Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Closed Thread

Old 17 Feb 15, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Why are GoPros so popular, do I need one?

Hello,
Years ago I used to consider myself quite techy and love gadgets. Whilst I still love gadgets I don't consider myself very techy anymore But I keep seeing loads about GoPros and I feel I want one but I don't really know what makes them so good?

Are they simple to use? Can you take stills with them too? Are they easy to transfer to disc afterwards?
We have a Sony handycam but I do find it bulky so am on the lookout for something smaller.

Thanks!
alkel2730 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 15, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DJBenz
Apprentice Imagineer

DJBenz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I think the advantages are twofold: one is that they're extremely compact and easy to keep about your person. You can also get head straps/body straps etc. to literally wear them for a first-person perspective.

Second, when in the waterproof housing they're suitable for taking in pools, waterslides etc. so you can capture footage that you wouldn't normally get with regular cameras.
DJBenz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 15, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DJBenz View Post
I think the advantages are twofold: one is that they're extremely compact and easy to keep about your person. You can also get head straps/body straps etc. to literally wear them for a first-person perspective.

Second, when in the waterproof housing they're suitable for taking in pools, waterslides etc. so you can capture footage that you wouldn't normally get with regular cameras.
Ah that does sound good for me! Does the waterproof case come with them? Can you see what you are filming with them being so small as I wouldn't want to just film peoples bodies and cut their heads off lol!
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 15, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

if you want to see if its for you without spending a packet, get an SJ4000

(just make sure you get a genuine one)

they are about £50-60 and do the job nicely - it doesnt have the fancy features the more expensive gopros have (like wifi/phone control/etc) but are a good way to dip your toe in the water of action cams - you get a stack of mounts (including the waterproof housing) and the accessories are gopro compatible as they are the same size

*edit* i got mine off this amazon seller just before xmas for £48, but its gone up a bit since then, and its definitely a genuine one:
amazon/gp/product/B...O6JRC6NFRHDJNF
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 15, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wanye View Post

they are about £50-60 and do the job nicely - it doesnt have the fancy features the more expensive gopros have (like wifi/phone control/etc) but are a good way to dip your toe in the water of action cams - you get a stack of mounts (including the waterproof housing) and the accessories are gopro compatible as they are the same size

*edit* i got mine off this amazon seller just before xmas for £48, but its gone up a bit since then, and its definitely a genuine one:
amazon/gp/product/B...O6JRC6NFRHDJNF
That's more my price range tbh! Is it that these type of cameras are particularly good with motion?
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
Old 17 Feb 15, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball18
Very Serious Dibber

Yep, very simple to use. I use mine for scuba diving and cycling and will be using my new one (when I get it) on the rides at WDW this year.

I will be selling my Go Pro Hero 3 HD in black when I get my new one!
Snowball18 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 15, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
DJBenz
Apprentice Imagineer

DJBenz's Reviews
This is what I'm planning on for later in the year. I won't use an action cam at any other time so for a minimal investment and similar performance these are ideal.

You can also get them from Banggood. They'll ship from China, but the price comes in at around £50 with the waterproof enclosure and a ton of mounts/accessories. These are the original ones too.

banggood/SJcam-SJ4000...-p-942459.html
DJBenz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 15, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DJBenz
Apprentice Imagineer

DJBenz's Reviews
Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
Ah that does sound good for me! Does the waterproof case come with them? Can you see what you are filming with them being so small as I wouldn't want to just film peoples bodies and cut their heads off lol!
They've got quite a wide angle lense so cutting off is minimised. It can make the horizon look slightly curved though, which some people don't like. Search on YouTube for "SJ4000 video" to see what sort of footage they capture.

That's more my price range tbh! Is it that these type of cameras are particularly good with motion?
They're action cams so designed for just that.
Old 17 Feb 15, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

if the sj4000 is out of your price range, then a gopro is definitely out!

there are cheaper versions, but the sj4000 is by far the best "knock off gopro" you will get

and yes, they are fine with motion, search youtube for "sj4000 action"

wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 15, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post

They've bought a new version of the SJ4000 out now with WIFI built in... Brings it more inline with the GoPro features but still at a fraction of the cost.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread