Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 5 Jun 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Probably one of the best food reports, with stunning vista pics as an extra bonus, i have ever read on the Dibb.

Two things..., one - I want the corn creme brûlée, two - you are making me hungry!

Looking forward to the next mouthful. Enjoy yourselves.

Disney332
Thank you, that’s a lovely comment!

I am still dreaming of the corn creme brûlée, food is an important part of our holidays and we have more lovely meals to come, but that dish alone made Chucks our favourite meal of the holiday. (The steak and wine didn’t hurt either.)
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

WOW, the scenery is just spectacular. The views, the lake, the snow, the fire pit looking at the lake...oh my word, it just looks amazing! What a shame you didn’t get food with a view when you stepped off the gondola, and certainly not good service at the deli

I would love a nice glass of wine with some fondue and a pecan tart and obviously a cup of that hot chocolate-yummy! (Reality will be a cup of tea and a Freddo-I have summer clothes to try and fit back into)

Looking forward to more bear claws and dreamy landscapes...
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Black Forest looks delish, and the presentation is so so good. Its saying... eat me - eat me !

Disney332
Old 6 Jun 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
rebeccarobbins
slightly serious Dibber

rebeccarobbins's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Really enjoying your reports. What stunning scenery!
rebeccarobbins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Have just read your report so far and wishing it was some of the delicous looking food that I had beside me rather than a cuppa.
Your photos and scenery are fantastic and looking forward to reading more
Mel49 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

How I love Canada! Your food looks delicious and I remember some of the views from our honeymoon trip many years ago!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
WOW, the scenery is just spectacular. The views, the lake, the snow, the fire pit looking at the lake...oh my word, it just looks amazing! What a shame you didn’t get food with a view when you stepped off the gondola, and certainly not good service at the deli

I would love a nice glass of wine with some fondue and a pecan tart and obviously a cup of that hot chocolate-yummy! (Reality will be a cup of tea and a Freddo-I have summer clothes to try and fit back into)

Looking forward to more bear claws and dreamy landscapes...
It was much snowier than we thought it would be, but DH spoke to a Canadian colleague after we came back and he suggested their spring is falling later this year after a tougher winter.

I have to admit that going back to my diet this week has been a struggle LOL.

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Black Forest looks delish, and the presentation is so so good. Its saying... eat me - eat me !

Disney332
I was blown away by the presentation!

Originally Posted by rebeccarobbins View Post
Really enjoying your reports. What stunning scenery!
Thank you! It’s a gorgeous part of the world.

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
Have just read your report so far and wishing it was some of the delicous looking food that I had beside me rather than a cuppa.
Your photos and scenery are fantastic and looking forward to reading more
We did not hold back on the food front for the most part

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
How I love Canada! Your food looks delicious and I remember some of the views from our honeymoon trip many years ago!
It’s such a fabulous place.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Day 6: To Jasper via the Icefields Parkway

Today we were checking out of Chateau LL to head north. Still full from dinner last night, we decided to visit the hotel deli for a lighter breakfast and to pick up something for later on, just in case we got hungry on the road.

The deli had hot breakfast sandwiches but in the end we both chose a pot of yogurt, fruit compote and granola, with some breakfast tea. My lunch was a ham and Swiss croissant while DH chose the tuna salad version.

We also stopped by the sweet shop for more chocolate! Sadly, though, the only assistant was on the phone and DH is not very patient, so after a minute of waiting he wanted to leave. We were chocolate less, with only pictures to look at.

We popped out for a last look at Lake Louise, which revealed that the sunny weather of yesterday was no more!

And that weather persisted for a while after we’d checked out and hit the road.

We stopped briefly at several viewpoints on the road, but it was raining so I tended to stay in the car while DH popped out to take photos! The forecast did suggest, however, that the weather would get better the further north we went (which seems odd to me but it’s to do with how the weather patterns move through the mountains).

Thankfully the weather had started to improve by the time I needed a bathroom break, and we stopped at the next viewpoint that had signposted loos so that I could use the facilities (ah, the delight of a waterless wilderness toilet!). It turned out to be a fairly busy place, I think mostly because others were in the same boat, but the view wasn’t bad either.

And I obviously told DH that it was thanks to my decision to request a break that we were then lucky enough to see this guy, just a little further up the road!

Our first black bear! DH of course did all the stuff you’re not supposed to do, in stopping and getting out of the car, but he figured he could outrun all of the other tourists who did the same. I stayed safely inside.

