Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 19 Jul 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

First time travelling with multiple issues.. cancer... das help please

Morning fellow dibbers,
So after the year from hell I have been given permission to fly (after much arguing) and we are going to be able to fly out in September for my birthday.
I spent 3 months in hospital last summer, had 3 lifesaving operations and spent much time on life support in ICU.
I have Ovarian cancer, a colostomy, am on chemotherapy and have mobility issues as a consequence (higher level pip and a mobility badge).
We have been to florida quite a few times but obviously never with me like this.
My friend is over there in her villa in September, and what I want more than anything is some sunshine and to feel like I can do "normal" things.
I know I will have to pace myself.

We are having a week at HRH which will obviously allow us to utilise Universal Express Pass (except for Hagrids new ride... any ideas if Universal have something like DAS?)

We are also doing a week offsite and visiting disney... now someone said I will be entitled to utilise DAS... can someone please give me a brief overview of what this is and how it works in principal?

Ive tried reading a few posts but you all seem to understand the basics and talk quickly goes over my head.

Please bear in mind I have chemo brain (it really is a thing) and it needs to be very basic for it to go in.

Many thanks in advance for any help

(ooh I have read about getting a red mobility badge and am in the process of doing that for parking)
2013 A level celebrations Mum & daughter HRH/RPR/Rosen@Pointe
2008 All the family Regal Palms/HRH
shrek1609 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi
Sorry I have no answers for you but didn’t want to read and run.
Hope you get your holiday sorted and you have a Magical time you truly deserve it!
Hope your health goes from strength to strength.
Best wishes.

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Hi,

First I'm so sorry to hear about everything you have been going through and really hope you enjoy your holiday, I'm sure the florida sunshine will help work it's magic.

I'll try to explain my experience of using these systems below.

Disney - just go to guest relations at the first park you visit and they will help you out, All of your party have to go to guest relations with you, and they will all need their tickets/magic bands. You don't need to go into great detail about your medical conditions just explain what you are likely to have difficulty with such as waiting in queues, coping with the heat, needing to rest frequently, or needing to dash to the loo etc and they will give you a DAS pass for you and up to 6 members of your party. This will be electronically added to all your tickets/magic bands.

Then when you get to a ride/show, you need to show the cast member your pass/magic band if the wait time is longer than 30 minutes they will give you a return time. This is the time you can come back and go straight thru the fast pass queue without having to get a fast pass. Essentially you return just before the time you would have waited had you queued up but means you can go and cool down in a shop or have a cuppa somewhere instead of standing in line. If the wait time is under 30 minutes they will usually let you straight through the fast pass line without having to return later.

Universal - offer a similar scheme but in my experience tend to ask a few more questions before they issue their equivalent of the pass which is also not as technical as Disney, usually just a piece of card, on which the rides/shows write your return times down. Otherwise operates the same way. Sometimes they will not issue a Guest Assistance pass for the whole duration of your trip and you will have to go back and get a new pass when the old one expires.

Sea World - I believe offer something similar but crowds have never been a major problem when we have visited in May and October so I haven't bothered to get a pass there.

Don't worry about trying to remember the names of passes at different parks etc just explain to Guest Relations as simply as you can the help you are looking for.

Don't forget if staying off site or travelling off site you can apply to get a temporary Florida Disabled Parking permit to use while you are away. Unfortunately they don't recognise a blue badge. Lots of threads on here about how to apply - it's really easy and the red badge comes through very quickly I wish Social Services here processed things that quickly.

I hope this helps but if you think I can help with anything else or need any more details please feel free to Personal Message me.

Best wishes Jenny
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609

Thanks Jenny. Thats such a helpful reply. Sorry its taken me a while to get back and read it, but Ive had a few hiccups. All now back on track and counting down to florida yay!
shrek1609 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Jenny wren has done a fab job of answering your questions, but i just wanted to wish you a fab trip, it will be different from your other trips. X
Old 30 Jul 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Your very welcome, pleased to hear everything is everything is on track, don't hesitate to give me a shout if there is anything else I can help with. Just ensure you build in lots of rest breaks, keep well hydrated and take things at your own pace, I'm sure you will have a fab time.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnsonsontour
Apprentice Imagineer

Johnsonsontour's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Looks like JennyWren covered everything, all that's left to say is have a FAB vacation and enjoy yourself
Sunset Lakes - Villa Aug 2015, Aug 2016 Oct 2017 Oct 2019
Johnsonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609

Another question guys... you're all so knowledgeable.

Can I organise DAS at Disney Springs the night we fly in or do I have to do it at guest services at one of the parks?

Many thanks, for all your invaluable advice

Sat here planning, and just hoping I feel up to my plans
Old 14 Aug 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
SeaWorld do a return time system like Universal.
Most of the time though they just let you through the express line as it's not that busy.

You can do it at Guest Relations in Springs, just need your whole party there to do it so they know how many of you there are.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

sorry have never tried to get a DAS at Disney Springs but it's always worth asking if they can help you there I'm sure they will