Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 18 Apr 18, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Spirit of Aloha vs Hoop dee doo?

Which should we go for? Like the sound of both but can only afford one?

Would appreciate opinions on the shows and food? We’re staying at Port Orleans Riverside so how long to get to each using Disney transport? We’re a family of 4 with DS age 17 & 13

Many thanx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
charlie_fame
Very Serious Dibber

charlie_fame's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I recommend hoop dee do ! We have been twice now and loved it!
charlie_fame is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
speedygonzales
Excited about Disney

If doing Hoop-de-do, plan your travel wisely.
We chose to use bus/boat from POR as I wanted to enjoy a drink with the meal.
We got the bus from POR to MK then boat to Fort Wilderness which went well, under 1 hour and lovely views on the water as the sun started to go down(we chose the later show).

Coming back however those who were on buses were all bussed to Epcot, without choice, and there was no bus from Epcot to POR as it was late.
After speaking to more than one CM we eventually jumped in to a taxi at our own expense. It wasn't much $10 or so, but the point is we felt let down by Disney as there is meant to be buses going back to each resort at the end of the night.
Someone suggested we'd have been better off going back to Disney Springs then POR but that choice wasn't available to us on the night.

As for the shows though, if you choose Hoop-De-Do you won't be disappointed.
speedygonzales is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Both are great fun IMHO as long as you're... go with the flow, dont expect too much, kinda folks (Ive recommended them over the years and had a lot of flack from people who seemed to expect they were going to the opera instead of a cheesy disney dinner show).

So hoop dee doo has changed a lot over the years (music and no guns even at the alamo!) but remains a fun, loud, foot stomping western themed family show. It's more cheesy than a vat of cheddar but then that's why it works. The food is basic, fried chicken and ribs, but it's good hearty fare and it's consistently edible. The show is planned well to be in stages so you can eat without missing things.

Luau is disney trying to impose a disney theme on a traditional luau but that's ok! it's a bit of a silly story but it provides them with some context on which to hang the singing and dancing. The food is now better than it's ever been at the luau (which the exception of the dessert which is some daft toffee thing now instead of the volcano dessert some years ago). pulled pork is nice, chicken and rice etc.

Both have all you can drink alcohol and it's needed ;-)

If you can only see one, hoop is the classic must see it at least once show and is inside so less likely to be cancelled. The luau is nicer if you have princesses who want to be taught a bit of hula.
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

We went to Hoop Dee Doo last summer and we all thought it was fab. It's very cheesy but brilliantly done. I was a bit worried when we were shown to our table as we were right at the very front by the stage and I'd heard that there was a lot of audience participation. There was a little but we didn't have to do anything other than smile and they didn't push it, mainly concentrating on people who volunteered (birthdays, anniversaries etc) so introvert me could cope!

We thought the food was pretty good, but then I am a big fan of the BBQ and fried chicken sort of thing and they did this well.

The sangria tasted nice but I honestly don't think there was very much alcohol in it. I would definitely normally be feeling quite tipsy after three glasses but I was definitely stone cold sober which was strange.

I can't comment on transport as we were staying at Fort Wilderness so just jumped in our golf cart. (DH stuck to non-alcoholic drinks, don't want anyone thinking we were drink driving a golf buggy round FW! )

Edited at 05:16 PM.
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I had the same dilemma and booked the luau for my trip this September as I'm not interested in western foot stomping stuff. Also it gives me a chance to have a mooch around the Polynesian
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
daunty
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

100% Hoop Dee Doo.
Found the Spirit of Aloha too busy and crammed in.
We always book Ohana for the same food and a look around the Poly and save the 2 credits for Fort Wilderness.
Old 20 Apr 18, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Opulent73
Excited about Disney

Opulent73's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 18
We’ve done hoop-de-doo twice and would recommend it. We did Spirit of Aloha once and the food was fab. Kind of missed the show because of our seating.. we will hopefully do it next time but are going for the more expensive seating. Whereas Hoopde doo doesn’t really matter where you go it’s great. We will only do Aloha again because of the dining plan..