Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Sep 20, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Nikkip2019
A Guest at All-Stars

Thinking about a trip in April

I would like to take my family which is me, husband and 3 kids (13,7,6) on a trip to california. My two boys have ASD so was thinking it would be good to have a villa or something similar like they have in Orlando. We will have about 12 days on this trip thinking we would need to visit Disney thinking 3 days. My kids love swimming and playparks and running wild. Is there somewhere in L.A that would suit our needs or would it be best to stay outside. Any help or advice would be brilliant.
Nikkip2019 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nikkip2019 View Post
I would like to take my family which is me, husband and 3 kids (13,7,6) on a trip to california. My two boys have ASD so was thinking it would be good to have a villa or something similar like they have in Orlando. We will have about 12 days on this trip thinking we would need to visit Disney thinking 3 days. My kids love swimming and playparks and running wild. Is there somewhere in L.A that would suit our needs or would it be best to stay outside. Any help or advice would be brilliant.
I am not really sure on this one.. and I am a big fan of the West Coast.
Traditionally, the West Coast is very much multi centre as things are so spread out between SFO and San Diego.

LA is big (huge), spread out, congested and busy.

I will step outside the box and suggest San Diego. It is quieter, generally nicer, spread out, less crowded and has some really good beaches. In San Diego itself, you have...

Seaworld
Balboa Park with its museums.
San Diego Zoo
USS Midway
Kansas City bar and grill (Top gun)
Harbour trips (very interesting).
Beaches
Horse riding
The Mexican Border on the beach.

If you want to travel 40 miles.

Legoland at Carlsbad
La Jolla
Scripps aquarium.

You are welcome to look at the tail end of the trip report in my signature.
I am sure that ‘Aims’ sticky will help.. as undoubtably will San Diego resident ‘Aims‘ herself if you ask.
A look at a Gosandiego7 Card will give a comprehensive list of the sights on offer.

Hoping this helps and it was forwarded with consideration to your two lads and ASD.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Also not an expert on vacation rentals but with the cost of property in California I think anything resembling an Orlando villa would be very expensive in the LA area.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Airbnb or home away would be a starting point
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Holidaylettings .co.uk (a part of the much larger Expedia) have worked very well for us in Anaheim, San Diego, Davenport and Kissimmee.

Importantly, they have worked well when minor snags have occurred.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I will just mention it as I don’t think anyone else has yet: Disneyland isn’t in LA.

It’s in Anaheim and there are vacation home rentals but you won’t, unfortunately, find villas of the size and scope in Orlando (if at all, I’ve never looked too closely as way outside my budget).

Given what you’re after, I wonder if a different destination might be better? Also I would be concerned at this point about future restrictions in California impacting your enjoyment. It’s a long way to go and the jetlag is tougher than the East Coast, it would be a shame if parks were operating at very reduced hours / shows and attractions closed / water parks not yet open etc?
Old 1 Oct 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

But an area I would suggest if you’re locked into doing it is Sunset Beach. It’s a five minute drive to Huntington Beach (Hollister and Surfing fame!), half an hour easy drive to Disneyland (surface streets avoiding the freeways).

It’s a residential area on a beach, it didn’t have the feel of a tourist area but there were restaurants here and there (no chains) but it was significantly cheaper than everywhere else I found.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Nikkip2019
A Guest at All-Stars

Thanks for your advice. I realise that Disney is not in L.A but thought it was close by. I dunno i keep looking at all the youtube videos about roadtrips etc but don't think my boys would cope with all the driving and dh likes a base. I am going to wait and see what happens with the pandemic if i don't go this year it is defo on my list for future trips. I think San Diego sounds fab
Nikkip2019 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nikkip2019 View Post
Thanks for your advice. I realise that Disney is not in L.A but thought it was close by. I dunno i keep looking at all the youtube videos about roadtrips etc but don't think my boys would cope with all the driving and dh likes a base. I am going to wait and see what happens with the pandemic if i don't go this year it is defo on my list for future trips. I think San Diego sounds fab
Depending on where you stay in LA and how bad the traffic is it can take two hours to get to Disneyland 😮