Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 11 Aug 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa-72
Imagineer

Lisa-72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile Best tasting alternatives?

Following on from my appointment with a nutritional therapist she has suggested giving up dairy and gluten.

I’m happy to try this, aside from milk in tea, cheese and spread I’m not a big dairy eater although I suspect there are lots of products which contain a “dairy” ingredient so that might be more difficult. I’ve opted to try unsweetened almond milk. Not tried it yet.

Gluten free diet, I suspect I’ll find this harder to give up. Again products probably contain it.

She’s given me a comprehensive list of what I can eat/drink.

The question is what alternatives taste ok and aren’t unpleasant to eat/drink?

I’ve to incorporate 6-7 portions of veg, fruit and each meal to have a protein element. Several supplements with each meal 😧 and minimum of 2 litres of water!

I’m thinking of a veg/fruit smoothie for breakfast with almond milk.

Lunch has always been sandwich crisps and chocolate bar. If I do fancy a sandwich which GF tastes better?

Dinner/tea is much the same as I was eating before.

Sssshhhh it was a secret, March 2010 Econo Lodge 1st Visit
Lisa-72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

I have coeliac disease, so no gluten.

Basically you can’t have oats, rye, wheat or barley if you can’t have gluten, so be careful if you choose to go for an oat milk as there are only certain ones which are GF in the uk.

Bread is a tricky one, I tend to avoid bread unless it’s toasted, I don’t mind Warbs gluten free tiger loaf though, I think most coeliacs say that is the nicest one. I think with some gluten free products it is a case of trial and error, trying to find what suits your tastes and with some you might have to eat it a few times to get used to it. Also warbs gluten free wraps are quite nice too if you fancy a wrap.

A lot of things contain gluten, I have to check every label, unless it specially says gluten free as even the most random things contain it.

klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

ds prefers flora dairy free for spread out of all the dairy free ones we've tried- most of the flora spreads are dairy free but some can contain traces so not suitable for milk allergies

GF bread is a tough one I don't tend to bother much as its often pretty dry and crumbly so lousy for sandwiches -its ok for toasting but has a drier texture than regular bread

M&S do rolls which are actually pretty good so I tend to use those if I do want a sandwich or burger
Tesco GF round rolls & finger rolls are not bad either though can be hit & miss.
I prefer the old el pasp Gf wraps but they are heavier/more dense? than normal wraps

It does take some getting used to as Gluten containing ingredients are in a lot of things you wouldn't always think would contain it.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

My friend is lacto free - she says different milks suit different drinks, I think she said almond was nicest for coffee (I’m rather partial to a soy hot chocolate) but to try a few and see what works in your drinks
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

Have you been tested for Coeliac disease? If not do not give it up until you are tested. It needs to be in your system at least six weeks to give an accurate result. If you give it up and then get sent for a test you will have to go back to eating again.

When I was first diagnosed with coeliac, I also had to give up lactose for six months as they are closely linked and can have lactose again now.

Edited at 05:42 PM.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa-72
Imagineer

Lisa-72's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by shona View Post
Have you been tested for Coeliac disease? If not do not give it up until you are tested. It needs to be in your system at least six weeks to give an accurate result. If you give it up and then get sent for a test you will have to go back to eating again.

When I was first diagnosed with coeliac, I also had to give up lactose for six months as they are closely linked and can have lactose again now.

No I haven’t but this new eating plan is to help boost my Gut and give my liver a chance to recover.
Based on my assessment with her and my issues with my stomach she suggested trying DF and GF for a month.

Sssshhhh it was a secret, March 2010 Econo Lodge 1st Visit
Lisa-72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I don't drink milk as it makes me ill. I find coconut milk in coffee the nicest, especially in a flat white. I like M&S gluten free bread the best. I think it has the closest texture to normal bread.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
I don’t drink tea, just switched to peppermint, but I find unsweetened almond milk is the best for coffee.
My brother likes oat milk but I find it way too sweet
Old 11 Aug 20, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

When my dd had to try gluten free for a while, we found some gf rolls in the freezer department of major supermarkets, which were really nice. The brand is schar and yellow packaging.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

We really like almond milk, we buy rude health brand. Their oat milk is good too but I guess contains gluten!

GF products, couple of friends rate the M&S range as the best. I tend to get biccies , cakes etc there if they are coming round and they are very happy. I occasionally bake with GF flour and find for cakes just add xanthan gum and is virtually the same as regular floured cakes.

Hope you are feeling better soon x