Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 12 Apr 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

If the orange light is on its the broadband internet that has dropped for some reason, blue light you are connected to the internet, green means router resetting. People nowadays tend to get confused mixing wifi and internet up, they are not the same. You can still have a wifi signal to your router but no internet and also your router could still be connected to the internet but lose your wifi signal.
Our BT internet has recently dropped the old times but we still are connected by wifi.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 20, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
John
Imagineer

John's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I'm with Virgin on their 500mbs fibre. Surprisingly the service has been fine and consistently getting over 500mbs...so far
John is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 20, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We are sometimes getting the orange light but even when it’s connected I am getting very slow speeds. Around 4 when we normally get 50+

Just trying to change it to a new channel to see if that helps but I do think it’s a line problem. I was just trying to avoid calling BT if it was just the network was generally overloaded but today’s it’s pretty unusable. (Actually resorted to using data at the moment)

Edited at 02:28 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 20, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Changing the channel has helped. Will have to see if we make it through a zoom class tomorrow As that has been the biggest issue recently but fingers crossed.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Changing the channel has helped. Will have to see if we make it through a zoom class tomorrow As that has been the biggest issue recently but fingers crossed.
Changing the channel won't help if you keep getting an orange light, it will help if the wifi drops off though. It does sound like you have a line issue or a problem at the exchange.
Have you followed the BT fault finding guides to help pinpoint the problem?

bt/help/home/faults/

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Gward
Getting Excited

Mobile

The solution is in the above post or in my original post👍

You are paying so don’t worry about ringing them
Gward is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 20, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

We are having issues with Sky. DH is WFH and has to issue a warning before Microsoft Teams meetings. 4 of us home at the moment too. We all have to come off WiFi for the duration.
Old 12 Apr 20, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

For when the internet light stays on but the WiFi drops

For Sky hubs (other providers will have a similar process but the log in will be different.)

Open your internet browser Safari, Chrome, explorer etc
In the address bar at the top where you’d normally put the web address type in. ... 192.168.0.1 press enter (Not search)
Hub status page will come up with a side bar on the right with “useful settings” choose “Change wireless channel”
User name. admin
Password sky (Except the newest hub 4 -password for that one is your wireless password. Both are case sensitive.
This will take you to the wireless settings page , look for desired channel it’ll probably say auto. Change to channel 11 press apply
If no different try channel 5 .and apply .
In most cases this will give you stronger WiFi .

Edited at 11:45 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Doesn’t sound a WiFi issue if light is going orange. Problem at BTs end.

For WiFi issues, best thing you can do is buy a Mesh network, preferably if you can spend that much money the top of the line Netgear Orbi (I used to have a cheaper Tenda Nova MW6 which was decent but the Orbi is much better). I’ve got 4 running in the house, so it was a big investment but I’ve gone from struggling to get a signal on the decking at the back of my garden to getting 400 meg at the back of the garden (we have 500 internet).
Old 13 Apr 20, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I think you mean OpenReach ... not BT.

I disagree the first step is to throw money at the issue ... it’s the last resort not the first.

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Doesn’t sound a WiFi issue if light is going orange. Problem at BTs end.

For WiFi issues, best thing you can do is buy a Mesh network, preferably if you can spend that much money the top of the line Netgear Orbi (I used to have a cheaper Tenda Nova MW6 which was decent but the Orbi is much better). I’ve got 4 running in the house, so it was a big investment but I’ve gone from struggling to get a signal on the decking at the back of my garden to getting 400 meg at the back of the garden (we have 500 internet).
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List