Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Sep 17, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Lesleyta
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

1hr 50 Min in EWR?

Hi

Pulling my hair out looking for flights for Easter next year. Most of the best price flights include a layover of 1hr 50 mins in EWR (Newark, New York) with United.

Has anyone done this? Is it too tight?

Thanks
L
Lesleyta is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 17, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Coming or going?

If going - it is too tight in my opinion. If a through ticket they will be liable to get you to MCO but you may find yourself bumped to another flight / route.

You could either take them at their word that it can be done and leave them to sort it out if it cannot, or, you could book for the cheap money and then wait for them to change the time of the internal leg ( which is highly likely) and then change your in flight for free. Only do it if it is a through ticket. If two separate flight bookings then no. Check to make sure.

In normal terms I would not deliberately book a 1:50 going transfer (and tend to aim for 2.5 - 3). Coming back can be a lot smoother generally so would book a 1:50 flight connection on way back - provided there were more flights back to the UK after mine and it wasn't the only flight to my transfer airport that day.

Edited at 04:35 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 17, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Lesleyta

Thanks so much ... decided travelling is stressful enough, so gone for a 5hr stop over in Chicago - and will do a bit of shopping and have a meal.

Thanks again!
Lesleyta is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 17, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
loopyloo33
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lesleyta View Post
Thanks so much ... decided travelling is stressful enough, so gone for a 5hr stop over in Chicago - and will do a bit of shopping and have a meal.

Thanks again!
To be fair 5 hours can fly by its a good feeling not to have to stress about diving to the front of the immigration queue running through the airport and not stressing about every little delay.
loopyloo33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 17, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Lesleyta

Originally Posted by loopyloo33 View Post
To be fair 5 hours can fly by its a good feeling not to have to stress about diving to the front of the immigration queue running through the airport and not stressing about every little delay.
Yep - love airports so it's all good ... just relieved it's all booked and i can now stop looking
Old 3 Sep 17, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We came through Chicago today. Very nice (but large airport). Lots of places to eat. Seemed well organised and lots of info points.

There are a number of terminals so if you have to switch that will be another way to kill time if needed.

I would move to your departure terminal before you have a meal.

Views of the great lakes were amazing.
Old 3 Sep 17, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Keep a regular eye on your flight bookings and sign up for flight notifications by text.

There are likely to be a number of slight time shifts. Then you might also get a notification that the flight number has changed, or that there has been a change, but you can't spot what it is. This is likely to be a change of planes. This is worth keeping an eye on as they will swap your seats. This normally works but is also worth keeping an eye on.

Us internal flights are very fluid in terms of arrangements and often don't get formally finalised until 2-3 months prior.

With 5 hours you have a big enough cushion for any changes.

Long ramble sorry - but these are the things I keep an eye on for my indirects.