Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Dec 15, 02:04 AM  
Link to this Post
scottsman
Apprentice Imagineer

Extra suitcase

I am going next year and I have booked Thomas cook premium cabin and so I have an extra suitcase allowence
simple question is should I take 2 cases with me (one inside the other if possible) or should I just plan to buy one out there? and if so how much would i expect to pay? one issue is I am in the LBV area and won't be driving

any thoughts?
scottsman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 15, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Question would be from me - what you thinking you will be buying to need the second suitcase - will it be lots of solid things (toys, food, Yankee Candles ) or squashy things like clothing and toys?

If the former - get a case as you need a bit of protection for what your bringing back.
Squashy stuff like clothes - take a big duffle bag in the case if you have one, and squash all squishy things in that. Roll up the clothes!

walmart/search/?query=suitcase

and this looks like a big and cheap duffle type bag:

walmart/ip/Protege-32...Black/11069689

Shows you the sorts of suitcases Walmart do over there and prices , sorry not sure what is near where you are to buy the case or bags from.

Edited at 08:37 AM.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 15, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Grapesoda
Apprentice Imagineer

I am going with a case inside a case!

DLP Jan 2014 ~ Sante Fe
DLP Jan 2015 ~ Cheyenne
Pretrip report Here
Report in progress Here
Food Report ~ Here
Grapesoda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 15, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

If you already have 2 cases I'd take them. It would save time searching in Walmart. I had to buy one last week and although they had just what I wanted on their website they weren't in store, shelves were full of Christmas stuff.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 15, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post

I always take one inside the other, too.

A couple weeks ago I bought a massive wheeled holdall at a charity shop - for a pound. I'll take it out to America rolled up inside my suitcase.

On the way back - into the holdall go the clothes, into my "good" suitcase go things I need to be a bit more careful with. Into my hand luggage go the breakables.

You don't want to be hassling with looking for just the right case while you're on your hols...do it here, when it's part of the anticipation and fun of getting ready for the trip!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 15, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We are here at the moment, down in Naples and have brought a case inside a case plus two large holdalls which will have the dirty washing and beach towels in to go home .
Definitely bring over with you , as we have found good quality cases are not that cheap up towards Orlando .
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 15, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

We always take a case within a case, except for our most recent trip a couple of weeks ago, when we had had to ditch 2 cases prior to travel as they were broken.

We looked in Walmart out there, but were very disappointed with their choices this time, as they only had posh, expensive ones.

We found a couple of perfect cases in Walgreens, a 28" and a 24", and I paid around £90 in total for the two. They are really sturdy, and bright orange, so easy to spot on the carousel!
Old 3 Dec 15, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
headpin
Getting Excited

Stores such as TJ Maxx, Ross Dress for Less and Bealls all sell brand name cases such as Samsonite, American Tourister, etc normally at below 50% and cheaper than at the outlet malls.

We have replaced all of our cases over the past couple of years whilst in the US at a fraction of what you pay in the UK for branded decent quality cases. Walmart are ok but I have found the quality is not always up to trans Atlantic travel on a regular basis.

And to get back on thread, either we take a case in case, or a large duffel if clothes shopping. And, if we need a new case we buy one out there to come back with the other goodies in it.

Edited at 10:38 PM.
headpin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 15, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
scottsman
Apprentice Imagineer

Great advice, I hadn't thought of a duffle bag, I can put stuff like Yankee candles in my main case and cloths in the second!

more than that ou haven't only helped me with my Florida trip but my Trip to Australia at Easter where I am going with 2 cases and coming back with one!
scottsman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 15, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
indie2312
Apprentice Imagineer

We always take a empty suitcase inside one and a large long duffle bag we searched in the summer for a large suitcase invwalmart and the prices were crazy for small sizes. Ended up coming back with 2large $5 shopper bags and another duffle bag. We had 7 pieces of luggage and each had 2 large carry ons! Family of five had to pay for extra luggage allowance with American Airlines £129 so good comes free

indie2312 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread