Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jul 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post

Tesco click and collect ahead of masks

I booked a click and collect slot the other day for 30/7 for my first weekly shop post masks. They were showing slots for 3 weeks most of which were available with charges from free to £2.00 as normal.

Went on today to look at changing my slot but most have now gone and the newly released released slots for the first week of August have also nearly gone as I expected with the number of people saying they will no longer shop in store. (I quickly booked my slot for that week lol)

But they have increased the click and collect charge to a flat £1.50 across the board! Talk about cashing in
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Seems Tesco think a lot more people will be staying away now. Interesting.
Old 18 Jul 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Ours has tons of slots now - for click and collect and home delivery. They have only put the flat level charge for click and collect from the first week in August, so have given plenty of notice.

Other supermarkets may still offer free click and collect, wouldn't count on it lasting - except maybe for the high end, as it costs them so much to provide the service.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I believe that online shopping take will absolutely go through the roof and perhaps the Supermarkets are anticipating this.

Whilst many are talking about their being pleased now that compulsory mask wearing is to happen, it is very clear that there are many who are not and that may be either partially or totally lost to the direct shopping experience. This will impact heavily on Council budgets as they lose business rates, car parking fees etc. They will need to get that money elsewhere.

This aversion to blanket mask wearing may put the final nail in the coffin of High Street and possibly even Supermarket retail. It is no secret that the High Streets were on the bones of their backsides in many towns before Covid even reared it’s ugly head.
It is also no secret that Supermarkets were already shutting down tills and encouraging the removal of staff-customer interface through self checkout and online weekly shopping in order to cut staff and overheads (halved over 7 years in my local Asda).
Banks will use the dramatic removal of actual cash usage and also the decreased footfall in High Streets as an excuse to get rid of Cash ATM’s and also accelerate their bank closure programmes. (Yet more jobs lost with taxpayers becoming benefits claimants).

Me? I will not be entering any shop unless I have no choice as of next Friday. Geoff Bezos and co will be rubbing their hands in glee as I and many others expand our sourcing of goods online. I have simply and in any case found it easier and it has changed my shopping habits for good.
When this shambles is finished, I have no intention of returning to my old, high street and supermarket shopping habits. Whilst this will impact on shops, it will also impact on all associated high street businesses, Coffee bars , Bakers, Butchers, Pasty Shops, Fast food take aways, Charity Shops, Banks, Estate Agents, Travel agents.. all of them. Of course, it means I won’t be paying the Council to park either!
It is simply a question of how many ‘me’s’ there are and I believe there are an awful lot.

Of course all of the above will in the medium term have a massive impact on those who are currently ecstatic at the prospect of compulsory mask wearing whenever in a shop. Very soon there may not be many shops or associated high street outlets left.. or even a high street as they know it. They may be staring at whitewashed windows and wondering where it all went wrong.
Those shops need all of us, pro or anti mask to start using them in order to survive.. as was clearly demonstrated in the period pre Covid. That is not going to happen.

In years to come, ‘Shopping‘ may become a nostalgic tourist attraction, only occurring in pretty towns and Cities such as Bath, Chester and the like. Does anybody actually enjoy shopping in Bracknell or Sluff? You may even have to pay in order to enter and enjoy the antiquated experience, with the shop staff wearing period, 2020s clothing.. or earlier, like in a theme park! Now there’s a thought.. perhaps entrepreneurs such as Geoff Bezos at Amazon, Disney and co are thinking ahead as we speak.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:35 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Ours has tons of slots now - for click and collect and home delivery. They have only put the flat level charge for click and collect from the first week in August, so have given plenty of notice.

Other supermarkets may still offer free click and collect, wouldn't count on it lasting - except maybe for the high end, as it costs them so much to provide the service.
Ours had tons up until yesterday, I asked my DiL who always does click and collect and she couldn’t get her usual slot.

As for the fee increase I wasn’t aware of that as I started going back out to the supermarket about 4/5 weeks ago so obviously missed the announcement.

Edited at 11:13 AM.
Old 18 Jul 20, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I totally get where CFB is coming from, and agree that the high street is all but done.

My stance however is to wear the mask whilst Food shopping and limit my trips to other shops for essentials only. Apart from Primark, all my clothes shopping will be done on the two weekly food run.

Supermarkets will survive Imho as one day they may be the only place you can buy clothes and see them in the flesh before purchase.

Disney332
Old 18 Jul 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

Oh, didn't know they had put up their prices. I booked my regular Sunday for 2nd August, and only paid my usual £1. However, will continue to use for the foreseeable future, and I'm happy to pay £1.50 for them to pick and pack for me. I've also got a delivery saver for Morrisons, but rarely use it as there is always so much missing. Interesting how we have changed our shopping habits, as I was always in the supermarkets.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 20, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I believe that online shopping take will absolutely go through the roof and perhaps the Supermarkets are anticipating this.

Whilst many are talking about their being pleased now that compulsory mask wearing is to happen, it is very clear that there are many who are not and that may be either partially or totally lost to the direct shopping experience. This will impact heavily on Council budgets as they lose business rates, car parking fees etc. They will need to get that money elsewhere.

This aversion to blanket mask wearing may put the final nail in the coffin of High Street and possibly even Supermarket retail. It is no secret that the High Streets were on the bones of their backsides in many towns before Covid even reared it’s ugly head.
It is also no secret that Supermarkets were already shutting down tills and encouraging the removal of staff-customer interface through self checkout and online weekly shopping in order to cut staff and overheads (halved over 7 years in my local Asda).
Banks will use the dramatic removal of actual cash usage and also the decreased footfall in High Streets as an excuse to get rid of Cash ATM’s and also accelerate their bank closure programmes. (Yet more jobs lost with taxpayers becoming benefits claimants).

Me? I will not be entering any shop unless I have no choice as of next Friday. Geoff Bezos and co will be rubbing their hands in glee as I and many others expand our sourcing of goods online. I have simply and in any case found it easier and it has changed my shopping habits for good.
When this shambles is finished, I have no intention of returning to my old, high street and supermarket shopping habits. Whilst this will impact on shops, it will also impact on all associated high street businesses, Coffee bars , Bakers, Butchers, Pasty Shops, Fast food take aways, Charity Shops, Banks, Estate Agents, Travel agents.. all of them. Of course, it means I won’t be paying the Council to park either!
It is simply a question of how many ‘me’s’ there are and I believe there are an awful lot.

Of course all of the above will in the medium term have a massive impact on those who are currently ecstatic at the prospect of compulsory mask wearing whenever in a shop. Very soon there may not be many shops or associated high street outlets left.. or even a high street as they know it. They may be staring at whitewashed windows and wondering where it all went wrong.
Those shops need all of us, pro or anti mask to start using them in order to survive.. as was clearly demonstrated in the period pre Covid. That is not going to happen.

In years to come, ‘Shopping‘ may become a nostalgic tourist attraction, only occurring in pretty towns and Cities such as Bath, Chester and the like. Does anybody actually enjoy shopping in Bracknell or Sluff? You may even have to pay in order to enter and enjoy the antiquated experience, with the shop staff wearing period, 2020s clothing.. or earlier, like in a theme park! Now there’s a thought.. perhaps entrepreneurs such as Geoff Bezos at Amazon, Disney and co are thinking ahead as we speak.
Summed my thoughts entirely. For the last few years the high street has become less and less appealing to the point that pre Covid it’d only be a hair cut that meant I’d visit the high street. We’ve been on line with Tesco for years and now on line for everything else is the first port of call.
There seems to be a nostalgia for a high street that is very different to the one that’s emerged over the last few years.
It’s a bit like when a pub near where I grew up recently closed. Thousands signed a petition to keep it open. I know the landlord and he said that if all those thousands who’d signed the petition had actually used the pub then it wouldn’t have been in the position that it needed to close

For the high street to survive it needs regular footfalll but I don’t think it’s being doing anywhere enough to attract paying customers
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm puzzled as to where all these quiet high streets are because ours is jam packed with people , both inside and outside, queuing for the shops. Been a couple of times now and it seems like as many people as before. Maybe there will be fewer when masks are compulsory, but not from the look of it.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List