Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 1 Nov 15, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Day 1: Epcot - Japan Hospitality Kiosk

Another adult drink to share from the outdoor stand opposite Teppan Edo.

A favourite from last year.

This had more of a pineapple flavour than last year which was stronger on the banana liqueur. I think I preferred this years version.

One bad thing was that it was garnished with a slice of orange this time instead of a cocktail umbrella

The CM who served us was named Midori as well which I though was cute.

Total paid in cash (incl. any applicable tax) - $9.06

Edited at 10:41 PM.
MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 15, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Day 1: Epcot - Tangierine Café

Lunch was split over two locations as we couldn't decide where to go.

Ladies first and I chose Tangierine Café in Morocco. I had the chicken & lamb shawarma platter which was served with a side of Hummus, Tabouleh, Tangierine Couscous Salad and fresh Moroccan Bread.

Close up of the lamb:

Close up over the chicken:

Since the last time i've had this it has changed - the chicken is now shaved into long strips like doner meat instead of being in small chunks. I think I preferred the earlier version but this was still really good.

This meal is such a great change of pace to typical fast food. The meat is lean and juicy, not at all greasy like takeaway doner meat and I really liked the onions that go with it as they added a nice crunch. The bread is pillow soft and the Tabbouleh adds a fresh herby element. There is fruit inside the couscous and it's dressed with an almost sharp vinaigrette. All the different elements are just so tasty together. The only thing I didn't eat was the hummus as it's not my favourite and I was full from eating the rest. A thumbs up for this lunch

There was only one choice of dessert and that was Baklava.

Boy was this sweet! It is a pastry made of layers of crisp filo filled with chopped nuts and held together with syrup. It was super sticky, chewy and delicious but so rich and sickly I took it back to the room and ate it over 3 or 4 days. It was awesome though and thankfully I have a very sweet tooth.

To drink I just had a diet coke so no pictures.

Credits used here - 1 CS
Credits left - 14 CS,18 TS & 18 SC

Edited at 10:43 PM.
MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 15, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadMummy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Those drinks sound yummy!
Old 4 Nov 15, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Your photo of the Tokyo Sunset looks much nicer than theirs. I love that meal from 'Morocco' mmmmm
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 15, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Craft-ique
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
Your photo of the Tokyo Sunset looks much nicer than theirs.:
I was just thinking the same.

Great report so far.
Old 18 Nov 15, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Day 1: Epcot - Yorkshire County fish shop

Lunch pt. 2 was from the UK Pavilion and what else could we have but fish & chips?

The fake newspaper lining the tray is so cute. This was crisp and delicious but not quite as great as the fish & chips from Cooke's of Dublin in Disney Springs. The portion size was good and it was a fab taste of home (even though it was only day 1 ).

For dessert there is only one option - the Victoria Sponge. This recently replaced the previous Sugar cookie offering which let's face it, was not very fitting at all. We were both full so this got taken back to our room and became the first of many in the "dessert graveyard" that was our fridge. At one point I think there were about 5/6 uneaten sweets in there but to be fair over the course of our stay the vast majority did get eaten (90% by me ).

I forgot to take a proper picture so here is a collage I made from pictures courtesy of the DisneyFoodBlog.

As you can see there was not a massive amount of filling but I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It had a very traditional Victoria sandwich taste with (I believe) raspberry jam. The sponge itself was soft and moist. All that was missing is a dusting of icing sugar for visual effect. Overall, a much tastier and actually British inspired option.

Drink was just a bottle of water. Once we'd finished eating a very ballsy squirrel came scavenging out of the bushes but sadly he was too late! I couldn't believe how brazen it was.

Credits used here - 1 CS
Credits left - 13 CS,18 TS & 18 SC

Old 18 Nov 15, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Day 1: Disney Springs - Lava Lounge

Another visit to the awesome Lava Lounge patio overlooking the water.

Just a couple of cocktails to help cool us off after a walk around the shops.

I had the Strawberry Mojito.

If you are a lover of a traditional Mojito you may be a little disappointed as there was not a huge mint punch here. Instead it was just the most gorgeous sweet strawberry flavour without being fake or sickly. I loooved it and had 2.

Andy went for the Mango version of the Mojito.

I had a sip or two to test and it wasn't as nice as the strawberry version. Again no massive mint flavour nor strong mango flavour either. I likened it to alcoholic orange & mango squash. A bit watery. Perhaps my judgement was just clouded by my amazing drink. His next drink was just an Angry Orchard cider.

