Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Closed Thread

Old 26 Jul 15, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Question Memory question

Hey guys just wanted some advice on our trip. Me, my partner and two kids going to WDW for two weeks and a week on DCL and I only have a 32GB SD card for my Nikon DSLR camera (will be taking our camera phones as well) will 32GB be enough? or will I need a bigger sized card? I already know I will need at least two battery's lol.

Thanks.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 15, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Dis47
A Guest at All-Stars

Depends how big your image files are, or if you're recording videos with the camera as well, but my DSLR images come out at around 7MB, that comes out at around 4,500 photos on 32GB. The question then is, will you be taking more than 4,500 photos?
Dis47 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 15, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for reply. Nope I dought I will take that many normally around a thousand pictures on our last two visits. It's just I wanted to take more video this time round.
Old 27 Jul 15, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
daviewat
Imagineer

Honestly buy more cards, they are not expensive these days, me personally i would take at least 6 32gb cards mayday more, if you have a laptop over with you download your days images to that and burn a dvd of them straight away, safety, then you could take less cards for sure.Always remember cards can go faulty a any time rendering t hem useless and you can loose all images on it for ever ! so more cards, smaller number of images/video on each is generally the way to go really.

Regal Palms March/April 2005/6/7/11/12
Now Miami whenever possible
daviewat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 15, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Great idea with the cards think I will get a extra 32/64GB card take a laptop and back up the photos and videos each day.

Thanks for advice.

Edited at 09:23 PM.
Old 28 Jul 15, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

are you shooting RAW or jpg? will you be doing lots of video?

if its jpg, youll be fine, although i wouldnt risk having just one card, and for the price of a 16gb or 32gb (less than £20) its just not worth risking it. it could get corrupted, lost, accidentally formatted, stolen, damaged and so on... i have at least 4 cards i take for my main camera, and i swap them over every couple of days (as well as backing them up to my netbook)

that way if something goes wrong, ive only got a couple of days worth of pics lost...

if youre not shooting video and/or RAW, then even a bunch of 8gb cards (about a fiver each) should do. just make sure you get a decent brand (sandisk, etc) from a reputable seller, not ebay or amazon marketplace sellers. too many fakes knocking around. use mymemory or 7dayshop or amazon direct.

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 15, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Yeah will be jpg. Really wanted to do more video this time round was think of using my larger sized card for video and buying a couple of 16GB cards for photos and backing them up each day.
Old 29 Jul 15, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
daviewat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Birchoid View Post
Yeah will be jpg. Really wanted to do more video this time round was think of using my larger sized card for video and buying a couple of 16GB cards for photos and backing them up each day.

Always remember to format the card then every time you have backed up images to laptop and burned a DVD of them, thats a must as well, you format the card by the menu on camera setting.

Regal Palms March/April 2005/6/7/11/12
Now Miami whenever possible
daviewat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 15, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Andy M
Imagineer

Andy M's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
For the price of cards these days I'd buy a couple more. I have 5/6 x 16gb cards as prefer to not have all my photos on one card in case the card gets corrupted

Andy

1999 ~ DLP Hotel Santa Fe (2n) / 2000 ~ DLP Day Trip
2004 ~ WDW All Star Movies (14n)
2005 ~ WDW All Star Movies (14n)
2009 ~ WDW Port Orleans Riverside - Disneymoon (21n)
2011 ~ WDW Port Orleans Riverside (14n)
2013 ~ WDW Port Orleans Riverside (21n)
2014 ~ WDW All Star Sports (14n)
2015 ~ WDW Port Orleans Riverside (14n)
2017 ~ WDW Yacht & Beach Club (14n)
Andy M is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 15, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread