Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Dec 17, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
legolass
slightly serious Dibber

Amending Virgin booking?

We used Alamo this year and loved going straight to the garage to pick the car. So next year we have booked flights to Miami but the cost of Alamo is so high! However, after reading on the dibb I have a price with Virgin Atlantic for £412 which I think I will go ahead and book (Dollar is around £270 ... but I think it's worth the extra?). But we haven't quite decided if we will stay at Miami airport overnight when we arrive then pick up the hire car and drive up to Orlando the next morning or if we will pick up the hire car immediately and drive even part of the way. Once a booking is made with VA, can we amend the booking to add another day (or remove a day?) or do we need to make a decision before we book?
legolass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 17, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Before you book sadly. No ammendments, but you can ring them up and they will amend it but it will basically be a cancellation and a new booking at the prevailing price which will probably be more expensive.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 17, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
legolass
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Before you book sadly. No ammendments, but you can ring them up and they will amend it but it will basically be a cancellation and a new booking at the prevailing price which will probably be more expensive.
Hmm, thought as much. Right we will have to decide soon then, probably just pick up the car when we land. Don't want to leave it too long to decide as I'm sure the price will only go up.

Thank for your quick reply
legolass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 17, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Difficult one to decide on. pros and cons each way.
I would never stay in an airport hotel as I would be itching to move on. I would however consider in your situation doing a 1 hour drive and staying somewhere outside Miami, probably at a much cheaper price and the big bonus - quieter!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 17, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
legolass
slightly serious Dibber

Yes perhaps that's the best option. First time flying into Miami and not sure about the long drive after arrival. But maybe another hotel on route and an early start the following morning would be better. Thank you.
Old 7 Dec 17, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

If you consider Dollar, don't forget to factor in their toll system ($52.49 per week) as many of the tolls in Miami are cashless.

Alamo will hold your reservation for 24 hours (unofficially its 48). So there shouldn't be an issue with collecting it the following morning if you prefer to stay in the airport hotel. If you're not used to driving in the US I wouldn't really advise getting off a plane and then driving out of Miami airport in the dark. You're straight on to busy expressways and highways.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 17, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
legolass
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy View Post
If you consider Dollar, don't forget to factor in their toll system ($52.49 per week) as many of the tolls in Miami are cashless.

Alamo will hold your reservation for 24 hours (unofficially its 48). So there shouldn't be an issue with collecting it the following morning if you prefer to stay in the airport hotel. If you're not used to driving in the US I wouldn't really advise getting off a plane and then driving out of Miami airport in the dark. You're straight on to busy expressways and highways.

Well that has made up my mind about Dollar! We have hired with them twice previously with no problems but after using Alamo this year we decided we would always go with them if possible. And we have never used cashless tolls so that makes me a bit nervous .. This will be our 6th time in Florida so used to driving (well, my husband is!) but agree we might not want to drive that far in the dark. Will have to think about that but if they hold the reservation that gives us a bit more flexibility.

I did have a look at your prices by the way as you are so helpful on here, but I believe our dates are peak time (18th July - 1st August) so think there is a higher cost with Alamo?
Old 7 Dec 17, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Mobile

Yeah unfortunately rentals that commence between 1st July to 15th august attract Alamos peak season surcharge although Virgin seen to have avoided this charge somehow.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List