Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Aug 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by THOscar View Post
Thank you,

That statement does Not ‘Ban’ the coke bottles

“TSA officers will maintain the discretion to prohibit any item through the screening checkpoint if they believe it poses a security threat”

All that says is if a TSA officer believes something to be a security threat it won’t be allowed, which is the same for every other single item.

Edited at 11:49 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Thank you,

That statement does Not ‘Ban’ the coke bottles

“TSA officers will maintain the discretion to prohibit any item through the screening checkpoint if they believe it poses a security threat”
Prior to that statement the AskTSA twitter did declare them banned though, hence why the questions are being asked. Official statement is more helpful now though.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
That is just a news article the same as a news article on the DIBB,

You are saying that the TSA have officially stated...

I'm asking where is that statement, I don't mean some news article that some journalist has written, I mean the actual official statement from the TSA.

Stu. The news article repeated what the official statement from the TSA said. I repeated it in my post. Here's an image of the tweet from AskTSA (an official TSA twitter account) stating that "this item is still considered a replica and is not allowed in carry-on or checked bags".

I'm not sure what other proof you want? Do you want the TSA to personally hand you a hand-written statement?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I'm not sure what other proof you want? Do you want the TSA to personally hand you a hand-written statement?
Not trying to be argumentative Just all the fake news and things taken out of context, twisted and used as click bait is really annoying and I like to question it. Even if I'm proved wrong on something, I'd rather question something if there is doubt than just follow the herd, so to speak.

What I want to see is an official statement on the official TSA website, not a single twitter reply.

An official statement (linked above) and here below, which I would trust more than something on twitter does not say they are banned.

tsa.gov/news/2019/08/28/...d-soda-bottles

Edited at 12:25 PM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
An official statement (linked above) and here below, which I would trust more than something on twitter does not say they are banned.
Fair enough. So you're saying that you don't trust TSA's official AskTSA twitter account. Ok.

But officially, on TSA's official twitter account, the TSA have stated (and I quote) "this item is still considered a replica and is not allowed in carry-on or checked bags". You might not trust it, but the TSA have stated that they are "not allowed".

Every other legitimate news source is reporting this confirmation from TSA's official twitter account stating that these are officially banned. I guess it's up to the individual whether they trust what TSA have stated on their twitter account and several news media have repeated or not.

Like I said, it's like the old "middle names on the ESTA" saga. Officially the TSA have stated that the name on the ESTA must agree with the passport - if the passport contains the middle name then the ESTA must also contain the middle name. However, although that it the official line from the TSA, in practice it doesn't seem to make any difference. No one has been stopped for not including their middle name and I wouldn't expect them to be stopped.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:02 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Fair enough.

But officially, on TSA's official twitter account, the TSA have stated (and I quote) "this item is still considered a replica and is not allowed in carry-on or checked bags". You might not trust it, but the TSA have stated that they are "not allowed".

Every other legitimate news source is reporting this confirmation from TSA's official twitter account stating that these are officially banned. I guess it's up to the individual whether they trust what TSA have stated on their twitter account and several news media have repeated or not.

Like I said, it's like the old "middle names on the ESTA" saga. Officially the TSA have stated that the name on the ESTA must agree with the passport - if the passport contains the middle name then the ESTA must also contain the middle name. However, although that it the official line from the TSA, in practice it doesn't seem to make any difference. No one has been stopped for not including their middle name and I wouldn't expect them to be stopped.
If you bother to read their later posts about them they now just refer people to the 'official statement' I linked to earlier. They are allowed to change their stance on these things.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

I am really glad I got mine home before all this hoo-ha! We brought a set back in our checked luggage in June, for my Star Wars-mad son as a souvenir. (We had been to Disneyland, not Florida, obviously!) I drank the contents (which means I must love my son very much as I HATE coke!), and we just brought back the empty bottles for him. He was over the moon! But when we go to WDW later this year I'm not that fussed about bringing any more back; I just feel sorry for the folk who have yet to go, who want these - they will probably have to make a decision as to whether to risk it or not. Although as others have said, you're only losing $20-worth of plastic bottles if they are confiscated, and not $200-worth of lightsabre!
Old 30 Aug 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by THOscar View Post
If you bother to read their later posts about them they now just refer people to the 'official statement' I linked to earlier. They are allowed to change their stance on these things.
Yes, of course they are.

