Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 14 May 19, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Virgin plane and airport Asd child

Family of four, my daughter has asd (9) and zero patience, she also vomits or needs endless wees when she’s excited or nervous- yay, fun times!

Two questions, where on the plane is a good place to sit. Normally we go with the in-laws so sit in the bubble in rows of three. This year they are nt coming. Splitting the children up meant no fighting. 😀 Bubble was great, quieter for our daughter. Locker thing at the side gave extra space for all her ‘essentials’ finally we got off quickly. This was a god send.
Where would you sit? I can’t see how we will sit for the next trip.

Next question, although flying virgin we are nt booked direct so sadly can’t use the v room. What’s a good alternative we can book at Gatwick?
Quiet, child friendly, food etc.

Thanks
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

You can still go in the bubble 2x2 and possibly sit by a stranger?
Jam them in the window seat.
There are paid lounges i have no idea which is more child friendly...
Cheaper ones arw generally more family friendly but expensive ones are quieter so depends on ur child.
Manchester has opened a sunflower room so i hope soon other airports follow suite...
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

If you were flying BA I'd say My Lounge as it has an outdoor terrace in the South terminal but the North terminal doesn't. I'd just go for the one with the most varied buffet options if she's picky with food too (yes I have one on the spectrum too can you tell )
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
If you were flying BA I'd say My Lounge as it has an outdoor terrace in the South terminal but the North terminal doesn't. I'd just go for the one with the most varied buffet options if she's picky with food too (yes I have one on the spectrum too can you tell )
Both children are seriously picky. They loved the v room, especially computers (when the big ones let him have a go) although last year I did nt realise she was helping herself to coke. Thirty trips to the toilet on way there with a child who does nt need to be anymore hyper than she is! Will be more on the ball next time.
As much as possible I’d like to avoid having a stranger next to us on the plane. Wondering whether to just deal with sitting in a row of four and being last off.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I'd go for the row of four in your situation... odds are even if you are off first she'll want the loo so any advantage getting off first will be negated by a pit stop before immigration !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Trying to not think about immigration! Last time on way home wS a nightmare, she just lay on floor in meltdown down. Got lucky on way in with amazing special assistance at mco
Old 14 May 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkstarburst
Excited about Disney

We are in the same situation - Family of 4 with one ASD child and are travelling in 3 weeks. We are Glasgow though so can't help with specific lounges I'm afraid.

We have booked the rows of 2 - bubble on the way there and downstairs on the way back (only because the bubble was full). Have also upgraded to PE, however only due to a silly price which I still think was a glitch when we booked :-).

I would try and opt for a window seat for your daughter in a two if you can get it and I'm sure it will be all good. Also look for a quiet lounge before hand as others have suggested. In Glasgow there is only one lounge so we didn't have a choice :-).

Also, worth remembering that in the bubble you should get off first which will help at customs. Although also worth noting that if you book Special Assistance you can ask to get off first rather than wait to the end because of ASD. We have done this with other airlines in the past.

Not sure when you are off but I'm happy to share any tips once we return in June if that helps at all.

My two fight constantly - 99% instigated by my ASD son so we find it easier to split them up. My DS is very sensitive to food smells (we have been called to collect him from school many times as he has been "sick" in the canteen. In actual fact he has simply been wretching at a smell of someone elses food.). Anyway, this means I have a concern over food smells on the plane. Fingers crossed he will be fine, although I do remember a projectile vomit issue pre-diagnosis when he was 4 and we visited DLP. He got a whiff of someone having garlic butter on bread during breakfast and was sick everywhere. We laugh now but was not funny at the time!
Anyway, smells aside he is also very fussy so we will take with us some additional snacks and sandwiches etc which I really hope he eats. Will also have a ridiculous number of electonic devices to entertain him and in all honestly think he will be fine as long as no batteries run out etc!

Also our first big holiday without the grandparents to again - feel your pain. Lovely to have them there for many reasons, however not going to pretend that help with the kids was an absolute godsend (although not the main reason we want them there obviously :-))
pinkstarburst is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TC Devon View Post
Trying to not think about immigration! Last time on way home wS a nightmare, she just lay on floor in meltdown down. Got lucky on way in with amazing special assistance at mco
Don't forget the Sunflower lanyard
Old 14 May 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pinkstarburst View Post
We are in the same situation - Family of 4 with one ASD child and are travelling in 3 weeks. We are Glasgow though so can't help with specific lounges I'm afraid.

We have booked the rows of 2 - bubble on the way there and downstairs on the way back (only because the bubble was full). Have also upgraded to PE, however only due to a silly price which I still think was a glitch when we booked :-).

I would try and opt for a window seat for your daughter in a two if you can get it and I'm sure it will be all good. Also look for a quiet lounge before hand as others have suggested. In Glasgow there is only one lounge so we didn't have a choice :-).

Also, worth remembering that in the bubble you should get off first which will help at customs. Although also worth noting that if you book Special Assistance you can ask to get off first rather than wait to the end because of ASD. We have done this with other airlines in the past.

Not sure when you are off but I'm happy to share any tips once we return in June if that helps at all.

My two fight constantly - 99% instigated by my ASD son so we find it easier to split them up. My DS is very sensitive to food smells (we have been called to collect him from school many times as he has been "sick" in the canteen. In actual fact he has simply been wretching at a smell of someone elses food.). Anyway, this means I have a concern over food smells on the plane. Fingers crossed he will be fine, although I do remember a projectile vomit issue pre-diagnosis when he was 4 and we visited DLP. He got a whiff of someone having garlic butter on bread during breakfast and was sick everywhere. We laugh now but was not funny at the time!
Anyway, smells aside he is also very fussy so we will take with us some additional snacks and sandwiches etc which I really hope he eats. Will also have a ridiculous number of electonic devices to entertain him and in all honestly think he will be fine as long as no batteries run out etc!

Also our first big holiday without the grandparents to again - feel your pain. Lovely to have them there for many reasons, however not going to pretend that help with the kids was an absolute godsend (although not the main reason we want them there obviously :-))
Good luck for your first trip. Would love to know how you get on. I’m a bit nervous about ours. Your son sounds like my daughter, food smells/smelly people set her off. She’s quite vocal 🙈 Again my two will wind each other up and on a flight I don’t fancy my own mini fight club. Does bubble have seats in twos. That would be perfect. I will definitely look at special assistance and leaving first.
Old 14 May 19, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Duchy she was wearing it in LGW-I also had my sons on, and it was pointless.