Total paid in cash (incl. any applicable tax but excluding tip) - $39.13 (the ocktails were $9.99 + tax each)

Edited at 04:41 PM.
Old 18 Nov 15, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Day 1: Disney Springs - T-Rex

Before heading out for food we popped open the sparkling wine that we bought from Epcot's France Pavilion earlier in the day. We were celebrating being in our new SSR room after a big rigmarole which I wont go into.

It was nice. Drier than I was expecting and no prominent peach flavour despite the label. It had cost $14.86 with tax.

Right - for dinner we had chosen to channel our inner child and go to T-Rex!

Warning! This review is a little ranty so you can just skip the next few paragraphs in italics if you like.

We did have an ADR so we were seated really quickly, bypassing a large walk-in queue. Our table was just outside the ice cave right next to the Wooly Mammoth that I grew to intensely hate!

Don't get me wrong, he was a cute little fellow - it was just the crowds of rude people that he attracted. Our table was already situated right on the corner of a busy main walkway through the dining room and also what seemed like a popular gathering spot for servers, parents with grouchy toddlers and randomers who had just wandered in for a nosey. Add to that a stuffed animal that moves and you have carnage.

I literally cannot believe how rude some people were about taking pictures. We had both children and adults :l leaning on our table and chairs, imposing with cameras, dangling babies over our head to see the main attraction. It also seemed like nobody could physically walk past without touching the corner of our table as they went and it really started to annoy me. At one point Andy scooted over a seat to stop from getting poked by people getting way too close. I do understand that people want to see the decorations but there has to be some line drawn when you are imposing on the personal space of other diners.

Now I know we should have told people off for being rude but we really just wanted a nice first night dinner without any confrontation The absolute final straw for me came when a father decided to rest his toddlers feet/shoes on our table inches away from the cutlery after that we asked (well I demanded ) the server that we be moved. She wasn't too happy at first as it was busy and it also meant we would no longer be in her section but when we explained why she got the manager to come over to apologise and move us to a more subdued section. A manager was not really needed as it wasn't the restaurants fault but I appreciated that we were moved without fuss. It gets me riled up even thinking about it now - it would honestly have been more relaxing to have a table for two in the middle of Main Street during Wishes.

And breathe... Right OK, sorry. Now the meal can begin...

To drink Andy had a soda and a beer. I just had Berry Cherry Limeade.

This was a nice change to the regular fountain sodas. It was really refreshing.

To eat for me was the Boneyard Buffet ($27.99).

It was half a rotisserie chicken with 1/2 rack of ribs, waffle fries & coleslaw. The chicken was actually spit-roasted (you can see into the kitchen with them all twirling around ) which gave it a great smoky flavour whilst still being juicy. The ribs weren't my favourite as they had quite a bit of cartilage but the sauce was nice. Waffle fries & coleslaw - you can't go wrong really. It was a big portion too.

Andy opted for Neanderthal NY Strip. ($33.99)

With the steak he got mashed potatoes and a choice of one side. He doesn't like mash so chose waffle fries. The sauce on top was steak butter which if I recall may have been garlicky. He enjoyed this but wasn't blown away. It was rather expensive when you compare that you can get a fantastic fillet from Longhorns for about $20. Welcome to Disney though I guess!

Up to this point although my meal was nice, we were kind of wishing we hadn't bothered going. One thing changed that though - dessert! We pooled our allowance to order the Meteor Bites for two.

Yum. They were basically tiny donut holes in 2 kinds - the lighter colour was like a traditional fried donut texture with a crisp outside and fluffy inside (think fairground dinky donuts) and the darker version was a chocolatey cake style donut. Both were served warm rolled in icing sugar that coated them wonderfully. If that wasn't delicious enough there was warm chocolate & caramel dips served on the side.

It was by far the best dessert of the holiday, if not ever. Writing it all down, it sounds rich & indulgent and it was... and that's what made it amazing. There were so many in the little paper cone that we took about half away boxed up to eat later in bed - they didn't even make it to the Dessert Graveyard.

Now to sum up my War & Peace write-up - we would not return to T-Rex for a full meal. Even if we didn't experience the problems we did, I think it would have been a one time only thing for fun anyway. The issues were just the nail in the coffin. Taking the DDP out of the equation it would have been very overpriced too.

Credits used here - 2 TS
Credits left - 13 CS,16 TS & 18 SC

Edited at 02:24 PM.
Old 18 Nov 15, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
Your photo of the Tokyo Sunset looks much nicer than theirs. I love that meal from 'Morocco' mmmmm
Originally Posted by Craft-ique View Post
I was just thinking the same.

Great report so far.
Thanks guys - I might try to sell them rights to it.

Old 18 Nov 15, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

I love your reports I also love a food report with a rant in it as you may know

Can't wait for more updates, you always seem to pick the cocktails I would pick
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List