Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 24 Jun 15, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
66Caunce
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Flowertot View Post
Will they take you back to the airport? I notice you said they wouldn't collect? May use them to take us to and from dc, then to airport on way home! Question if my husband and I both register, does that mean we get 2 free rides? 😉
I may have to add another tip now but here goes:

There's nothing stopping you getting an Uber back to the airport. We did.

In terms of getting picked up when you first arrive at MCO, you could a) get a Mears to a place very close to the airport then request an Uber from there b) get the Lynx bus one stop then request your Uber c) jump on one of the free shuttles and get off at the first hotel then request your Uber...

Put it this way, going MCO - hotel on arrival day cost us $50 with Mears. Going hotel - MCO with Uber cost us $20.

And if you both download the app and both apply codes then, yes, two rides free!
September 2017 - Port Orleans Riverside/Grand/St Pete's/Disney Cruise

September 2019 - AKL + Off-site

Edited at 11:39 PM.
66Caunce is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 15, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
PrincessCastle
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 50
Thanks for all the info, excellent!
1999 - Hotel Cheyene DLP * 2002 - Explorers Hotel DLP * 2003 - Quality Inn I-Drive * 2006 - Explorers Hotel DLP * 2012 - Rosen Inn I-Drive * 2014 - New Port Bay DLP * 2016 - Beach Club * 2018 - Give Kids The World Village

IG:alixbennettx
PrincessCastle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 15, 06:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Flowertot
Apprentice Imagineer

Flowertot's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by 66Caunce View Post
I may have to add another tip now but here goes:

There's nothing stopping you getting an Uber back to the airport. We did.

In terms of getting picked up when you first arrive at MCO, you could a) get a Mears to a place very close to the airport then request an Uber from there b) get the Lynx bus one stop then request your Uber c) jump on one of the free shuttles and get off at the first hotel then request your Uber...

Put it this way, going MCO - hotel on arrival day cost us $50 with Mears. Going hotel - MCO with Uber cost us $20.

And if you both download the app and both apply codes then, yes, two rides free!

That's great thanks, we have a car when we arrive but hand it back when we go to Hrh! Thanks for this
Flowertot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 15, 06:51 AM  
Link to this Post
MissJRabbit
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks for this Will hopefully be able to save some money using Uber.

Are the drivers safe?
MissJRabbit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 15, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
alibali
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 1
thank you, going to use this when we go
Old 25 Jun 15, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Okay, stupid question alert! I take it that you need wifi or data to use the Uber app? Not sure if we'll have access to wifi everywhere we will be and don't want to run up large bills by using data. How did you get around this?

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 15, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
66Caunce
Excited about Disney

I've updated the first post to include the answers to these questions.

Originally Posted by MissJRabbit View Post
Thanks for this Will hopefully be able to save some money using Uber.

Are the drivers safe?
The drivers are as safe as getting into a taxi with someone you don't know. 95% of our drivers were fantastic - extremely friendly, knowledgeable, chatty and loved the fact we were British and using Uber. The other 5% were just a bit odd in the same way you get odd taxi drivers. We had one guy who made inappropriate comments about scantily-clad women we passed on the sidewalk (I doubt he'd do it with a woman in the car but as we were two guys he probably assumed we'd enjoy it!), one guy who had a beat up old car full of junk food wrappers (he'd come out as Uber had raised prices for an hour or so - a lot of drivers only bother Ubering when prices are raised) and one guy who was annoyed his previous passengers hadn't tipped him to the point we felt a little intimidated to tip. But all of these could happen in a normal cab and, like I say, the majority were fantastic. We had very quiet foreigners, chatty black dudes (mainly!) and even the odd woman driver. Sometimes, by chance, you'll get the same driver you've had on a previous day, too.

The fact you rate the drivers out of five stars when you've completed your journey means, if they do something naughty, they could lose their job. All star ratings and comments are monitored by Uber. I would argue this is safer than getting into a taxi. How many taxis have you got into where you've not known the name of the driver and the make, model and registration of the car? Every single taxi I've ever taken, for me! With Uber, you get all that information. Plus, you can track your journey on the app - the little Uber car shows where you are, gives an ETA and you can watch yourself on screen moving towards your destination. We often joked that if we were taken off track somewhere, we could see that and discreetly dial 911 for help! Obviously this never happened and, again, if we were in a normal taxi, we'd never know if we were going the right way or not.

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Okay, stupid question alert! I take it that you need wifi or data to use the Uber app? Not sure if we'll have access to wifi everywhere we will be and don't want to run up large bills by using data. How did you get around this?
There aren't any stupid questions! I've tried to make the guide as simple yet informative as possible but there will be things I've missed, like this.

You do need wifi or data, yes. We used a 3 Feel At Home PAYG SIM card. We ordered it online for free, and when it arrived topped it up with £15. We then logged in to our account online and bought the Feel At Home bundle for £15. This gives you 25GB data, more than enough to leave it on for a month and not exceed the limit. Even if you did, as it's PAYG, you'd simply be cut off until you topped up again. Our £15 lasted the full two weeks and we still have £10 on it!

I had just finished one contract before we went out so ordered a new phone and used my old contract phone as our USA phone. If you're already with 3 on a contract, log in to your account online and select the International thingy to make your phone a Feel At Home one. You'll get the same as PAYG without having to pay the £15.

Data signal was brilliant everywhere, we were never stranded, except on one occasion at Old Key West where the data signal was terrible. We still managed to get an Uber to pick us up with some perseverance.

Edited at 11:27 AM.
66Caunce is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 15, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

I really must download it for our trip, I have it here already. Am I too early to put codes in for a credit for next year ie do they expire? Would be great to use it once so hubby doesn't have to drive so can have a drink.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 15, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
66Caunce
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by MariaLynda View Post
I really must download it for our trip, I have it here already. Am I too early to put codes in for a credit for next year ie do they expire? Would be great to use it once so hubby doesn't have to drive so can have a drink.
Wherever you download it, it's valid all over the world. I thought the app would be different in the US, but it's not.

As for codes, they do expire unfortunately. The latest expiration date I can find is 01/01/2016 from Uber themselves: RIDIN30 gets $30 off your first ride. Considering we got from I Drive to MK one day for $27 that's some deal!

If you're planning to try it out in the UK first, or get an Uber to the airport for free from your hotel, then use the code savethestudent20 for £20 off your first ride.

We have since deleted the app as we don't live in a UK Uber area. I'm interested to see if, when I download it next year, I can sign up as a new user and use the codes again... If this is the case, as I suspect it will be with a new email address and new bank details, it'll mean the difference between a hotel shuttle and a free Uber to the airport on the morning of departure and another free one on my partner's phone from Disney hotel to Universal hotel. We'd then use a final Uber for Universal hotel to car hire place to collect a car for our final six days.

Edited at 12:47 PM.
Old 25 Jun 15, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Ah Okay I will wait for the end of the year and perhaps get dh time get it as I've already got it, I had a code for £10, got it end of last year. Only used it once tho. Thank you

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List