Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Oct 16, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Rocking in the Rockies: Day 15 Moab

Tuesday 9 August - Moab and some Arches

We all had a good night's sleep and managed to get out of bed a bit earlier today, and managed to beat the main breakfast queue. There may have been the odd fist pump as we arrived in the lobby because it is very important to Win at Breakfast.

There were some great people watching opportunities at breakfast, including the sight of a man pouring hot chocolate on his cereal. We were also excited to see four motorbike cops come striding in, just like Jon and Ponch from CHiPs. They joined the breakfast queue and seemed to enjoy the platefuls of hot food and chatting with the other guests. You can always count on the cops to know a good spot for food! I'm guessing they keep an eye on the hotels and get a nice breakfast as a thank you.

We packed up and checked out, the staff at the desk being lovely and friendly as they had been for our whole stay. Then we got on the road, heading for Moab. We thought that Salt Lake City was a great place to stay and we could have spent longer that as there is a lot to do in the surrounding area.

We called to Walmart for some supplies as we left the city and took a picture we'd been planning for a while. We all like Wade Bowen, a Texas country singer, and one of our favourite songs (Sun Shines on a Dreamer) is about a couple who meet in a supermarket and features the line "Standing next to the refried beans". So we had to take a picture.

The drive to Moab was a good one and I even drove for a bit. Paul isn't a good passenger and prefers to drive, so it's easy to get into the habit of leaving it all up to him, but I regretted not having driven in Texas on the big wide empty roads, so decided I was going to try on this trip. I drove for about 20 miles on a fairly quiet stretch of highway and it was fine. I found the road positioning difficult at first but the car itself was pretty easy to manage. I did insist on changing drivers before we hit the interstate though - I wasn't sure I was ready to suddenly go to 6 lanes of traffic!

It was a nice drive and the Price Canyon area was really pretty. We stopped for a comfort break at a great little gas station in Price and had ice creams and coffee there as well. It was one of those random places you stop at where everyone is really lovely and friendly and it feels like a real stroke of luck that you stopped.

We got on the road again and it wasn't too long before we got to Arches National Park. As we had some time, we decided to see some of the Arches before going to our hotel. It turned out to be a good time to go as the main rush of visitors had gone and we could go straight into the park.

We called at the visitor centre to fill our water bottles and then drove up the winding road into the park. The landscape is quite spectacular, and a complete contrast to the trees, mountains and water of Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Arches is full of red sandstone and other rocks and the dramatic effects of erosion, creating the many arches all around the park.

We parked at a trailhead and walked to the Windows, huge arches giving views over the rest of the park.

The park information warns you not to climb up the arches as it can be tricky to get down again. In the photo above, you can see a little round hole in the rock and as we approached there was a guy sitting in it. However, before too long he clearly realised he was stuck and had to be talked down by another visitor. He was still trying to get down as we headed back to the car - I wonder if he's still there?

We also saw this rock which looks like something rude and prompted a fair amount of sniggering.

Double Arch is nearby and was an easy walk, so we headed over there next.

It was really cool to be underneath the arches and look up at at them.

On the way back we got a shot of Balanced Rock, which looks like that as a result of the rock beneath eroding at a different rate to the rock at the top.

After our quick trip to Arches, we set off for Moab where we were booked in the Bowen Motel. It was a nice place and we were all so hot that we were glad to have a quick dip in the pool.

We chilled out for a bit, watching baseball, and then decided to walk downtown to a place Paul fancied for tea, as it did craft beers. The Moab Brewery was quite a walk and we had quite high hopes when we finally got there. However, while the food was okay, the service was really awful, with our server pretty much ignoring us in favour of the tables of Americans around us. We had to keep asking other servers for requests that we had already made to our server and it was clear that she didn't think we were worth bothering with. Needless to say, she didn't benefit from a generous tip. I don't know if it's because Moab is a tourist place, so maybe they don't expect repeat business, so don't put the effort in? Anyway, we decided not to go there again.

Back at the hotel we watched a super creepy episode of Criminal Minds and freaked ourselves out completely before bedtime.

Edited at 07:29 PM.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 16, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

More spectacular scenery!

Shame about the service - drives me potty when that happens!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 16, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
More spectacular scenery!

Shame about the service - drives me potty when that happens!
Same here. If someone gives bad service because they don't think they'll get a big tip, it becomes self fulfilling. To be fair though, it was an exception - we generally had great service on the trip.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 16, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Amazing scenery what a wonderful place and would love to visit. Sorry about your bad service at dinner but loved the 'rude' rock 😜
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 16, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiebaz View Post
Amazing scenery what a wonderful place and would love to visit. Sorry about your bad service at dinner but loved the 'rude' rock 😜
Got to love a rock that looks like a willy! Rude rocks aside, Arches is brilliant.
Old 21 Nov 16, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Great photos,can't wait to go .
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 16, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by florida girl View Post
Great photos,can't wait to go .
Not that long to wait! You'll love it.
Old 30 Apr 17, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Well, since Trump came to office, I was slightly nervous about a day that had Moab in its title, lol, but fear not.
Isn't nature just spectacular , those rock formations are brill.
What a twit that man getting stuck in the rock , but I just know one of my lads would "have " to prove the signs wrong...

Shame about shoddy service at dinner, takes the edge off a nice meal.
Lol at you scaring yourselves with criminal minds. We did that once with woman in black , couldn't sleep a wink !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
toffeeman0
Excited about Disney

Love your trip to this park, We seem to have lots in common, USA road trips,Texas, Baseball and Country Music esp Wade Bowen although he comes second To Cody Johnson for me
Old 9 Apr 20, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by toffeeman0 View Post
Love your trip to this park, We seem to have lots in common, USA road trips,Texas, Baseball and Country Music esp Wade Bowen although he comes second To Cody Johnson for me
Those are all our favourite things! We like Cody too, wish he’d tour over here.