General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 6 Dec 13, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
New York First Timers - Day 4, Central Park, Shake Shack, Heartlands Brewery & the Empire State

A bit of a lie in was had this morning, I woke up at 8.40am but stayed in bed until 9am! Shockingly lazy I know!

Our plan this morning was to head uptown on foot towards central park, stopping for breakfast on the way. Explore the park, do top of the rock and then the evening was free for whatever we wanted! It didn’t go completely to plan!

We set off at about 9.30am once we were both dressed and ready to go, and as planned set off uptown. Breakfast wise, we were looking for a diner. We got to 34th St without seeing anything and we did consider heading back to Tick Tock as that was really good and we were close but we decided to carry on, sure we would find something else. I think we may have been in the wrong area, we were weaving from 5th – Madison – Park Ave but there was not one decent place to sit in and have a good filling US breaky! Everywhere was very health conscious with turkey bacon / white egg omelettes on offer and just not what we were after

On the way we came accross a pet store with the most beautiful puppies in the window. I spent about 20 minutes just staring at them. This little fella was especially friendly..

But these two were my faves!

By 11am, after walking for an hour and a half we were ready to give up on breakfast! We were by 60th St by now and knowing Serendipity was round the corner we headed there thinking we could get a hot drink and something light to eat.

By the time we got there it was 11.15am and they were opening at 11.30am. We decided to wait it out as we were 3rd in the queue. Soon enough, 11.30 ticked round, a member of staff came out and started calling forward names of people who had booked an 11.30am table! Keen or what! He then told the people at the front of the queue that it would be at least a 30 minute wait until they got seated! On hearing that we gave up, we only popped there as it was close, nowhere is worth waiting 45 minutes for a coffee!

We decided to just head to the park at this point, we were getting a bit annoyed and to top it off I realised I had left my Top of the Rock tickets back in the room ! We didn’t want to be rushing around today so that completely wrote off my idea of being there at sunset! Bummer!

On our way to the park we came across a coffee shop so popped in for a much needed treat! I had an OJ and a pecan slice and Aaron had a latte and the best almonds croissant I have ever tasted! Oh boy it was good ($12)

From here we popped back in Crate & barrel as it looked a lot quieter than when we had been in on Saturday and then finally made it into Central Park!

I absolutely loved it! It was such a beautiful place and we took out time just walking along the different paths, watching the skaters, taking lots of photos and generally just soaking up the atmosphere!

Edited at 11:36 AM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 13, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
We grabbed some nuts and a diet coke on our way round which were yummy. Sorry for all the photos, I couldn’t help myself!

Loved this fella! Darkest squirrel ive ever seen!

We walked half of the park in the end and popped out on the West side by the National History Museum We had made a decision not to go here as I had read horror stories about school groups. Judging by the number of busses parked out the front it was the right decision! It was nice to get to see the exterior though!

Edited at 11:56 AM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Looking at my snack list I realised we were quite close to a Levain bakery so we popped there for a cookie! OMG they were huge. We got a double choc chip one that we saved for later ($4). Onwards, we wondered the street hoping to find somewhere for lunch, we turned a corner and what was staring us strait in the face……. another Shake Shack! Aaron had actually said earlier in the day that he wanted anything other than a burger today but even he couldn’t resit another from here.

The place was heaving! I got in the queue and sent Aaron to try and secure a table. He came back to me about 3 times just saying no way, he has no faith! I placed the order, another Shack Stack for me, A double bacon cheeseburger for Aaron, 2 fries, a vanilla milkshake and a diet coke! ($33). I then left Aaron with the buzzer waiting for our order and took on the task of waiting for a table myself. By the time he had the food I had secured us a lovely table of two in the window!

As before the food was amazing, I didn’t need my fries though, the burger/milkshake combo is filling enough on its own but Aaron helped me out. Just before we left I popped down to use the loo, another queue but I waited it out and before long we were back out on the street. We walked the Upper West side all the way back to 60th St, popping in shops and bakeries to have a look around. Its a beautiful neighborhood.

We did come across Epicerie Boulud which was on my snack list so we popped in for a sweet treat. After about 5 minutes of being completely ignored, we walked back out. The food did look good though!

By this point, for the first time all holiday my legs were tired and my feet were starting to ache. We decided to get the Subway. We got the Columbus Circus B train to 34th St and then changed to the N train to 28th St, before walking the short distance back to the hotel.

We had a bit of a relax in the hotel whilst deciding on dinner, we didn’t want the same scenario as this morning looking for breakfast so I hit the Dibb and looked at past trippys for inspiration. Before long we had decided on the Heartlands Brewery under the Empire State building, it fit all the requirements. Close to walk to, a good cocktail menu, a good food menu and good recommendations. I started thinking that as we were going to be eating there, it would be silly not to head up the ESB. I ran this idea pasted Aaron and he agreed. It would give us a night times perspective where as we were now planning to do TOTR the next morning.

At about 7pm we left the hotel and made our way to the restaurant planning a few drinks before we ate.

Thanksgiving colours on the ESB!

It was heaving when we got there. I asked the hostess if she could put us down for an 8pm table but she said we would just have to let her know when we were ready, whilst taking into account a 20 minute wait. We did manage to secure a couple of seats and I headed up to the bar. We started with a cosy cab driver and a margarita. Both were really good, while I was at the bar a couple departed their bar stools and so I called Aaron over.

The place was buzzing and we had another couple of drinks (cosy cab driver & raspberry cider) before asking for our table. When I went back to the hostess I confirmed there was still a wait of 20 minutes as we weren’t ready to eat yet and she said yes. We got our names on the list and were given a pager. As soon as I got back to the bar it was going off! :angry: Aaron took it back to her and explained that we weren’t ready to eat yet so she took it back and just told us to go up when we were ready. We eventually headed for a table at 8.15 after paying our bar bill of $40 + tip. We were seated in a lovely table by the window and before long our order was in. We decided to share mozzarella sticks to start. I then had buttermilk fried chicken and Aaron had a sticky sesame chicken breast. The food was really good and I would recommend the restaurant.

Edited at 11:59 AM.
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
After we had finished we paid the bill (67+ tip) and headed through the side door into the Empire State lobby. It looked heaving with a large school tour but as they were still getting sorted we managed to bypass them and head straight up. Very lucky because we only just made it up in front of them and if we had been after I’m sure we would have been waiting about an hour to get through security. We paid the $27 fee each on the way up and were through security and out on the observation deck within about 15 minutes!

I think they were rehearsing the Macys parade in this one

Oh my goodness, what can I say. It was beautiful! The view was amazing and I am sooooo glad we decided to do it. Especially at night as well as it was so different to TOTR the next day. It was absolutely freezing but we managed to find a warm spot by the doors to stand in and take some photos. We stayed on deck for about 30 minutes before getting beaten by the cold. We head back down, after being cattle herded through the gift shop and buying some large lollys for Aarons Family and my nephews.

With a quick pop into Walgreens where I bought a snickers ice cream and some coloured M&Ms ready for my Christmas gingerbread house we were back at the hotel In no time. I ate my ice cream while Aaron ate the Levain cookie form earlier (more like a crunchy brownie), we watched a bit of TV, mainly Family Guy I believe before deciding we would pack in the morning and heading to sleep.

Tomorrow – TOTR, Chelsea Markets, Highline and home

Edited at 12:01 PM.
Old 6 Dec 13, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
We were in NY in July, so your report bringing back load of memories of what we did - looking forward to future days reports.

Great photos from ESB, albeit with teenager in tow, we had to give Heartlands a miss when we went up ESB
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 13, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
We were in NY in July, so your report bringing back load of memories of what we did - looking forward to future days reports.

Great photos from ESB, albeit with teenager in tow, we had to give Heartlands a miss when we went up ESB
There is only 1/2 a day left to write

Shame you couldn't go to Heartlands, it was good! Thanks for reading, im glad its bringing back memories!

I really want to go again, in Springtime maybe
Old 8 Dec 13, 02:12 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I do love your trip reports :-)

We've been talking today about talking the kids to New York next October, but i'm steering well clear of that pet shop or my bull dog obsessed son will be wanting to buy a puppy or two !
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 13, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
I do love your trip reports :-)

We've been talking today about talking the kids to New York next October, but i'm steering well clear of that pet shop or my bull dog obsessed son will be wanting to buy a puppy or two !
Do it, it's an amazing place! I love bulldogs too, these were absolute beauty's! Aaron had to drag me from the shop . Thanks for reading

Edited at 11:16 PM.
Old 8 Dec 13, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Fab ESB pics. Shame about the lack of brekkie and the wait at Serendipity, definitely think we'll give that a miss, read poor reports on another trippie too.

Loving all your hats and scarves!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 13, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Another fabulous date and great set of photos. Ourbest meal last time was at HB Burger off times square, just realised its part of the Heartland Brewery group ... Maybe the HB gave it away ... Doh!

Sharon

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List