Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 4 Feb 17, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBride08
Apprentice Imagineer

I think you just have to be honest. It's such a lot of money for two days of the holiday. I'm having the eternal battle with myself. I so want to see the Harry Potter stuff I haven't visited universal since 2001 but we just can't afford the extra cost

1996 WDW Offsite / 2001 DLP HNY / 2002 WDW ASM / 2004 DLP NB / 2008 Our Wedding Trip WDW POFQ & GF / 2009 - WDW CSR / 2010 DLP with bump! NB / 2012 WDW AKL / 2013 DLP HC

Our 2017 return DCL / BC / Universal HRH Vlogs
DisneyBride08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Wandmaker
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

We've just made the same decision! The cost of the tickets and the hotel on site put the cost at around £1000 for a couple of days! I am a massive HP fan so am gutted we are not going but we are going to Disney World! I wanted to do it all with my son, DIsney, US, SW, KSC etc but we just can't do it. We haven't told our DS that we are going to Orlando so don't have that dilemma. I'm sure your DS will understand. It's not everyone that gets taken to Florida!
Wandmaker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone. I know it's the right decision, he's a good boy, I'm sure he'll be fine.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We never do both- gives us excuses to go back!
Old 5 Feb 17, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
kadiekaismummi
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by gpb View Post
Your right... end of!

It is a hard decision but the cost has just gone crazy for universal and disney. I think most people will have to make a tough choice between the two resorts.
It is a terrible shame, but the price of tickets now, it's very hard with all the costs, we have had to choose just one Of the resorts, we have gone for universal as my kids are 12 & 16, so thought maybe the rides etc would be better for them there, even though would so love to go Disney too & Hollywood studios, my son is a big Star Wars fan, he's also going to be so upset when I tell him we can't go there either, but as you say, our kids will be so lucky being in Orlando & will still have a fabulous time wherever we take them, I'm sure you'll all have a great time x
Old 5 Feb 17, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

We are doing the same this year, previously we have always done both but the cost is too much this year. I have 3 DS - 16,12 and 7, they all love Universal but when I explained we couldn't afford to do everything this year they were all okay, a little disappointed but accepted it. Good luck!
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post

We are in the same boat, both DD's were too small for the coasters etc last time so they were desperate to do them this time but it's an obscene amount of money for the 4 of us, for 2 days, especially on top of staying at Disney for 19 nights. Hubby did point out that we could do the Warner Bros tour for a fraction of the price.

We just told DD's the truth, they were disappointed but hopefully understand why. They are 11 and 12.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
thefourDs
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We are going to Orlando for the first and only time this year and I can't justify the cost of Universal at the moment. Our two children will be 10 & 12 and they love The Simpsons, minions etc, I think they'd like a day at universal but having already paid for 14 days at Disney, Discovery Cove, Kennedy space centre, dining with Shamu at Seaworld and an airboat I can't really stretch to the £600+ it would cost for one day at Universal! I still can't believe how expensive it is, I'm sure it's a fantastic experience but still a hell of a lot of money!

We have Merlin passes which we paid £109 each for to use at home. I know our theme parks don't compare but it puts the cost into perspective.
thefourDs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsjacksparrow
slightly serious Dibber

We haven't done both for a good number of years. There are only 2 of us, me and DS but I still think the cost is far too great to do everything, plus doing this means a far more relaxed pace so we enjoy our time in the parks more. We did Universal and Seaworld parks in April 16, and we are only doing Disney in May this year. Restricting it like this means we are able to go more often.
These days the things I have to say no to are the Character meals which DS still enjoys at almost 12yrs old. However I have explained the cost to him and what else we could do with the money and he completely agrees that the money could be spent better on other things. In fact he was completed shocked at the cost of them and considers himself lucky that he has had those experiences in the past.
mrsjacksparrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I had this discussion with my dh and kids the other day. The price increase is just to much to make it affordable as last year we paid £580 for the 4 of us (ds was a child ticket then but will be an adult ticket next year) and they have gone up to over £1000 and then factoring a night onsite at one of the universal hotels, as dh wont go to universal without staying onsite, it makes 2/3 days very expensive. The kids are fine about it, and we've decided to spend money doing other stuff instead, that we didn't get to do last year. I'm sure he will understand, is there anything else he would really like to do?

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List