Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 24 Oct 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
blade
Proud to wear my Ears

Direct v resale

So finally we’re looking seriously at buying into DVC.
I’ve done lots of research and taken many things into consideration which keeps me going around in circles.
For UK purchasers is there much pull to buy direct? I’m not convinced many of the ‘perks’ would work in our favour and are subject to a lot of change.
However it seems the resale market also comes with questions about booking at new dvc hotels. So should I consider all resale or a mix of resale and direct?
I know it’s all subjective for each person but for those who have been through it I’d appreciate any advice, thanks.
Old 24 Oct 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

The main pull of buying a minimum of 125 points direct to get a blue card are mainly - discount AP's, special events (when things like Moonlight Magic return), use of points at Riviera or newer resorts, cruise bookings etc.

If you are looking for a great way to stay at the first 14 resorts then resale is defo the way to go.

Remember - 125 direct points at a $50 premium over resale is $6250 you need to save with your benefits to break even. Plus you might not want what's currently on offer from DVC as your home resort.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

WE bought resale with the view to add on to get the blue card. However, unless they have a flash reduction on the amount of points needed for a day then it is highly unlikely it will happen as at 125 points needed for a blue card I just can't justify it anymore against the savings you would be talking over £7k at say SSR.
Old 25 Oct 20, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Lucaroo
I want to go now!

Mobile

We are new members and ended up buying resale to save on the ££. As we plan to go every two years the benefits wouldn't be worth the extra cost to us. We was planning on adding directly but due to cost we are going get another resale contract with more points. To get around the rivera restrictions we've rented points out then re-rented points off a friend. At the end of the day it's a personal choice of what's best for you and you're family.
Lucaroo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We have been members for a long time and bought resale before there were restrictions. We bought resale as it was the only way into the Boardwalk.

The only perks we have ever used that wouldn’t be available to you are.

We occasionally get a drink in the Epcot members lounge.

We get some discounts on food and shopping,

We twice used points for a 3 night cruise but we will never do this again as the points for cruising are now too high. Instead I would rent out my points and use the cash to pay for a cruise.

That’s it.

I’d rather have more points for the same money than the perks we have used.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

We purchased direct in 2014 as this is what suited us at the time but I would not recommend buying for perks as they can be removed at any time.

If we were to purchase any more DVC points it would definitely be through resale, however, we won’t be buying anymore.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

We bought in 2003, sold in 2006 and bought in again (different resort) in 2008.

The price differential - right now - remains so massive I could never justify a direct purchase. I can’t clearly remember the difference both times we bought but IIRC it was about $500 extra for direct vs resale and we decided that was worth paying on 150/160 points.

The perks are pretty low level nowadays and can be taken away at any time.
Old 25 Oct 20, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

The only reason my contracts are direct is because my 2002 bought ones pre dated resale being viable for non US citizens, it was a new and very confusing concept, when I added on 2 years ago, the add on incentives (discount) for existing owners made buying a 50 year contract direct better value for us than resale on a shorter contract.

I was fully expecting to buy resale 2 years ago and was really surprised that it didn't work out the best value, at today's prices it's incredibly difficult to justify the extra cost for direct, the 'perks' just aren't worth thousands of $'s in savings.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
blade
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks everyone. You’ve all pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Now let’s start choosing my home resort
Old 25 Oct 20, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by blade View Post
Thanks everyone. You’ve all pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Now let’s start choosing my home resort
Good luck & enjoy

Buy where you'll always be happy to stay has always been the best advice.

I own at Beach Club & Copper Creek and have never regretted either

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List