Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Oct 02, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Exclamation Swim with Manatees

Hi Folks,

Just browsing and came across this site - might think about booking this.

Swim with Manatees etc

It's about 70 miles north of Tampa, so it's achievable - they also do local accomodation.

I'd rather do this than Dolphins!

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 02, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
sounds wonderful Shaun, but it worries me slightly. Don't the manatees then get to used to being around people? I read that they get killed so easily by the boats around the water where they swim close to people. Sounds so sad...
Old 7 Oct 02, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

I think that if you read the "blub" these people have been doing these trips for years and know what they are doing. They can't guarentee sitings as this is done in the wild, and you have to get up VERY early to see them - about 6:15 - 7:15!

There is a big list of "do's and don'ts", like don't swim underneath them.

As for the boats, I think that there is a "no motorised boat" policy on certain stretches of the river to avoid this happening.

The manatees are naturally curious animals and will come and have a look at what's going on.

There are others that do this, but this was the site I came across initially.

1989 ~ Off site
1999 ~ Off site
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
Old 7 Oct 02, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally posted by BONZO
and you have to get up VERY early to see them - about 6:15 - 7:15!
well thats us out then Shaun!
Old 7 Oct 02, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

I'm going to try this when I go. I've got it booked for the 25th Nov with fun2dive . I went with these as I sent emails to different sites and these gave me the best response and they were very helpful when I spoke to them. It's $80 and you're in the water from 9ish until 3ish.

Zoe
kirstenjet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 02, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Zoe,

Thanks for the link - off to have a peep!

Mandy,

We start at 6 am with the Manatee Awareness Program at our shop which is located in Sanford just 20 minutes north of down town Orlando

Sleepy heads! -

1989 ~ Off site
1999 ~ Off site
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
Old 18 Oct 02, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My DD is very excited by the thought of this, and I would really love to hear about anyone who has done it. Carolyn
CarolynU is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 02, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Kazzie
Imagineer

Thanks to you both for those sites.Mattie loves manatees,I would love to arrange one of these trips.

Zoe, I would love to hear what you're experience was like when you're back after your holiday please.
Kazzie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 03, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

If anyone still interested

I went with fun2dive . The bloke who runs it is Capt Joe Detrick. You couldn't ask for a nicer bloke to go with, definitely knows his stuff, his lists of qualifications and previous jobs (wildlife photography, working for Disney, Sea World etc) was very extensive. The manatees swims are run Oct-Feb. Only six people as taken a day and all wetsuit. snorkel and flippers are included in the price ($85).

You have to be at his shop in Sanford ay 6am (very easy to find with his directiosn) and it takes 45 mins for I Drive. There's coffee waiting for you and when everyone arrives he gives out the equipment, gives a talk on what's allowed and what isn't (no going into the sancturies, no chasing, no swimming underneath, no holding etc). You watch a video and then sign a disclaimer to say if you do any of the ablove and you get caught he isn't responsible and you have been told. The fines are $100,000 plus.

You then get in your car and follow him to Crystal River for about 9-9.30am, stopping for breakfast along the way. Then it's off to his little boat and to wherever he thinks the manatees are going to be. Once there everyone gets in (including Joe so make sure everyone's okay).

Admittedly I found it a bit scarey the first time one swam underneath me as where we were the visability was about 10 feet, water was about 16-20ft deep. There no real current so it''s not much different form swimming in a pool.

I had some problems anyway as I suffer from claustrophobia and I couldn't cope with the snorkel because of it (made me panic) I was going to give up and get back in the boat and just watxch,even at this pooint though just being on the boat and seeing them in the water would have been worth every single penny!.As I was holding on to the ladder on the boat in the water trying to calm down a manatee suddenly appeared next to me. It was beautiful! It stayed with me for about 20 minutes rolled on to it's belly so I could scratch his tummy for him. I decided to give it another go after that and must have seen another 6-8. THe rest of the group went off to look into the spring we were next to were there was some big fish.

At about 12ish Joe told us all to get back in the boat to have a rest and omething to drink (Drinks ,fizzies and waterand trailmix was provided free).

There was a piece of rope hanging off the boat as Joe says the manatees like to use it as a chewing toy. While we were having a break 2 manatees came over to play with it. Some us got back in the water with them and they stayed with us for the next four hours. In that time others did come over and at one point we were surrounded by about 8. They are so gentle at no point do you feel threatened, even if they hit you by accident with their tails it's just like being very gently pushed. A mother and baby of about 3 months came over at one point as well.

Here's some photos of the manatees we took on the day.

http://www.purple-panda.co.uk/ebay/holiday/

I really can't recommend this to you enough, it was the most beautiful and moving day I've ever had. I really can't describe how special it was! I think it was also partly because they are wild, if they coime see you it's completely their choice to stay or go.

You can also buy a video ($40), but you have to let Joe know before you leave that you want one so he takes the video camera with him and you can also rent underwater cameras for $25 with a roll of film. Both were really worthwhile.

We did see some other tours out and a was so glad I hadn't gone for a cheaper shorter one. They had more like 12-25 people with them and there was no way they could all be watched by the people there plus they didn't seem to have been told what they were meant to do (like keep quiet otherwise you scare them away) plus they left before they'd seen more than two. Joe really did know what he as talking about. Also if you've got kids it'd probably feel a lot safer in a smaller group.

If I have missed out anything you wanted to know please feel free to ask, I've bored everyone I know with it!

Cheers,
Zoe

Edited at 03:30 PM.
kirstenjet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 03, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

I'd say you have to be fairly comfortable in the water and be able to tread water for some time. I'm not sure of the ages for children, the other 4 people on the trip was a family but their youngest was 13, but I'm sure they'd take younger.

What I forgot to add was after that, he took us round to another spring called the Three Sisters, there was no manatees there but there was shoals of brightly coloured fish and and a wild turtle. I didn't make it to the springs itself as I needed the toilet, but my friend said they were huge round black holes in the ground. She got quite scared going over them as she was convinced she was going to fall in Joe doesn't wear a watch so it's pretty much left until everyones ready to go home. We also saw a wild pig on the river bank on the way back.

Zoe
Closed Thread