Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Closed Thread

Old 16 Aug 15, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneypls
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh which to choose. There is a big difference in price between the canon and Panasonic (£100) is the extra money worth it on the Panasonic. Thanks
Disneypls is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 15, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Macman
Very Serious Dibber

I think you really need to go and have a look at what's about, I read lots of reviews and wanted my wife to buy the Canon G15 (was new model at the time) but when she looked at it she didn't want it and liked the Ixus as it was smaller, the Panasonics get excellent reviews but like my wife there may be reason you wouldn't want it.

My wife wanted at least the following
  • point and press camera
  • large display at back to review pictures
  • as big a zoom as possible
  • easy controls that couldn't be moved by accident

To find a camera that fitted all these and be small enough to carry was a compromise, you should take a trip to currys and have a look, you might pick something completely different to all these recommendations.

Be reassured that modern cameras from big manufactures will all do a pretty good job.

Edited at 09:33 AM.
Macman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 15, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
sweaty
Getting Excited

Morning All

Is the Canon PowerShot SX410 20MP 40x Zoom Bridge Camera any good got theon offer at Argos for £129
Doubletree Hilton by SeaWorld 2019
sweaty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 15, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
cypress
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 43
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I've just bought a Sony dsc-hx60V for my next trip, rather than carry around my Canon DSLR. I used it for the first time yesterday to take pictures of my new born grandson and wow, every picture is very sharp...excellent quality. The pictures are every bit as good as the DSLR. I also took a couple of videos which again were perfect. I bought it for £189 from Currys.
Old 16 Aug 15, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
daviewat
Imagineer

Another thread on this subject as always so many different answers etc. What on earth did everyone do before digital exploded onto the scene ? Oh yes we just bought a nice little zoom compact 35mm one and went about our days happy. Now it seems all people want to know is all about "does it take firework shots, can i use it on rides , what about night shots etc etc etc ? well the news is yes they can as they are the same as those old days in that one thing only really matters and that is light ? Light means the amount actually getting through the lens and producing some sort of reaction on a media be it old film or new digital sensor.

So basics then, first there are NO such thing really as a professional camera, only more expensive ones that people use if they make a living from photography ! Secondly for 99% of the population up to 15 mega pixel is the perfect size of image needed, size really info crammed into the sensor, most manufacturers have known this all along and so just cram more features into what the camera can do ? not necessarily do well but do anyway. Video is one, although I do have to say the more up to date models actually do this pretty well and as such a great feature to have. Things like gps settings , wi fi , swivel screens , touch screens etc etc are all fair enough but do nothing for the actual photograph you take and thus only really add expense to the thing

So back to the question ! One of the best is by far Panasonic TZ range of compact cameras! why ? simply the lenses they use, nothing more nothing less. They are made by the worlds acknowledged best lens maker Leica , simple. There TZ (Travel Zoom) range are noted as one of the most consistent at producing above acceptable results than most, fact. They all have various settings, as do most makes now, for such things as nighttime , seascape , landscape , fireworks etc etc and all these are are electronic reminders and settings for the camera to adjust to the most optimised setting for average conditions asked for. i.e. it changes things like shutter speed , F number (that allows more or less light in) etc etc things that all make up the science of photography So for , again, 99.9% of us these are just perfect, only BIG point to remember with any sort of photograph that is taken in less than good daylight conditions is the steadiness of the camera as the shutter will be open for a touch longer and therefore shake, blurring, will occur. So trip pod , bean bag , flat surface etc etc is a must. So if fireworks are your most important images to have a good vantage point with somewhere to rest the camera on that is very steady, be it wall , trip pod etc etc is a must. Also a lot of cameras have a timer setting, so set function to fireworks , then set timer to say 5 seconds. So all you then do is make sure camera is pointing to where the Bang ! small be, press shutter button , let go of button and the timer will count down 5 seconds and then take picture. Of course you have to pretty sure that 5 seconds from pressing shutter the bang will be where you want it to be. Tri pod is slightly easier as you can have pointing where it should be and then just take as normal, as gently as you can.

There are so many more hints , tips etc etc that it would fill a book but overall these points may cover basics for some more commonly asked things.

Regal Palms March/April 2005/6/7/11/12
Now Miami whenever possible
daviewat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 15, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

I love my TZ60, highly recommended.
Does a nice job of video too.
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 15, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

the older TZ55 model is only £100 at argos right now...

argos/static/Produc...er/2329576.htm

megapixels dont matter. unless you plan on printing out larger than A4 in size, or cropping your photos because you didnt zoom in enough, a 6mp camera is more than fine. lens quality (and optical zoom) is more of a factor than the number of megapixels a camera sensor has. sensitivity in low light is another important factor.

firework photos will almost always come out disappointing unless you get some practice in with the camera beforehand... the biggest thing you can do to improve them is use a tripod of some sort and a remote release button/controller. handheld shots will almost always come out blurry. long exposure is key here, and the only way to get this is with a tripod or similar device to stop camera shake.

have a read of this photo forum, youll find a million and one threads that are useful for choosing a camera and improving your skills.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 15, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread