Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 24 Sep 19, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DreamsOfOrlando
Excited about Disney

MCO Special Assistance - Anxiety (BA) How does it work?

Hello,

I've recently heard of MCO special assistance and I wondered if I would qualify for this and how it works? Specifically the queuing at MCO immigration. We're flying with BA.

I have anxiety and then panic attacks if I become very anxious.

We've been to Orlando 3 times in the last few years and each travel day is just torture for me! I'm terrified of flying - for safety reasons and being confined in a closed space. Each time I've flown I've had at least 1 panic attack on the plane - luckily I have a great DH who can subtly help calm me so everyone is none the wiser! I can just about cope on the plane as I make a list beforehand of all the things I can do - read a book, puzzle books, magazines, films etc so I'm well distracted.

However, when we arrive at MCO it's a completely different story. Each time we've landed in MCO we have had to wait between 1-2 hours in the immigration queue. Being crowded with people all around me in the queuing system, no idea how long until you get to the front. I have awful anxiety the whole time, sweating, shakes etc. Last time I got myself into such a state that I felt close to passing out a couple of times.

I had never heard of special assistance until I recently saw a thread about this! Apparently you can be taken to another queue and then skip the normal queue. I've read that you may have to wait to be last off the plane to do this, and we'd be happy to wait!

Please could anyone give me advice from previous experience or knowledge of whether I might qualify for special assistance as it isn't a visible disability e.g. wheelchair, and how I would go about signing up for this and what the process is? (Flying with BA if that makes a difference). Not sure if I need to contact MCO directly or BA.

Thank you!
DreamsOfOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Battery Chicken
Proud to wear my Ears

I travel with two Autistic sons and it is very similar to your good self as they don't cope with queuing or waiting either.

I am was in MOD two years ago and there was a separate queue you used however reading this forum I am not sure it exists anymore.

The best advice I can give is phone your airlines special assistance line and discuss your needs with them. This should be the main method to access special assistance.

Also a sunflower lanyard maybe of use to you. Not sure if every airport operates this but to get one you report to the special assistance desk at your departure airport and they issue with it.

Be warned help can be very hit and miss.
Battery Chicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DreamsOfOrlando
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Battery Chicken View Post
I travel with two Autistic sons and it is very similar to your good self as they don't cope with queuing or waiting either.

I am was in MOD two years ago and there was a separate queue you used however reading this forum I am not sure it exists anymore.

The best advice I can give is phone your airlines special assistance line and discuss your needs with them. This should be the main method to access special assistance.

Also a sunflower lanyard maybe of use to you. Not sure if every airport operates this but to get one you report to the special assistance desk at your departure airport and they issue with it.

Be warned help can be very hit and miss.
Thank you x
May 2020 - CSR and HRH - DH 30th - Covid Cancelled!
February 2022 - Holiday Inn LBV, HRH and Pop - 21 Nights
DreamsOfOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Battery Chicken
Proud to wear my Ears

Just read a post on this forum saying the sunflower lanyard was recognised in MCo see the one below and the person was removed from the line and put to a shorter queue.

Oh forgot to say if you need help don't be afraid to ask for it! You know better than anyone what your needs are . Hope it works out well for you xxx
Battery Chicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DreamsOfOrlando
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Battery Chicken View Post
Just read a post on this forum saying the sunflower lanyard was recognised in MCo see the one below and the person was removed from the line and put to a shorter queue.

Oh forgot to say if you need help don't be afraid to ask for it! You know better than anyone what your needs are . Hope it works out well for you xxx
Thank you xxx
May 2020 - CSR and HRH - DH 30th - Covid Cancelled!
February 2022 - Holiday Inn LBV, HRH and Pop - 21 Nights
Old 28 Sep 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Cindy2015
Getting Excited

Hi there
We’re traveling next April and dh also suffers from severe anxiety so I know it must be really hard for you. We have also traveled with our autistc son who also gets upset and stressed in airports. Airports and airplanes are stressful even if you don’t have special needs or suffer from something like anxiety. We’re flying to New Orleans from Dublin with a one stopi in Washington. I’ve already spoken to a Dublin airport and they provide a similar lanyard for hidden disability. They also can provide assistance in the form of a liaison person who would take us through security and pre clearance. I’m also going to check for same in Washington for when we have to navigate to another gate.

I would recommend talking to each airport and airline to see what they can do in terms of assistance. Take what ever assistance you think you will need and hopefully this will make things a little less difficult for you and you will have a better start to your holiday.

Best wishes
Cindy2015 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 05:39 AM  
Link to this Post
DJSwitch
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

Sorry to be the bearer of this news but I was in the same boat and took all steps I could from contacting BA to ensure my exact disability was registered with them for special assistance, had my sunflower lanyard and then asked a few staff in Orlando and was told it is one queue for all. I was in it for well over an hour and it was everything I had hoped to avoid. It was bad enough that I was starting to doubt I could get into the country. There weren’t even toilets from the point of disembarking the plane to being cleared through immigration. Extremely unimpressed with MCO.
DJSwitch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List