Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Nov 20, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

I’d feel guilty eating non free range meat or eggs
Id rather go with out than eat non free range especially pork or chicken
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I saw a field-to-plate documentary approaching 30 years ago, thought "that doesn't have to happen for me to eat" and stopped there and then.

Each to their own though - I don't care what anyone else does and doesn't do, and I cook meat and fish at home for family and friends, including the regular bacon sarnies for my son at weekends, as was the case this morning.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
I’d feel guilty eating non free range meat or eggs
Id rather go with out than eat non free range especially pork or chicken
I always buy free range eggs, I used to get them from a local farm. The daft things never roamed far though, just hung round the outside of their house.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

I stopped eating red meat 40+ years ago. We used to have a Sunday run out to nearby countryside before lunch, and one day the girls were so happy watching newly born lambs in the fields when suddenly I thought, no way could I possibly go home and eat that poor little thing.
Never touched or eaten red meat since
We went vegetarian soon after and both my girls and now granddaughter are now vegan

Edited at 03:38 PM.
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

I was vegetarian for 11 years, I gradually started to eat meat again about 12 years ago but I don’t eat meat every day. I love so many vegetarian and vegan meals so I mix and match. I wouldn’t have red meat more than twice a week though.
I assume milk is in a lot of things I eat, chocolate, cake, etc
But I don’t drink milk if that makes sense. Black coffee and I don’t have cereal nor do I drink milk. If an adult said they drank human breast milk people would be shocked or disgusted but they are happy to drink milk from a cow 🧐
My down fall is cheese. I am actually trying to cut it down because I eat far too much!
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Totally and in January have decided to go vegan.
I can not call myself an animal lover till I do this..
I really want to give up Dairy especially... seeing Cows run after their babies stolen, crying for weeks after they are born, they are mothers. I know how I would feel if someone ripped me apart from my baby, to watch them its absolutely heartbreaking.
xx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x

Edited at 07:35 PM.
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

They had a programme on TV a few years ago where the animals were seen alive, dispatched, prepared, cooked and eaten. It was all watched by a cross section of the public, with differing views, who had the opportunity to eat the meat at the end.

I found it pretty tough viewing and it did give me pause for thought for a few hours.

I guess I then lapsed back into a kind of knowing disassociation between the animal and the food.

I enjoy eating meat and as long as the animal is given quality of life and dispatched in a humane way I don't have an ongoing issue.

Could I dispatch an animal if my family were starving. Yes, I'm sure I could.

Edited at 09:04 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Aliloo
Getting Excited

I’ve been vegetarian in the past ( for about 15years) until I was 25. Now I’m flexible, I don’t eat meat on a Monday & haven't for a couple of years. When I’m only cooking for me, I’m often cooking veggie meals not particularly for ethical reasons though.
Aliloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Helen J View Post
I actually do feel guilty about eating meat and drinking milk, but I try not to think about it too much. I wish I'd never googled what happens to dairy cows.

But we still eat meat and drink milk, because we like it.
We haven't bought milk since we started the vegan experiment. I find no difference with soy milk in my coffee but I bet my dad would be able to tell the difference so I know it's very personal
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

I could happily be a vegetarian on animal welfare grounds.
I actually eat very little meat anyway because of my views. The rest of my family do like meat or I would not buy it any longer.
I do know a little bit about milk and I try not to think about it, if I read about it I would be in a real state, even reading this thread will haunt me for ages...
We have free range eggs but there are different degrees of 'free range' too
As I say I'd be quite happy to be vegetarian.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread