Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 25 Oct 08, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Talking Tubing on the White River

As well as our trip to Dunn's River falls on our recent trip to Jamaica we also went Tubing down the White River. Basically we were in little rubber rings that had a plastic bottom to them.

We were taken by taxi upto the point where you enter the water, here we were given our tubes and offered life jackets for non-swimmers. There were two guides who would be in the water with us, just incase we needed assistance or got stuck at the side of the river...as we experienced!

We climbed down into the water and it was full of mosquitos. Up until now we hadn't been bitten but we had been wearing the "Don't bite me patches" which my mum had got before we arrived. We had these on again today but was warned that they might not work as good in areas with lots of mosquitos... so we got lots of bites!

The water felt very cold at first as it was covered by trees so no sun could get through, but once we were in our tubes we thought we'd stay dry.

We set off down the river, me having my mum's waterproof camera to take the photos. Only it wasn't so easy. For the 5-10 minutes the river was flowing quite fast so i had to grab a photo when i could, hence the reason some of them are blared.

All the time we were going down the river we were all racing each other, at one point you'd be in front with no one around you and then the next thing you would slow down and everyone would catch you up and then pass you.

I had jelly shoes with me on the holiday so i'd decided to wear them today so that i could keep them on it water. If you hit the side of the river it was obviously hard and there was lots of branches sticking out, so i presumed having my shoes on would be helpful to push myself away from the side! It was very helpful until i hit a fast current and lost one of my shoes! I had to go the rest of the way down with just one shoe on!

Half way down the part of the river we were on we were all pulled into a current, that sent us round in circles. When we looked to one side we saw a little stall and the guide told us we were taking a quick break. He helped us to the side where we had to struggle against the current to climb out and with me having just one shoe on it wasn't very easy at all!

Once on the sand the stall was offering drinks and little sourvenirs which would be taken to the end of the river for you if you wished to buy them. Andy bought his brother a necklace and we all stood and had a drink.

At the side of the stall was a wooden platform that you could jump off into the river, they were still hammering a sign on it stating that you jump at your own risk so it couldn't have been up long. My dad, sister and Andy all thought it would be a good idea to jump off it into the water. I was scared to think what you would hit on the bottom and was told by those three that it was actually quite rocky when you hit the bottom but the current took you so fast as you hit the water that you couldn't feel it! Only my dad did when we got back to the Hotel!

Once we had finished our drinks we got back into the river and from there until the end it was calm and very nice to just float around looking at the scenery around us. At the end our taxi was waiting for us, we signed a guestbook with our comments on the trip and then dried off before going back to the hotel.

That night after my dad had had a shower he showed us his toe, which he said, was hurting after banging it, jumping into the water. My dad's not one to complain and he said it wasn't too bad but when we looked, his big toe was black with bruising! We thought he had broken it. We told him to go and see the nurse but he was adamant that he would be fine so he put his sandals on (as he struggled to get his trainers on) and luckily over the next few days the bruising went down!

So if you go to Jamaica, Dunn's River Falls is a must but also consider the River Tubing as it is so much fun. Just be warned about losing your shoes and jumping off any platforms into the river!

*Walking down to the river*

*Looking down on where we went into the river*

*Andy in his tube*

*A lovely house at the side of the river*
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 08, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post

*Where we stopped for a break*

*The wooden platform which my dad, sister and Andy jumped off! *

*One of our guides*

*Andy jumping off the platform*

*Then trying to get back out of the water*

*Me floating at the side of the river*

*Heading towards the end*
Old 25 Oct 08, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Another lovely day with fantastic photos.
Old 1 May 09, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi Nic.
What is the minimum age for this trip?
Old 2 May 09, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Alex uk View Post
Hi Nic.
What is the minimum age for this trip?
To be honest i can't remember but my youngest nephew was 10 at the time and had no trouble with it.

He is a good swimmer and only wore a life jacket for piece of mind as the river wasn't deep but you do go down in a tube of your own and its fast in places so we often got separated.

If you can do the trip though you will have a great time, its a good laugh but also chilling when you're floating through the slow waters
Old 2 May 09, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List