Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Dec 13, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
superchris84
Having Dinner with Goofy

Newbie with lots of questions!

Hi
We've just returned home from our first fantastic trip to WDW. After a bit of thought, returning next year won't really be possible, so we've decided to look into DLP.
The prices for September are looking quite good - but we've hit a stumbling block...we don't know half as much about Paris as we do about Orlando!
So...here come the questions!
What are crowd levels like mid to late September?
how does the 'magic' compare to WDW?
can you still make ADRs 180 days out?
What are peoples experiences staying at the Sequoia Lodge?
Will we be better off booking direct through Disney, going to an agent or doing it all DIY?
How long to go for, is there enough to keep 2 adults (big kids) busy for 4 days?

Hope you lovely people can help us out
Old 19 Dec 13, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Mid to late September is usually a good time to go crowd wise, but definitely avoid weekends as they are SIGNIFICANTLY busier!

As far as we are concerned, the magic is definitely there, but you need to bear in mind it is NOT America, so the staff customer service is more reserved, but we have always had excellent interactions with the staff there

No ADRs at 180 days - you can reserve restaurants at 2 month out, but we tend to leave it until the week before we go and never have any issues.

Sequoia lodge is a Dibb favourite - and ours, roaring log fire in the bar at the end of a busy day can't be beaten!

We have always found the cheapest way to book is to book accomodation direct through Disney and book your transport sepeperately. there are often offers on at DLP for 40% off so it's worth waiting and booking under an offer

We find lots to do in 4 days - the main park takes at least 2 to do it justice, the studios is now probably a full day to do everything - a final mop up day and you're all good!

Finally. you will see lots of negativity on here regarding DLP - lots of it from people who have never even bothered to visit themsleves but love to pass on horror stories from "friends" who have visited and had a bad time - I would check out some of the trippies here on the forums and make up your own mind! We have been 14 times to DLP and 6 to WDW - we love both of them in very different ways but still return to DLP as often as we can

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 13, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post

I can only endorse what Mel says above. We love DLP and always have an enjoyable time. Yes the atmosphere is different because it's not American - it's European but that doesn't mean you can't have fun and you have some unique rides that you won't find in the American parks.
And don't forget that Paris itself is only a 40 minute journey away by train and that Val D'Europe shopping centre is only one stop away on the same railway!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 13, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post

I had an interesting (and relevant! - I promise) experience at DLP two years ago...we were waiting in a Q and an Englishwoman overheard me talking (I have lived in England for many, MANY years but still have my lovely American accent ) and she said to me, "Why are you HERE? Why would you come HERE when you have GOOD parks at home?"

I explained that I lived in London, blah, blah, blah...she didn't want to know. She could only compare DLP to WDW and clearly found DLP lacking. So sad! But it seems to be the core thing for so many people who visit Paris apres Florida.

What I think: If you like travelling on the continent and you like Disney, you'll love DLP. If you speak a bit of French, you'll like it even more! There are attractions in France that you can see no place else and I take the opportunity to do those a good few times.

To reply to your questions specifically:

September: Been once in September. Not crowded during the week but not everything was open. Two of the Fantasyland rides were only open on the weekends and there was no evening parade. Boo!

Magic: Hmm. Stay on property. Meet the characters at your hotel. You'll have to put a bit more in to get a bit less out. HOWEVER, my DH prefers the vibe at DLP as he is EXTREMELY English and finds the "Have a magical day!" business in Florida cloying in the extreme.

Sequoia: We stayed here in September. Nice hotel - about the same "class" as a WDW moderate, IMO. A bit dark if that sort of thing bothers you. If you've ever stayed at Wilderness Lodge, imagine that except much less "finished" and full of foreigners!

Booking: We book direct w/DLP. Last time we went for 4 nights - total cost for Sequoia (included a massive breakfast AND park tickets) for our family of three was £500. I thought that was pretty good value. What would you pay in FL for four nights in a moderate and 4-day park hoppers for 3 people?

For a couple that loves Disney, I'd say four nights is ideal. With a little one, I'd have liked one more night. If you have your car, take the opportunity to travel to a nearby town or village and have a yummy FRENCH dinner. I am not a big fan of the food at DLP, on the whole...or the swimming pool rules and regulations (disobliging!).

Hope this helps!

April
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 13, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Re the food, I would say the 'fine dining' is excellent. The French don't really see the point of fast food! But we have had wonderful meals at Cali Grill, Manhattan, Walt's, Blue Lagoon ... the list goes on. We tend to fill up at breakfast (cold buffet - cheese, ham, bread, pastries) and then not bother until evening.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 13, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Getyogrooveon
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 20
Echo what the others have said above...

DLP and WDW are very different, but each is special in it's own way.

I think DLP has a far more "special" atmosphere about it (in Disneyland Park), it seems more "authentic" and less "plastic" than WDW. I like to think it is more like Walt would have wanted. The park and castle is beautiful, especially in the sunshine. The Studios are much improved, although in no way comparable to Hollywood Studios in WDW. Both parks are now severely lacking in live shows/ parades, although Dreams is stunning.

Sequoia Lodge is lovely, however we prefer the amazing theming of the Cheyenne even though the rooms are more basic (and they provide bunk beds for the kids rather than sharing a double), but you must stay on site for the "experience" IMHO

I have always found that booking the hotel/ tickets with Disney direct and then booking transport separately is massively cheaper than any other option, and do wait for a special offer before booking, don't pay the standard rate.

Food is terrible in DLP unless you are prepared to pay crazy prices. We tend now to come out of the park for lunch at either McDonalds or Earl of Sandwich, because paying £10 in the parks for a substandard burger (and queuing for a hour to get it) is not my idea of "magic". Unless you can afford £40+ per head for an evening meal in some of the better restaurants, the best option is probably the buffet restaurants (Hunters Grill in Sequoia Lodge is good, we also like Billy Bobs in the Village).

Overall I would say don't go to DLP if your expecting it to be WDW (and vice versa). WDW is big, bold and brash, DLP is beautiful, intimate and special...
05.92 Newport Bay - DLP / 09.01 Santa Fe - DLP /11.03 Cheyenne - DLP / 11.05 Sequoia Lodge - DLP / 11.06 Cheyenne - DLP / 11.07 Cheyenne - DLP / 12.08 Cheyenne DLP / 08.10 SSR - WDW / 11.10 Cheyenne - DLP / 08.12 OKW -WDW / 12.13 Cheyenne - DLP / 08.15 SSR - WDW / 07.16 Cheyenne - DLP / 08.17 OKW - WDW / 08.19 CSR - WDW & RPR - Universal / 10.23 DL Sheraton Park / 08.24 POR - WDW
Getyogrooveon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 13, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Other good lunch options: share a pizza/salad meal deal in Colonel Hathi's - one meal will feed two adults!

Croque monsieur in Backlot Cafe (Studios) or Market House Deli (Main Street).

Chicken fajitas and churros in Fuente del 'Oro.

I avoid Restaurant en Coulisse, Hyperion Cafe and Casey's Corner as all are packed, service is slow and burgers/hot dogs etc are not what I go to France for! But there are other options.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 13, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
superchris84
Having Dinner with Goofy

Wow! thank for the replies everyone!
We were expecting to hear that the service and staff would be a bit more reserved - each country to their own, we have no problem with that!
It's looking quite likely that we will book up for Sept 2014 - we'll go with an open mind.
As mentioned above comparing DLP to WDW wont be the best idea...we both love Disney so i'm sure we'll love DLP in it's own way!
As far as food goes, we've been looking a bit more into the dining plan - does anyone have any experience of it?
Thanks again for your replies!

Jen
Old 22 Dec 13, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread