Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Jun 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I'm not switching it off, too much work on the water chemistry. Are the manufacturers normally that far off on their estimates then? Seems really dishonest to be putting under $10 US in print if the actual cost can be 8/9 times that?
Yes we have a hot tub and so do 7 of our friends and family no on pays the £1 a day quoted, we all pay so much more.
We had our off for a few months and our bikes dropped significantly. Just turn it off for one day then, take the meter readings for both days and you can work out the costs.

You should only lose 10 degrees over 24 hours maybe less depends on insulation.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

Ours has skyrocketed recently and I can't really think why this is. I am at home all day as I work from home so nothing has really changed in that respect. But it has more than doubled. We were paying around £70 a month and now it's over £140 a month. I need to ring them and sort it out - thanks for the reminder. We are with Ovo.
Old 3 Jun 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
We are heavy on electricity 5 bed house, 4 adults living here most of the time! Dh charges his part electric car too! We are on £85 a month for electricity and that doesn't include water or heating? (No hot tub!) .

If you change supplier to the big 6 they usually insist you get a smart meter installed too? This will get rid of your current meter, so will at least check your usage against your current one?

Edited at 02:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
catlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

The hot tub could be anything up to £100 a month to run. What manufacturer and model is it?
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Ours has skyrocketed recently and I can't really think why this is. I am at home all day as I work from home so nothing has really changed in that respect. But it has more than doubled. We were paying around £70 a month and now it's over £140 a month. I need to ring them and sort it out - thanks for the reminder. We are with Ovo.
Have you just come out of a deal and gone onto their standard rate? That could do that.

For the OP, this could also be the case for you, have you come off of one tariff and gone onto another which is more expensive?
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

We pay £138 (joint for gas & electricity) - not sure how the figure is split but think it’s roughly 50:50. We are with Engie.
We’re a family of 6, so lots of washing/tumble drying, gadgets, tv’s, hair straighteners etc as well as the usual lights etc.

Edited at 03:12 PM.
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Have you just come out of a deal and gone onto their standard rate? That could do that.

For the OP, this could also be the case for you, have you come off of one tariff and gone onto another which is more expensive?
This is what I was going to say
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Although curiosity got the better of me and I looked on some forums and hot tubs seem to consistently be costing people £50-100 a month to run if left on and kept at 37 degrees. Even with the lids on and insulation.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Our combined elec and gas is £56 a month and we are overpaying on this.
Electric heating is very dear though
Old 3 Jun 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post

No, we joined with them when we moved in here, that doesn't help as we didn't have a baseline with it being a new house to us.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List