Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 25 Aug 20, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Has anyone had any luck getting a refund on a non refundable hotel?

We were supposed to go on a road trip around California back in May, booked last year, so long before COVID. We obviously couldn't go, so I had to move a lot of our hotels to new dates. We picked October (next month) thinking that this would be over by then, and it's obviously not. Two of the hotels were booked at a non refundable rate as we never ever thought we'd have reason to not go. Both hotels wouldn't let us cancel, but did let us move the dates, and pay the extra.

We now still are unable to travel to the US so have had to cancel again. One hotel refuses to refund us, and have said they already gave us a good will gesture of letting us move the dates, and the most they can do is offer us credit for a room, but it will only be valid until May 2021 (when we're likely still not going to be able to go). The other are really hard to contact with, and just keep pushing us back to booking.com to discuss with them, but basically saying they won't give us a refund.
The annoying thing with that hotel is that we had only partially paid, so I assume that means we now owe them money.

I am very well aware that it is our fault for choosing a non refundable rate, but wanted to ask if there is absolutely anything I can do in trying to get our money back? We had travel insurance through Halifax bank, who don't cover COVID, and also when we rescheduled - technically we were aware of the risk.

Thankfully it's only for 3 nights total, so the balance is not as high as it could be, and if we don't get it back then so be it, it's our fault, but it would be nice!
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I am in the same position with hotels booked for October in Toronto. I booked two non refundable rate rooms for Toronto and Niagara through Hotels.com before covid started. Of course we benefited from a cheaper rate for the rooms and so that's why they were non refundable and like you I'm well aware it's my own fault. It does seem likely we will lose the money as I don't believe Canada will change their border control and allow tourists in by the date we are due to travel.

So, at the moment I'm afraid I don't have anything productive to add other than I hope you get it sorted, but we are also in the same boat. Good luck with resolving it and I hope you get to go on a trip soon. Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Not in the United States.
I had a one night stay booked through Expedia for an airport hotel in Miami and the hotel won’t refund.

In the U.K, I had a hotel stay booked in Blackpool for a football tournament at the beginning of May. Booking.com helped me get a refund from them.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I had 2 rooms booked in Iceland for May with a non-refundable rate.
The hotel gave us a voucher for the amount which we can use til next May, so we've rebooked for next May and keeping our fingers crossed
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sparkles18
Imagineer

We had 2 non-refundable hotels booked in Khao Lak and Phuket through ebookers, we have been issued a voucher for them both. The vouchers have to be used within 12 months to book with but we have a further 12 months on top to travel in.

I checked with our insurance but they said they wouldn't pay out as we had been offered vouchers.
sparkles18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

We had a non refundable hotel booked in May via booking.com that we hadn’t pre paid. I tried to contact hotel but like you had no luck. Someone on here replied to a question I put on saying chances were we wouldn’t be charged, I can’t remember who it was. So I thought there was nothing to lose, and they were correct, we weren’t charged. They did have a policy on their own website saying they would refund all non refundable bookings right enough, but only if booked direct.
I have another one booked for December that we have pre paid so if we go ahead and cancel I’m not too sure we will get that back.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 06:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I had two booked through Hotels.com. I called them and explained we couldn’t travel and they refunded/cancelled the booking with no fees at all.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

All mine were non refundable- eventually every one payed up. Best was the Garland hotel in LA who went above and beyond and did it immediately. Hilton took a long time and I had to get their customer care team involved.
Old 27 Aug 20, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
I had two booked through Hotels.com. I called them and explained we couldn’t travel and they refunded/cancelled the booking with no fees at all.
I found Hotels.com to be very good the other week on a new booking I had to contact them about. I’ll be using them again.
Old 27 Aug 20, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

I was very fortunate in the end with my August trip, and had all five of my non refundable rooms refunded, through Expedia, Hotels.com, ebookers and Loveholidays.

The first three companies were awesome, Loveholidays were a nightmare to get hold of, and when I finally got through, I had a rude girl who wouldn’t even entertain the idea of contacting the hotel to enquire about a refund (despite the hotel saying they would honour refunds)- after having waited three hours to get through, she told me to claim on insurance and then she cut me off! Then out of the blue I had an email from them a couple of weeks later, saying I could have a credit note or refund, and I had the refund through this week!

I would say though that my hotels were all in ‘hotspots’ - Texas, Seattle and Hawaii (the first two at the time were in major crisis, and Hawaii has quarantine rules to enter, so not even Americans were travelling to those areas when I cancelled, so whether that makes a difference to which US hotels are agreeing to refunds?)

Edited at 07:39 AM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List