Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 10 May 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

The keys

Hi. So we go back in 2 years and hopefully landing in Miami. So the plan is to stay in Miami for a couple nights and then we want to go to the keys before we go to Orlando ( staying for 5 weeks ). Anyway I have no idea how to do it. So do I travel to key largo and stay for a night then head to marathon and do the same and then to key west? Or is there somewhere I can stay for a few nights and then go to these places for a day? 2 adults 3 kids ( want to do some snorkelling and dolphin swim too ). Basically I need telling what to do please haha x
Old 10 May 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey68
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We based ourselves in Islamorada at mile marker 81. It was a good base and easy enough to get to Key West for a day and also explore the upper keys. Have a great trip!
Old 10 May 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mickey68 View Post
We based ourselves in Islamorada at mile marker 81. It was a good base and easy enough to get to Key West for a day and also explore the upper keys. Have a great trip!
Great thanks. So drive from Miami to islamorada and stay there for a few nights and just drive to the other destinations for the day? Is this what you would do? Xx
Old 10 May 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey68
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Can't comment on the drive from Miami to Islamorada as we actually drove from Naples to Islamorada as we did a loop around Florida. We then had 4 nights in the Keys but it was a good base. We drove to Fort Lauderdale to fly home which was a longer drive than to Miami but was easily doable so you you should be fine doing Miami to Islamorada. We went to Key West and back in a day, had a day at Bahai Honda and Marathon (for the Turtle Hospital) and we had planned to go up to John Pennekampe state park but decided on a lazy day at the resort by the pool and kayaking. I found the trip reports on here really helpful when planning. We preferred to base ourselves half wayish down the keys rather than move more frequently as we had already moved around a lot during our trip. Happy planning!
Old 10 May 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mickey68 View Post
Can't comment on the drive from Miami to Islamorada as we actually drove from Naples to Islamorada as we did a loop around Florida. We then had 4 nights in the Keys but it was a good base. We drove to Fort Lauderdale to fly home which was a longer drive than to Miami but was easily doable so you you should be fine doing Miami to Islamorada. We went to Key West and back in a day, had a day at Bahai Honda and Marathon (for the Turtle Hospital) and we had planned to go up to John Pennekampe state park but decided on a lazy day at the resort by the pool and kayaking. I found the trip reports on here really helpful when planning. We preferred to base ourselves half wayish down the keys rather than move more frequently as we had already moved around a lot during our trip. Happy planning!
Great thank you. I think I will look to stay in that area then.thank you xxxx
Old 10 May 20, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Envy you your 5 weeks! We've been to the Keys 3 times and each time have stayed on the way down to Key West.

We like to stop off and see/do things a lot. Personally I wouldn't want to base myself in Islamorada for a day trip to Key West as it's too much time wasted for the journeys.

Last time we stayed at Key Largo and Marathon (see report below). Previously we've stayed at Key Largo both times before going down to Key West and stayed there.

We love John Pennekamp park and the Turtle Hospital at Marathon. Your children would like the Theatre of the Seas too. Lots of good stopping off places.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Envy you your 5 weeks! We've been to the Keys 3 times and each time have stayed on the way down to Key West.

We like to stop off and see/do things a lot. Personally I wouldn't want to base myself in Islamorada for a day trip to Key West as it's too much time wasted for the journeys.

Last time we stayed at Key Largo and Marathon (see report below). Previously we've stayed at Key Largo both times before going down to Key West and stayed there.

We love John Pennekamp park and the Turtle Hospital at Marathon. Your children would like the Theatre of the Seas too. Lots of good stopping off places.
So you'd recommend staying in 2 places? I know I'm so excited but never done a trip like this so I'm finding it all hard haha. Is parking hard and expensive like Miami? X
Old 10 May 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We stayed on Islamorada also as it seemed (and was) a great base to explore the keys from, the drive from MIA to Islamorada was around 2-3 hours (if memory serves, it was a good few years ago).

Enjoy, we loved it down there

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
brindle
Imagineer

Been to the keys 3 trips love it there. Stayed duck key and islander resort first time. Then did two private rentals marathon and islamorada, then last year we had condo at key colony lovely base and can drive up and down. Did key west for day trips. It depends how far you like to drive I think, we don't mind the drive its stunning. Also like to be a bit further in the keys than Largo.Nothing wrong with Largo we just prefer to be more in the centre.The drive from Miami is no bother out airport head south and once you hit the keys its scenic.
Terre Verde Resort April 2008+ April 2010
Florida Keys July 2009
brindle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Weve been to the keys twice, both times drove down from Orlando. First time stayed overnight on Key Largo, they drove to Key West, stayed overnight, back via Naples - stayed there for a night then back to Orlando. 2nd time we drove from Orlando straight down to Key West (intended to stay overnight on the way, but a mistake with what night I had booked gave us no time) - luckily DH is used to driving long distances for work. We intended to base at Key West and visit all the keys from there, but we never actually left Key West, so much to see and do. For children the Pirate museum is great, also really recommend the Discovery Center. We took a boat trip to snorkel on the barrier reef which was the highlight of my whole holiday. Sealife center was good. Mallory square at sunset is a must.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List