Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 19 Feb 18, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Help for a DDP newbie!

Ok, I've been looking at this for months and thought I had it all sorted. I've now hit the point I have read too much and confused myself!

There are 5 of us. 3 Disney Adults, a 3 year old and an infant.

What I think I know:-

We each get 1 TS meal, 1 CS Meal and 2 snacks per night (Except for the infant). The infant can eat off our plates but gets his own plate at buffets and family style meals. We also get 4 resort mugs.

Please correct me if I have got any of that wrong so far.

Now, because of the above and to get the kids their fill of characters we are planning mostly buffet and family dining in the first week.

However, at other restaurants does the dining plan include just a Main and a dessert? Are signature restaurants any different?

It already looks like I will fall 2 TS short each so am thinking of paying for two character breakfasts OOP. Or I may pay for a signature OOP depending on what the DDP would cover at those restaurants. I am thinking of including The Yachtsman and California Grill.

I also have in the back of my mind that I can upgrade my 3 year old's park tickets and pay her meals OOP but I don't want to run before I can walk!
Never ever have I given so much thought to meals that are still 8 months away
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress

Edited at 09:49 AM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yes you get a main and a dessert, even at signatures. Often it works out cheaper to pay for one signature than for two 1 credit meals as you say. For a 3 year old you could potentially upgrade her ticket as it’s not much more I believe.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

We go down the upgraded trial route as it buys us a lot more meals. I think it might work well for you as it would also give more food for your infant as the two kids could share a meal. The signature meals are beautiful but not particularly large so might be more difficult to share. They’re also very well seasoned so might not be suitable for sharing either. Paying OOP in the signatures is excellent value and it is all very flexible. For example for us in the Yachtsman I use 6 adult credits and order 3 of the filet mignons which we love. DD will eat half of the steak and share with DH so he gets a little extra. I pay for DS as he likes the pasta there and it’s $10. We then use the dessert credits from DH meal to buy the kiddie puzzle things one each. DH isn’t a great dessert person so it saves too much waste.
It really stretches our credits out to the point that during our 21 night stay we’ll eat at around 8 signatures which are our favourite!
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Thank you very much. I can't believe how complicated it is starting to feel. If I get it all wrong I'm guessing that over the course of 7 days it will probably only be a difference of $100-200 ? Would that be fair to say?

If so I might just stop thinking about it as it's hurting my brain

#Edit# but I'm definitely taking a slice of bread with me to see if I can give anyone the hump

Edited at 11:15 AM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Milpston View Post
Thank you very much. I can't believe how complicated it is starting to feel. If I get it all wrong I'm guessing that over the course of 7 days it will probably only be a difference of $100-200 ? Would that be fair to say?

If so I might just stop thinking about it as it's hurting my brain

#Edit# but I'm definitely taking a slice of bread with me to see if I can give anyone the hump
It’s not that bad I promise. It’s around £20 difference in ticket price and then probably $100. In fairness I read back through your requests and if you’d prefer the buffets and character meals then there’s really no need. We just enjoy the fab meals and eating the most expensive things on the menu when usually I pick the cheapest for the other 344 days of the year!
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by joanna23 View Post
It’s not that bad I promise. It’s around £20 difference in ticket price and then probably $100. In fairness I read back through your requests and if you’d prefer the buffets and character meals then there’s really no need. We just enjoy the fab meals and eating the most expensive things on the menu when usually I pick the cheapest for the other 344 days of the year!
Sorry, I really hope I didn't sound like I was criticizing. I'm actually in awe! I normally pick the most expensive things on the menu as I like the biggest steak and mixed grill etc... on the other hand My wife and 16 year old Daughter will be shocked to have me pushing them towards the most expensive things for a change haha

At the moment our ADR list looks a bit like:
Akershus Banqueting hall Dinner
Hollywood and Vine Fantasmic
Garden Grill Dinner

Tusker House Bfast
1900 Park Fare Bfast

Yachtsman Steak house
California Grill

So as we are only on site there for a week whatever way I decide to pay for them is it really going to make much difference?

From what I can tell if I paid for the two character breakfasts OOP it would be a very similar cost to pay for one of the signatures OOP. If I upgraded the 3 year old's tickets and paid all her meals OOP I don't think it would save a fortune either... or am I missing something?
Old 19 Feb 18, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

For the meals you're planning, I would just pay for one of the signatures OOP and not bother about upgrading your daughter's ticket to try and bank credits that way. The buffet/character meals are all quite pricey even for children OOP, and therefore really good use of credits.

My choice for OOP from your list would be Cali Grill (assuming it's the dinner) as IMO, some of the best food on their menu are the starters which aren't covered by DDP anyway. Or a non-steak main at YC, since they are poor signature value at around $30 where 2 TS credits are worth more than double that. You could even split your bill, that's what I was planning to do at YC since DH would have gotten steak (worth the credit) where I wanted either the chicken or veggie option (not worth it). So would have paid for one meal on DDP, one OOP.

Edited at 01:40 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
For the meals you're planning, I would just pay for one of the signatures OOP and not bother about upgrading your daughter's ticket to try and bank credits that way. The buffet/character meals are all quite pricey even for children OOP, and therefore really good use of credits.

My choice for OOP from your list would be Cali Grill (assuming it's the dinner) as IMO, some of the best food on their menu are the starters which aren't covered by DDP anyway. Or a non-steak main at YC, since they are poor signature value at around $30 where 2 TS credits are worth more than double that. You could even split your bill, that's what I was planning to do at YC since DH would have gotten steak (worth the credit) where I wanted either the chicken or veggie option (not worth it). So would have paid for one meal on DDP, one OOP.
Thank you for your advice. I think I'm steering that way too. At the Yachtsman the wife and I will either share the 32oz or have a filet each and the eldest Daughter will probably have a filet too.
I will have to have a look at the appetizers on the California Grill menu. Thank you
Old 19 Feb 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
dorsetmutley
Imagineer

You will be able to use snack credits in EPCOT as you will be there during the Food & Wine Festival
dorsetmutley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dorsetmutley View Post
You will be able to use snack credits in EPCOT as you will be there during the Food & Wine Festival
I think most of our snack credits may be used here!