Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 14 Jun 20, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile Cooking proper pizza in a frying pan

A little tip for anyone without a pizza oven who wants authentic tasting pizza.

So through lockdown a local business who usually has a pizza van at festivals etc has diversified and started selling DIY home pizza kits. You get 10 balls of dough, tomato sauce and cubed mozzarella for £20. We got some last weekend and fully expected to cook the pizza in the oven but the instructions said to cook in a frying pan and then finish under a hot grill and they are amazing. They taste so good. The dough gets bubbles in the crust and the mozzarella is all melty and stringy. I'm very impressed and it has stopped my desire for an ooni! I just need to have a go at my own dough now if anyone would like to share their recipe.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 20, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

Mobile

That sounds so good 😋
For dough I use a very basic recipe. 500g strong white flour, 7g sachet of yeast, 1tsp sugar, 1/2tsp salt, approx 320ml warm (not hot) water. Combine and then let it prove. I find it isn't the amount of kneading that improves the dough but leaving it for a good few hours to let the yeast do it's work. Honestly the longer you leave it the better it is. I make it in the morning for baking in the evening.
Ivegottadream is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ivegottadream View Post
That sounds so good 😋
For dough I use a very basic recipe. 500g strong white flour, 7g sachet of yeast, 1tsp sugar, 1/2tsp salt, approx 320ml warm (not hot) water. Combine and then let it prove. I find it isn't the amount of kneading that improves the dough but leaving it for a good few hours to let the yeast do it's work. Honestly the longer you leave it the better it is. I make it in the morning for baking in the evening.
Thank you. That sounds nice and simple. I have a stand mixer with a dough hook so I'm hoping that makes it even easier! I still have some frozen dough left from the pizza company at the moment but it's not going to last long so I'll make some more and report back.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 20, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I make my own on my Kamado but wow they are charging.

60 balls of pizza dough (this is good, other types and sizes available, stores all over)- £14.99 (I split one with my friend so 30 for £7.50) jjfoodservice/produc...nfield/PIZ046/

Pizza sauce - get a can of this, heat with a little garlic and oil, some Oregano, salt and pepper And thicken to taste or just use it straight out of the can- superfood-market/product...RoCsXMQAvD_BwE

That’s all you need for the best pizza sauce.

One can will do 4 pizzas.

This is 50 pence a pizza plus a bit of mozeralla.

Interesting about the frying pan would never have thought.

Edited at 01:04 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 20, 04:12 AM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I make my own on my Kamado but wow they are charging.

60 balls of pizza dough (this is good, other types and sizes available, stores all over)- £14.99 (I split one with my friend so 30 for £7.50) jjfoodservice/produc...nfield/PIZ046/

Pizza sauce - get a can of this, heat with a little garlic and oil, some Oregano, salt and pepper And thicken to taste or just use it straight out of the can- superfood-market/product...RoCsXMQAvD_BwE

That’s all you need for the best pizza sauce.

One can will do 4 pizzas.

This is 50 pence a pizza plus a bit of mozeralla.

Interesting about the frying pan would never have thought.
I'm more than happy at £2 a pizza to support a small business, especially when it would be £8 - £10 from our local take away. They make all the dough themselves from a little lock up down the road from us too. We don't have a big freezer so buying in bulk just isn't feasible.
Old 15 Jun 20, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We tried Gordon Ramseys frying pan pizza recipe the other week, it turned out really nice so will always do it that way now
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List