But that doesn't mean that at one point they didn't state that these Coke bottles "are not allowed". The TSA did officially state they were banned. That might have been a mistake and they may now be "reviewing this issue". I understand that. I don't expect them to actually be banned.

But Stu was asking where the TSA officially stated they were not allowed. I provided that info. Stu didn't believe it. I'm not sure whether he didn't believe me or whether he doesn't believe what AskTSA state?

Which I guess raises the bigger question: which is more believable - an organisation's official twitter account or an organisation's official webpage? If an organisation tweets something via it's official twitter account should we say that's "unofficial" or "official"?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:17 PM.
Old 30 Aug 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
But Stu was asking where the TSA officially stated they were not allowed. I provided that info. Stu didn't believe it. I'm not sure whether he didn't believe me or whether he doesn't believe what AskTSA state?
I didn't believe the answer given by AskTSA represented an official "Statement" and I still don't.
That was my whole point. It was nothing to do with not believing you or anyone else, there wasn't anything personal in my questions or responses.

Normally social media outlets are not a reliable source of facts, even if that source belongs to the official organisation. Many many times we see something posted as a response to a question on social media sites (Twitter/Facebook) that is then contradicted or changed by an official statement later on put out by the organisation.

This is a perfect case in example, a question is asked on the twitter account, a responder answers the question, the media take that answer and run with it because it makes a good news story. They don't check with the official organisation if that is correct, they don't wait for an official statement, they just run with it and that then causes confusion with the public. And here we are now with an official statement on the website contradicting that particular twitter answer.

Twitter can be a reliable source of information from the official organisations, but I feel we shouldn't take what is essentially just a single answer to a question as being correct or completely factual until it has been ratified. If the twitter account had put out an official statement that is different than just a question being answered.

Which I guess raises the bigger question: which is more believable - an organisation's official twitter account or an organisation's official webpage? If an organisation tweets something via it's official twitter account should we say that's "unofficial" or "official"?
A statement on their website should always come before a tweet, usually a statement on a website isn't an off the cuff response, it's normally a well thought out considered and factual statement.
If the official organisation puts out a 'statement' on social media then again that will be well thought out, considered and factual. In that case would be considered just as official as the website statement.

The difference here is it wasn't what I would consider an official statement, it was just a reply to a question not a purposely crafted statement.

I guess it would be a bit like turning up at Security at the airport and asking a TSA officer a question and then taking their answer as an official statement. Yet if you were to ask another TSA officer you might get a completely different answer, especially when it's something new or something that would be a "Grey Area". Once an official statement has been issued then really you should get the same answer from every TSA officer you ask the same question to.

Just to be clear, I do the same here on the DIBB, I see responses from Disney on their social media and I report on it for example, but I try not to make it more than it actually is until I have official word or see a press release. Even though I have direct contact with Disney I find myself ocassionally questioning what is given out as answers on their social media accounts.

I do personally feel that currently many people are too ready to accept what they read or are told rather than step back and think for a minute and ask themselves "is this really correct"? I guess I'm just one of those people that always questions things, I alway have and I always will. I like to be factual. I rarely believe what I am told until I have proven it to myself

Edited at 03:49 PM.
Old 30 Aug 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

This probably doesn't help the thread that much, but I remember buying a bottle of Viktor and Rolf Spicebomb in Gatwick once and taking it in my carry-on, and wondering what they'd think if it showed up on the x-ray...

Never had any issues, and took another bottle with me on another trip with no issues.

Allergy-Friendly Food Report 2015
stan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List