Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Apr 18, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
pokerbanter
Excited about Disney

I can GUARANTEE you will not get a cheaper price for my holiday next October by waiting until 3 months out on a like for like basis. I have $200 gift card & dining plan for 4 people for 3 weeks. Thats A LOT of food value & savings. I will book flights 11 months out at cost of around £400 each.

It looks like OP is taking a very narrow view that because they are just 2 people staying offsite for 2 weeks, that thats how everyones holiday is. It isnt.
pokerbanter is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by pokerbanter View Post
It looks like OP is taking a very narrow view that because they are just 2 people staying offsite for 2 weeks, that thats how everyones holiday is. It isnt.

I think that is the difference.

If you have flexibilty in dates and where you stay. You probably get the better deal booking later

If you are restricted on flexibility - e.g. you want specific dates, resorts, rooms or anything else, the pendulum swings the other way and you will generally be better off planning and booking in advance.

But there is no right or wrong way. I hope we all get the best deal we all possibly can. It aint cheap whichever way you do it!
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 05:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Interesting thread for me. Apart from the various reasons mentioned (availability of certain accommodation & dining plans), it is the case that booking very early is more common in UK/Ireland than in many other countries. Ditto long stays of 2-3 weeks in Orlando.

Tour operators in other European countries put holidays on sale later, and long stays in Orlando are far less common (hence deals like 14 for 7 day Disney tickets being developed for the UK market).

Many people also book closer to the time, though websites like the Dibb will usually have a greater concentration of early bookers / planners. They are here because they are super-enthusiastic, and nothing at all wrong with that.

Personally, the only thing I'd usually do more than 6 months out is secure mileage redemption flight seats, but have occasionally booked specific accommodation (not Florida) earlier than that.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 05:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I like to have a countdown! I book when I have saved up the cost and then have 18 months to save the spends.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

We've had a couple of trips in the last few years, where we couldn't book as early as normal - and I did find the flight prices went up. Also, the condo we usually stay in books up well in advance.

That's for a couple, no kids, staying off site.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We are DVC Members so can only book at 11 Months out, albeit we can always get what we want as that's when the booking window opens.

Flights we book at the same time and I have never found them cheaper later on.

But when we used to book package deals (many many years ago) I would book 15 months out at least.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Mobile

I think the Op having the luxury of avoiding school holidays and not fussed to any degree where they stay so long as the price is right is probably doing what is right for them but doesn't fully appreciate why others benefit from booking early and why the restrictions of a package aren't for everyone.
Really thought I don't understand why it matters to them if strangers book a different way... Who cares. The Op does seem a fair young inexperienced traveller on a restricted budget who plays it safe. Which is fine if they are happy with that restricted range.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
D4ni3ll3-8
Imagineer

D4ni3ll3-8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
In the past we have always booked just before the 180 day Mark mainly because we have stayed at Value resorts and free dining was never offered etc. This time I booked May last year for this year, got free dining at a moderate $200 spending money and I must say I would do it again! It’s nice having something to look forward to :-)

Danielle x
D4ni3ll3-8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
wed2ared
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I've always planned far out for dining and school hols but must admit I am monitoring this year very closely for prices to see if last minute ( or a few months anyway) would be cheaper.
wed2ared is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
These are all the reasons we book early.

Our dates are fixed because of OH’s annual leave, we love to have the free dining offer. Waiting would likely lose us our standard rooms and the $200 gift card. Plus, is there anything wrong with wanting a countdown?

With regard to flights, I do need to get better at holding my nerve, so I’m going to put that to the test this time in waiting for an Expedia deal for our flights and Universal hotel.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List