Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Aug 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Diz
Apprentice Imagineer

Home today virgin flight luggage very wet

Hi all

First of all had a fantastic holiday.

Delayed in MCO last night due to big thunder storm so the 19.00 mco to man boarded around 8.30 and take off was sometime after 9.

Just home to Cardiff a couple of hours ago as delay meant we missed train and next one cancelled etc. so have only just opened suitcases and 2 out of the 3 contents are soaking wet. I really mean soaking wet. So new clothes bought in states and the stuff we took with us wet and all the cardboard boxes are virtually all falling apart as so wet. Some of the contents can be saved as sealed but some can’t. I had bought red lobster biscuit mix, Cake mixes, pancake mix etc.

Anyone else on the same flight had the same issues? Guess I need to email virgin but not sure how I evidence wet stuff as not easy to photograph. What would you do.?

DH case was opened and searched but mine wasn’t and my stuff is wet as well. Only one that is dry is DS.

Edited at 06:52 PM.
Diz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
johnny1352
Imagineer

johnny1352's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We always use tough bin liners to place clothes in and then into case for such an eventuality. We ah e done for years due to this happening to a friend about fifteen years ago
Old 13 Aug 19, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Yes happened to,us years ago
Cases are lined with bubble wrap clothes in water proof packing cubes and everything else is wrapped in ziplock bags or Tupperware boxes
Etc
Don't think,you will get anywhere with Virgin
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Dan's Mum
VIP Dibber

I absolutely sympathise with you as when there is a thunderstorm and luggage is out it gets left unfortunately and I am sure it isn’t covered.

I hope you manage to get everything washed/saved.

I have heard so much of this and for anyone else I use/pack everything in Tupperware boxes, travel vac bags plus carrier bags.

Dee xx
Dan's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

So sorry to hear this. I have sat on planes in the US as a thunderstorm roles inland the leading crew are instructed to take cover. The luggage simply sits out in the storm until it has passed. If your luggage is at the top of the pile it will get very wet.

Some airlines containerise the luggage and that stops some of the problem. I dont think you will succeed with a claim from virgin, you could try your insurance.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Had a similar thing happen travelling from Singapore to Sydney. Wifes case was really wet but mine was bone dry. Qantas weren't interested. Its just one of those things that happen.
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairy Helen
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We had exactly the same happen to us a few years ago. We had to pour water out of the case. So now we bag everything in our soft case in case. It’s awful isn’t it...opening up the case and it’s all soaking! Virgin offered to pay for everything to be dry cleaned but we didn’t bother. Just rewashed everything, it is annoying when you don’t know about cases left out in a storm.
Sorry you’ve lost some food items maybe virgin will help? We emailed and rang customer services.
Fairy Helen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

No help but sorrg for your losses. I always put a hug plastic bag in our cases and then pack inside that, jyst for future reference xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Have hard cases but also use plastic bags to cover the contents. Lesson learnt from the past. Hope you manage to save some of your items.
Old 14 Aug 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Diz
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks everyone. We have had this happen before years ago but not in MCO that was when we had soft fabric cases and one of the reasons we switched to hard cases! Oh well doing our best to dry out contents and washing all clothes. As most say no point in bothering to complain to virgin I will not waste my time. Thanks all
Diz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List