General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 26 Jan 13, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
alanda
Very Serious Dibber

Four Points on a Fat Boy - August 2012 - Day 7

Four Points on a Fat Boy – Wednesday 1st – Saturday 11th August 2012

Cast members:

Me – Alanda – riding bikes for nearly 20 years now, but enjoying being pillion on this trip. Current bike is Harley Davidson 883 Sportster.
DH – Wiggy – riding bikes since just after he could walk I think - say over 35 years! Current bike Harley Davidson Fat Boy.

Day 7. Glenfarg – Tomatin 182 miles

Never trust the BBC weather forecast. They are, by and large, wrong. Today was supposed to be much better and we set off believing it with no wets on.

It was glorious for a while, and we enjoyed the first few miles of road through the Cairngorms, but when the rain started it was horrible and made controlling the bike really difficult, so I am afraid Wiggy didn’t get as much out of this ride as me, sat on the back enjoying the scenery in the rain.

I think this will be marked down as somewhere to come back to when it’s not raining – maybe do Thunder in the Glens at the same time?

The route we took was towards Braemar, then Tomintoul and the Old Military Road before coming out the other side via Carrbridge (at which point it had stopped raining) and turning onto the A9 towards Inverness. We went past our destination for the night as we wanted to see Culloden Battlefield which wasn’t too far away.

The field has been returned as much as possible to its natural state at the time of the battle, and it is an eeriely quiet place, even though it is wedged on the corner of 2 roads.

Rain threatened again so we didn’t stay long, and headed back down the A9 turning off at Tomatin, and reaching the Glenan Lodge via the Tomatin Distillery. We hadn’t booked an evening meal here and being a small guest house, they couldn’t provide anything for us but they directed back to Carrbridge where we had an excellent meal at the Cairn Hotel.

Wiggy checking the day's mileage
Cypress Pointe Resort 2011
Southern Dunes 2019
alanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 13, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List