Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jul 17, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

1st single parent trip at Halloween?

Since coming back from WDW in May me & my 2 kids DS9 (high functioning autism) & DD8 have been pretty set on doing the 7 day Norway Fjords Disney cruise next year but we've now started talking about leaving that & going back to WDW (staying onsite) Oct 2019 & fitting in a 3 day Disney cruise while there.

This will be my 1st holiday on my own with the kids - up till now we've always gone on holidays with family. We've also never done a cruise or US/IOA before which will be a definitely must do on our next trip now DD is tall enough to join us on 99% of the rides lol. So it's safe to say I'm feeling pretty nervous. How have people found doing the parks as a single parent especially when there's an odd number in the party?

Also having not long returned from May we found the crowds & heat too much compared to having gone in Sept & Nov before. How busy is start-mid Oct likely to be? The kids are pretty set on that month as they want to experience Halloween over there.

TIA

DLP: 2019, Feb: Santa Fe
HappyThoughts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
iwani
slightly serious Dibber

I took mine on my own at Halloween but they were a bit younger than yours (4 & 2), it was just fine! We mostly stuck to Disney but did venture off site for Seaworld/malls. October weather was basically perfect, crowds still busy IMO but manageable with good planning. Much prefer October to May!
Rides were fine with an odd number but we obviously didn't do any of the 'big' rides due to their age. The only place I had any trouble with being on my own with them was the waterparks, which was still a blast but definitely more of a challenge to keep an eye on/hold of them both at all times. Which may not be an issue for you as yours are older. Everywhere I went people were quick to help me out if I needed anything and I got lots of praise for managing on my own which was nice!
iwani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 17, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow 4 & 2?! You are brave! Makes me feel silly for worrying about taking my kids at their ages now lol.

Once 2019 prices come out I think I'm gunna take the plunge & book. I'll probably stress the entire time but it'll be worth it, Disney always is lol

DLP: 2019, Feb: Santa Fe
HappyThoughts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 17, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Dream bigger
Getting Excited

I am going this Oct with 3 kids on my own. Age 8, 6 and 4. I will let you know how I get on.
Dream bigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 17, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
iwani
slightly serious Dibber

You'll both be fine, I promise! People will help you out lots whenever you need it, and you just figure things out as you go. You'll have an awesome time.
iwani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 17, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

You will have a great time. I took my eldest son on my own 3 times and had an amazing time together. Staying on site helped and used taxi/ town cars for transportation which helped for to focus on him and not worry about driving. Have a great time😊
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List