! Then we separated and she went along to a supervision group with fellow applicants and I went off to parent info seminar. DD loves it and is glad she’s put them as firm choice.
Now the hard work begins getting the work done to secure the grades. Really worried coronavirus is going to impact the exams and upset all the students.
Also concerned because we are flying to Florida 25th June - day after the contingency day - so if exams are postponed en masse then we will have to cancel our trip - both DD and DS looking forward to the relaxation after their hard exam work 😩
2022: Highlands Reserve villa followed by Gulf Coast
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by galaxyflorida View Post
Anyone with DC going to Sheffield - they can now apply for their accommodation if firmed them. Quite peculiar that they choose the specific flat and room number they want.
It’s odd that DD has her flat number/room in Liverpool before anything else. 😀 including finance * must get round to that one!
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Unfortunately I did sit through a 45 minute maths lecture which made no sense to me within 20 seconds.
Blimey. I loved Maths when I was younger (I got an A in Further Maths) but I'm not sure I would've enjoyed sitting through a 45 minute maths lecture when visiting for an offer day. Mind you, I don't think DD particularly enjoyed dissecting a fish.

Now the hard work begins getting the work done to secure the grades. Really worried coronavirus is going to impact the exams and upset all the students.
Yeah, I know what you mean. A small part of me is concerned the government will close all schools for a while. If the panic continues and escalates through Spring then I'm concerned it might disrupt the exams and all kids about to sit them (GCSEs, A-levels, and any others).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~