Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11 Aug 15, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
chazb
Excited about Disney

Go pro questions

Hi we are going to get a go pro for our trip next year, I have a few silly questions.
We are planning on filming bits and pieces everyday in the parks.

Do I need to buy a seperate memory card? Do I need more than 1?

Also we are taking our ipad with us can i download the footage from each day onto their? Do I need a certain app to do this or a certain lead?

If I can download stuff onto the ipad I can then delete it off the memory card im guessing

Sorry im rubbish with things like this

Please help

TIA
chazb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Yes you will need a micro SD Card. You won't be able to download the pictures onto your iPad, you will need to either bring a laptop with you or use a wireless Hard Drive with built in SD Card transfer (I have the WD My Passport Wireless) this will transfer all your files and you will be able to look at them on your device.

We've just got a SJCAM4000 (Go Pro Equivalent) and with a 128GB memory card it gives 20 hours of recording time at 30FPS. Hope this helps.

Edited at 01:06 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
daviewat
Imagineer

Its just like any digital camera out t here in that you need removable storage ie a micro SD card, get an adapter as well , thats a thing that looks like a full size SD card but has a slot to put the micro one in to plug into any SD card reader. No downloading to an ipad is not t he best idea at all :-( Regarding quantity of cards I always say get a lot of smaller ones rather one large capacity one, ie say 4x8gb and 4x16gb cards should be fine, why ? well if one goes belly up at least you do not loose all videos etc.

On the subjesc i see someone has already mentioned the SJCAM SJ4000 get one of these, its the same as Go Pro in almost every way, a fraction of cost so you can get multiple cards. Lastly read up a lot on how to edit videos and how to use the camera.

Regal Palms March/April 2005/6/7/11/12
Now Miami whenever possible
daviewat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

just remember... if you buy one huge memory card and something goes wrong, you could potentially lose stuff from your whole holiday if you arent backing up elsewhere each night.

the price of 32gb/64gb cards these days, you may as well get multiples, then swap them over every few days. that way if something goes wrong youve only lost a chunk of the footage.

also, backing up to ipad is doable (but not ideal)... if you have a 32gb+ device with lots of free storage. google the camera connection kit. copy from the sd card to your ipad, and upload it to "the cloud" (dropbox/wherever) for additional resiliency.

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
chazb
Excited about Disney

Thank you! We are getting it as our christmas present from the in laws. I have told her about the camera you mentioned which is what I would buy if I was paying for it but I will see on xmas day. So when I get home from holiday how to I transfer all my videos is it too a laptop?
Thanks
chazb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

you can either plug the camera in via USB and it will appear as a removeable drive, or you can take the memory card out, stick it in your reader and pull the video off that way. same as you do with any normal digital camera.

then just drop the videos into your editing program of choice (i use FCPX on my mac)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread