Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Sep 20, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Government green homes grant

Before we place the order for new windows I want to double check I am reading it right.

You can only apply for a grant for new windows if your current windows are single glazed.

So, as we currently have double glazed windows and upgrading to triple glazed we are not eligible to apply for the grant?
Thanks
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I was going to get ours replaced. What if they’re just rubbish windows? Ours are all leaky but they are double glazed. I can see the curtains moving when they’re fully closed!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
gov.uk/guidance/apply-fo...me#eligibility

Primary measures
The voucher must be used to install at least 1 primary measure. This can be an insulation measure and/or a low carbon heating measure.

Insulation measures
The following insulation measures are covered by the voucher:

solid wall
under floor
cavity wall
loft
flat roof
room in roof
insulating a park home

Low carbon heat measures
The following low carbon heating measures are covered by the voucher:

air or ground source heat pump
solar thermal (liquid filled flat plate or evacuated tube collectors)
biomass boilers
Further information on these measures will be announced soon.

You cannot use the voucher to help pay for works that were carried out prior to the voucher being issued.

You cannot use the voucher to replace insulation or low carbon heating measures that are already installed in your home. However, you can use the voucher to ‘top up’ existing measures (for example, installing additional loft insulation up to the recommended level).

Secondary measures
If you install at least 1 primary measure, your voucher can be used to help cover the cost of any of the following secondary measures:

draught proofing
double/triple glazing (where replacing single glazed windows)
secondary glazing (in addition to single glazing)
external energy efficient doors (replacing single glazed or solid doors installed before 2002)
heating controls
hot water tank thermostats and insulation

The amount you get towards the cost of secondary measures cannot exceed the amount you get for primary measures.

Edited at 01:50 PM.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
So you must install a primary measure before any secondary measure. This will probably rule out most people.

Also the secondary measure such as double glazing must replace single glazing. Not just old double glazing.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I've just read the section on the gov.uk website and it looks like you can only have the grant to replace single glazing for double/triple glazing IF you also have one of the primary measures.

We wanted to replace our boiler but it doesn't look like we'll be eligible for the grant then. We already have cavity wall insulation and loft insulation that was done a few years ago. Oh well.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I was going to get ours replaced. What if they’re just rubbish windows? Ours are all leaky but they are double glazed. I can see the curtains moving when they’re fully closed!
Ours are rubbish too, drafty & some of the units have blown 🤨
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
So you must install a primary measure before any secondary measure. This will probably rule out most people.

Also the secondary measure such as double glazing must replace single glazing. Not just old double glazing.
This is how I interpreted it. Thank you. Just wanted to double check before we forked out for new triple glazing 👍🏻👍🏻
Old 2 Sep 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

That doesn’t help us in the slightest then.
We need a new boiler, (ours packed up last Christmas and we’ve been awaiting the end of lockdown to have it fitted) new windows and a front door. No insulation required so I guess we aren’t eligible for a penny.
How annoying

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Ours are rubbish too, drafty & some of the units have blown 🤨
Urgh. How disappointing. Such a boring thing to spend money on. I’d better get the ball rolling on the boiler now before they’re booked up. I’d decided to hold off and await news of this scheme

Old 2 Sep 20, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I had hoped this would help me replace my 20plus year old wooden framed double glazed windows. Unfortunately not, we have all the insulation etc. Shame.
meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List