Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Feb 18, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you underestimate the number of people who have an ‘extreme’ allergy. I can’t profess to know that many people but I know of 4 individuals from 3 separate families with peanut / tree nut allergies and I know if one with an anaphylactic allergy to dairy. Should they never go on holiday ? We live on an island so it’s difficult to leave without using public transport !
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Bubbasmum View Post
Depends

I go into shock with all nuts. YOu might hear some people refer to peanuts and tree nuts as they are two different types of nuts.

Although they are completely different some people react to both... some to one or the other.

As a precautionary advice many people are told that if they are allergic to one type... avoid all. However, after tests... I am greedy and am indeed allergic to all !
It must be such a worry.

Here's a thought. We love popping into Mizners Lounge in the Grand Floridian for a drink. One of the Ladies takes your order and brings them to you plus a bowl of nibble things which include nuts.

Now one could refuse them I know. But I bet her hands are covered in the oil and residue from them! Shows how careful an allergy sufferer must be.

I am mindful of these things as our 2 year old Grandson is both dairy and lactose intolerant. Mind you that is a horrendous stomach and gut pain issue not a life threatening issue.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Plato
Serious Dibber

The trouble with airlines asking people to do things is that a lot of people just don't give a damn.

Think about airline announcements about:

Listening to the safety announcements
Keeping your seat belts fastened until the seat belt light is switched off
Switching your mobile device to airplane mode
Not using your phone until back in the terminal

and not standing on seats and sticking your bum in another person's face, or do they not make announcements about this? (I just wish they would! )

Sadly lots of people in the world are ignorant, so I guess people with allergies will always have to be ultra careful in enclosed public spaces like planes. The airline's announcements will mean diddly-squat.
Plato is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

This is Virgins view on it -

Our nut policy

Peanuts are never knowingly included in any of our meals. However our meals are not produced in a nut-free environment so may contain traces.

All other nuts may also be served on our flights to other passengers as part of the menu ingredients and/or the snack service, in any cabin. We also can’t stop other passengers from bringing (or eating) their own food onboard, which may include nuts.

In view of the above, we strongly encourage passengers to take all necessary precautions to prepare for the possibility of inadvertent exposure.

virginatlantic/gb/en...onditions.html

I have been on many flights where the CC have said don't eat nuts etc... then serve pesto pasta !
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02

Edited at 08:29 PM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Flimsey
Very Serious Dibber

Flimsey's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I never realised how dangerous nut allergies were, it will definitely make me follow any instructions given by the cabin crew.
I know it sounds awful but I though people we just over-reacting, but this post has made me realise I was wrong.
Flimsey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kate0407 View Post
We are flying with Virgin in April and they’ve been very good in providing a fruit only meal for my daughter who has anaphylactic allergies to Nut and Egg. They will also be making an announcement on board requesting that people refrain from consuming nut products on board.

I have three children and two of them have the same life threatening allergies. My daughter stop breathing at 9 Months old when we discovered her nut allergy.

Ignorant comments help no one and they certainly don’t detract from the fact that if u choose to sit in a metal tube miles in the sky and ignore what has been requested of you, god forbid your holiday might be soured by the death of a fellow passenger mid air.
i would still be extremely cautious with any allergy meals virgin provide, as virgin will/do not provide a nut free meal just an allergy meal. We always take our own food for our daughter since the meal they provided basically consisted of a lettuce leaf and two rice cakes and the breakfast was a cerial bar containing peanuts, Hazelnuts & almonds !

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
anniebee65
Imagineer

My ds's girlfriend has a severe nut allergy and it has been a revelation to me. She carries two pens and my son carries one. She had a severe reaction in a restaurant once, despite clearly explaining before we ordered. We all thought she was going to die. She is 18 years old. Should she never travel in an aeroplane her whole life for fear someone can't make it through a flight without peanuts? I don't think I'll ever be able to eat a peanut product again after witnessing her go into severe anaphylactic shock.

Edited at 10:29 PM.
anniebee65 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jennieg2
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’ve just been reading a trip report where Virgin served a ‘Nutty Nougat’ bar containing hazelnuts as part of the afternoon snack!
Old 7 Feb 18, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ros1
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Im sorry, I know people are going to be mixed about this, but I stand on the side that feels that why should, 1) the airline be responsible for telling everyone and 2) why should everyone have to be careful what they eat.
It is up to the passenger to feel that they can fly and are healthy to fly.
I have flown several different airlines in the last few years and twice on American owned ones, they have told allergy sufferers that they would not limit anything and they would have to disembark if they were not safe to fly. A UK one did announce but passengers ignored it and the staff admitted there was nothing they could actually do to stop people.
You could be sitting next to or near someone who decides to open nuts either knowingly or unknowingly what ever is announced.

Next, they will start banning meat on planes as it offends.
What a disgusting point of view. My 7 year old son suffers from severe nut allergy and we are flying to Florida in May so this is something we are worried about. Nut allergy is not about offending people, it is not a choice. Do you have children? How would you feel seeing your child's face swell like the elephant man because somebody near them opened a bag of nuts? Why would you knowingly cause someone harm and disrupt the travel plans of everyone on that flight? Why should my child miss out on an experience like Florida just so people like you are not inconvenienced for 8 hours? Need a snack? Open a bag of raisins instead.
ros1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post

One of the economy meal choices definitely had nuts as an ingredient in our Virgin flight last year, can’t remember what it was though.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List