Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 18 May 20, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Please rent a skipper with the boat, bareboat rental is not the way forward in unfamiliar waters.

The sea takes no prisoners.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kidd McFluff View Post
Would Captain Bruce come over to pick us up from Cape Coral?
He may Kidd, he usually puts in at Maria Drive Marina as there's no canals to navigate and waters are considerably quieter, he'll know if there's a boat ramp nearer your canal and come around.

Only became aware early 2019 of the increased waterway traffic off CC, friends owned south of CC Pkway, went out with them, thro the canals/Chiquita Lock to exit into the river by The Westin (Tarpon Point Marina). There was a solid line of boats heading towards Sanibel with more coming from the left, we slotted into place but 'slow' rules remain in place for a while longer, at a guess from leaving their dock to him going a tad faster in keeping with the boats ahead was around 45 mins. Unfortunately we didn't realise he was such a speed freak and once under Sanibel Causeway he opened it up until he got to the far end of Ft Myers Beach, had all tightly hanging on

Maybe worth monitoring the weather when you arrive Kidd, the afternoon summer thunder storms could be limiting, but you'd still get out in the morn and likely for a cracking sunset (if conditions permit, watch for the green flash when the sun sets, great to see, especially with binocs ).

Whatever you decide to do, good luck, but most of all have a smashing holiday. If you get chance Pine Island is worth a visit, sunsets at the north end, Bokeelia Pier, are superb - we have the best of both being 2 mile from Bokeelia Pier and Pineland Marina. If the sun is in the pass, atween the bottom end of Boca Grande and top of Cayo Costa there's a high chance of seeing a green flash when the sun sets. THESE live cams of the island/other areas you may enjoy
Old 18 May 20, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

ChrisS...We are still in two minds about this but all the information is helping greatly. With just over a year until we are next in Florida, we have plenty of time to plan. Your countdown timer has now gotten me interested in Bokeelia (I've been checking the maps and guidebooks). It looks like a lovely spot.

Originally Posted by captain-codeye View Post
Please rent a skipper with the boat, bareboat rental is not the way forward in unfamiliar waters.

The sea takes no prisoners.
Thanks Codeye. We are looking at all of the options right now and leaning towards a captain at the moment. Canoeing might be our next inquiry as the house re are renting also comes with 2 Canadian canoes and two kayaks. Not sure that I like the look of dropping straight into the canal though!
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
ChrisS...We are still in two minds about this but all the information is helping greatly. With just over a year until we are next in Florida, we have plenty of time to plan. Your countdown timer has now gotten me interested in Bokeelia (I've been checking the maps and guidebooks). It looks like a lovely spot.

Thanks Codeye. We are looking at all of the options right now and leaning towards a captain at the moment. Canoeing might be our next inquiry as the house re are renting also comes with 2 Canadian canoes and two kayaks. Not sure that I like the look of dropping straight into the canal though!
The kayaks will be fine, I like them as long as I’m my own! I wouldn’t get in a Canadian canoe if I was paid, I have never been in one and not ended up in the water, far too unstable for me and your at your relying heavily on the person you are with balancing correctly also!

I would never go out to sea even in a sea kayak, Im not good enough but and happy in canals and lakes etc!
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Michigan friends also come down to the island for the winter, they've been kayakers for years and hold Codeye's opinion re Canadian canoes. They rent homes on a canal but won't drop the kayaks in, if they have no ability to comfortably lower/walk the kayak in they load 'em on their truck and head to one of the island boat ramps.

Pine Island/Matlacha Pass waters are excellent for kayaking. Brian runs a superb kayak rental business, Gulf Coast Kayaks, HERE, as one comes into Matlacha, on the right. He also offers guided tours run by a highly experienced kayaker.

Edited at 09:41 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 23, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tamar
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Kidd, I'd be interested to hear what you did about hiring a boat and how you got on. I'm researching the same thing for someone heading out later next year. They're very experienced with boats, just not in Florida!
Old 16 Dec 23, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
So we rented a boat when we stayed in Naples a few years ago. I would not do it again. When we were taken to the boat the girl went over the do's and dont's, showed us round the boat and said any damage we would be liable for, couldn't do this, that and the other. So whilst she was explaining this, I took a video on my phone, went round the boat, whilst videoing, pointing out marks outside and inside the boat, including marks on the leather etc. We eventually headed off for a few hours. We did want to stop off for something to eat, however the place where we planned to moor too had a list of rules and it was just going to be too much hassle. We ended up going back early as the clouds moved in and looked like a storm was coming in, so a bit of a race to get back to beat the storm, though hampered slightly because of the speed limits. To be honest, it was a bit of a disappointment and would next time go out with a captain. Just to add, we have a boat here in the UK, albiet its a small boat with an outboard, but DH is used to "boating". Just couldn't relax and enjoy our day tbh.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List