Notices

Closed Thread

Old 31 Aug 17, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Getting our kicks...

on Route 66.

Having shelved our plans for Japan next year we have decided instead to take the plunge and drive Route 66. All 2448 miles of it. You'd imagine that this could be quite difficult now as much of it has been bypassed with Interstates, Freeways and Highways - there are subtle differences! However, there is an excellent book called EZ 66 by Jerry McClanahan. It maps every piece of the "Mother Road" - even dead ends and turn offs. It follows as much of the original route as it can - in fact 85% of it is still drivable! You wouldn't believe how much they charge for one way car hire.

We'll start on Adam Street in Chicago - the official start and will fight our way through Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California to reach Santa Monica pier - the official end. We'll stay at some historical motels, some hotels with spas and we'll even be detouring to Monument Valley! The trip will finish with another detour to Disneyland to celebrate 4th July.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 17, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Pity about Japan but a wise move at the moment and I'm sure your trip will be just as wonderful as I know you have been thinking about it for a while Looking forward to the updates
Helen
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 17, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I will look forward to following along

I'm sure the planning will be fun

Joan
Old 31 Aug 17, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Mobile

Looks great Geoff! Happy planning!
Old 31 Aug 17, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

How long are you going for Geoff... we did a little of it on a coach tour and I've looked into it but tbh I don't enjoy driving quite enough... am sure you will have a great time... will always remember Seligman... it's the town with the mannequins, strange place...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater

Edited at 07:53 PM.
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 17, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I will look forward to following along

I'm sure the planning will be fun

Joan
The planning is all done Joan - every mile of it! We have one night's accommodation left to book - the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook Arizona (it was the inspiration for the Cozy Cone motel in Cars) and we'll sort that at 11p.m. tonight when their office opens (3p.m. their time).
Old 9 Sep 17, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Having got Club Class flights on BA via Codeshare (Iberia and American Airlines, we have saved over £1000 including car hire. Also discovered our flights will be on Airbus 380.
Old 9 Sep 17, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiga6
Imagineer

I'd love to do this, I'm going to try and shoehorn some of R66 into our tour in 2019, going to go and have a look on amazon for the book you mention, looking forward to reading your report Geoffa
Old 26 Sep 17, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post

So since I last wrote we have added quite a few things.

Seeing Lincoln's tomb, a visit to the top of the Gateway Arch at St. Louis, Tulsa Harley Davison, Devil's rope museum (barbed wire), Caillac Ranch, Adrian - half way marker, early morning hot air balloon flight in Albuquerque, Sandia Park Tramway, Wigwam Motel, detour up to Monument Valley staying at "The View", detour down to Sedona, Seligman souvenir shop, Newberry Springs - where they filmed "Bagdad cafe", visiting Walt Disney's grave site and oads more.

Folk have asked how long this will take - hopefully around 20 days with 4 days at Disneyland at the end.
Old 12 Nov 17, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Missed this, sounds fabulous Geoff!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread