Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 23 Aug 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MsSparkles
Excited about Disney

Cambridge?

Booked a last minute break to Cambridge for next weekend. Not been there before and plan to go on a walking tour of the city (if they are running?). It will just be me and DH. Can anyone recommend any things to do/places to eat. I have looked at a few things on Tripadvisor but I always trust Dibbers advice!

1990 - Disney World (I Drive), 1997 - Disney World (I Drive), 2007 & 2008 - Disneyland Paris, 2009 & 2011 - Disney World (I Drive & LBV) , 2013 - Disneyland California (offsite) - 2015 Disney World (BCL & LBV) , 2017 & 2022 Disney World (LBV) Plus many other US holidays and road trips (aiming to visit every state )
MsSparkles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

It's a lovely place to wander around. I would definitely take a lovely relaxed ride in a punt, like these ones, I'm sure you'll be able to walk up and get one if you don't want to pre book.

traditionalpuntingcompan...ing-cambridge/

A tour of a University with a graduate would be really interesting as well

getyourguide/activ...14?utm_force=0

Cambridge also has 2 shopping areas, the indoor Grafton centre and the outside shops, these are seperated by a park area which you walk through, about 10/15 mins walk from one to the other.

I haven't been for a couple of years so can't accurately recommend any places to eat tbh.
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Aliloo
Getting Excited

It’s fairly easy to walk yourself around too if the tours aren’t. There are lots of “chain” restaurants but I really like
butchannies/
If you like decent burgers.
Aliloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Aliloo
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by f1girly View Post
It's a lovely place to wander around. I would definitely take a lovely relaxed ride in a punt, like these ones, I'm sure you'll be able to walk up and get one if you don't want to pre book.

traditionalpuntingcompan...ing-cambridge/

A tour of a University with a graduate would be really interesting as well

getyourguide/activ...14?utm_force=0

Cambridge also has 2 shopping areas, the indoor Grafton centre and the outside shops, these are seperated by a park area which you walk through, about 10/15 mins walk from one to the other.

I haven't been for a couple of years so can't accurately recommend any places to eat tbh.
The Grand Arcade has also opened now with a large John Lewis & other similar higher end shops.
Aliloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Lovely city to walk around kings collage worth a look

Fitzwilliam Museum
Have a walk along the The River Cam
cartoonp is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

It really depends on what your interests are.

If you like museums then the Fitzwilliam has a great collection, there are other smaller museums too like the museums of archeology and anthropology, there is also a computer museum if your a tech.

If you enjoy shopping then their are two shopping centres containing the usual shops but Cambridge has its share of independents down Rose Cresent or Trinity St and Kings Parade, check out the grasshopper perpetual clock on KIngs Parade much loved by Chinese tourists.

Punting is fun, either punt yourself which is harder than it looks or get a guided trip, go from the Mill Pond two choices , out to Granchester or through the city backs. Punts go in both directections but from different places as the river us at different levels.

If you like walking then walk out to Granchester through Granchester Meadows, made more famous by Pink Floyd. Check out the tiny terrace houses in Newnham at the start of Granchester Meadows that now cost about £800K to a Million pounds. Once in Granchester think about Rupert Brooke the poet and have tea and cake in the Orchard tea room, actually old fashioned deck chairs under ancient apple trees. Much loved tradition, a great place to take the Sunday papers and relax. It's about a mile and a half each way.

Try to get to see the inside of the colleges, I'm not sure how many will be open at the moment. Try to climb the tower of Great St Mary's in the market square to get a great city view. Go inside Kings College Chapel and think about Christmas nine lessons and carols that come from there. A service is magical even if you are not religious, such a great choir if they are open.

Sad that there is no open air Shakespeare this year its lovely to see in the college gardens, something we often do with visitors.

Hope this helps.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
MsSparkles
Excited about Disney

Thanks for all your replies. How could I forget punting? That might be fun, but think we will get a guided tour otherwise I can see us falling in!

Looks like the weather might be against us so might do a little shopping and the walk to Grantchester and visiting the Orchard Tea Room looks good, always happy for an excuse to eat cake! Just hope the rain stays away

1990 - Disney World (I Drive), 1997 - Disney World (I Drive), 2007 & 2008 - Disneyland Paris, 2009 & 2011 - Disney World (I Drive & LBV) , 2013 - Disneyland California (offsite) - 2015 Disney World (BCL & LBV) , 2017 & 2022 Disney World (LBV) Plus many other US holidays and road trips (aiming to visit every state )
MsSparkles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MsSparkles View Post
Thanks for all your replies. How could I forget punting? That might be fun, but think we will get a guided tour otherwise I can see us falling in!

Looks like the weather might be against us so might do a little shopping and the walk to Grantchester and visiting the Orchard Tea Room looks good, always happy for an excuse to eat cake! Just hope the rain stays away
Just worth noting the Orchard has very little indoor seating so maybe avoid in the rain. There are a a couple of good pubs for lunch though.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List