Back in the car, our next major stop was going to be the Athabasca Glacier in the Columbia Icefield, but we enjoyed some major scenery on the way.

And some blue sky is peeking through!

We stopped at the Glacier as planned and started the trail to the toe with others. A lot of people were put off by the slope of snow in the middle of the trail, but thankfully we were able to power through thanks to our hiking footwear (I did not envy the people in trainers).

The trail evens out after this so we quickly made it to the ropes marking as far as you are allowed to go without doing a formal tour.

The combination of altitude and the whistling wind actually gave me a bit of a funny head for a minute of two, so I put up my hood which helped maintain pressure and that cleared it up.

We last walked this trail in 2009 and it was interesting to see roughly how far the glacier has receded since. They have markers all up the trail and it makes for a sobering realisation - I don't know how anyone can think global warming isn’t a thing.

We walked the trail, snapped pics and then headed back down to the car park - strangely I found going down the snowy slope easier than coming up it, I think because you could kick into the snow and dig in your heels.

We made our way across to the visitor centre because DH was considering doing the skywalk, but on reviewing the pamphlets and checking the weather, he decided he didn’t want to after all. Instead we headed to the cafe where we bought crisps and a fountain soda to share, and ate these with our sandwiches from Lake Louise.

A few more pics and we were back to the car. We stopped not far up the road for pics at Tangle Creek Falls.

You can see the blue sky of earlier had disappeared; well just as we approached the skywalk area, the rain started! DH was pleased he’d decided not to go as a result.

He’d also thought about stopping at Sunwapta Falls, but decided not to in the rain, and suggested we just carry on through to Jasper now. We have two nights so could always come back the following day if we wanted.

So we carried on and suddenly, the clouds broke!

I therefore suggested we reinstate the next planned stop at Athabasca Falls, on the basis the sun was now shining and we didn’t know for sure what tomorrow’s weather would bring. DH took some convincing but eventually agreed.

I think we can all agree my decision was a good one. Spot the rainbow!

We spent a chunk of time in the sunshine exploring the falls, canyon and shore area before finally setting out again for Jasper.

Last time we stayed here we were in the Patricia Lake bungalows, which had a beautiful view of the lake, but they have a three night minimum stay requirement at this time of year, so I’d gone searching for something similar. We picked Alpine Village on the south side of town and were happy with our choice!

The cabin and setting were beautiful, the only thing that took getting used to was the fact that because there is a working log fireplace in the room, there was also (understandably!) a lingering scent of smoke. Wood smoke is far more pleasant than cigarette smoke in my view but one to be aware of it you are sensitive to smells.

After some relaxation time we headed back out for dinner. Research both here and elsewhere suggested Evil Dave’s would be a good choice, so we booked a table just in case before we headed into Jasper. We easily parked round the corner from the restaurant.

Drinks first, I went for a large glass of Merlot which was indeed large! DH chose a local soda.

We shared an appetiser portion of “cowboy sushi”. Grilled, marinated Alberta beef tenderloin rolled with nori. Lightly battered, deep fried, sliced medallions. Served on sesame ginger cabbage and wasabi aioli. The cabbage wasn’t up to much but the rest was delicious.

For main I went for Malevolent Meatloaf - Bison and Wild Boar bacon loaf, served with mashed potatoes, chef's vegetables, and house made gravy.

This disappeared very quickly as again it was lovely!

DH chose Karma Curry - Korma with mindfully cooked vegetables. He added shrimp. Again he enjoyed this.

Then for dessert - yes, we made it! - we shared the dessert trio of apple cake, chocolate mouse and vanilla cheesecake. All tasty!

Definitely a good choice, and thanks to the DIBB for the initial find!

After dinner we walked up and down the Main Street and picked up some snacks from the supermarket before calling it a night. As we’re still getting up relatively early by our standards, we’re going earlier to bed too, so were soon snoring away.

Edited at 04:16 PM.
Old 8 Jun 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

You were definitely right to stop, the pictures look great, and for needing a rest stop too...I like that he justified his chances with the bear that he could run faster than the other photographers!
A log cabin that smells of smoke, you can’t get more authentic than that-it really looks great. We have relatives over in Jasper so we really need to visit. Your food looks good, I could just eat the desserts.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We’re staying at Alpine Village in September for 4 nights. Can’t wait!
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List