Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Sep 20, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Thank you so much everyone for all your thoughts. It really is helping me.
Interesting that there are so many different opinions - some love the bungalow, some think it's dated (of course it is, my mother was 90+ ), some love the house, some think it's overdone. So that shows there just isn't any 'one sort' of buyer. Somebody may come along tomorrow who loves the house and garden...and they may not. So whether or not I move I think needs to be just down to which one I want to live in and not to consider at all which will be easiest to sell.
Would you agree?
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Thank you so much everyone for all your thoughts. It really is helping me.
Interesting that there are so many different opinions - some love the bungalow, some think it's dated (of course it is, my mother was 90+ ), some love the house, some think it's overdone. So that shows there just isn't any 'one sort' of buyer. Somebody may come along tomorrow who loves the house and garden...and they may not. So whether or not I move I think needs to be just down to which one I want to live in and not to consider at all which will be easiest to sell.
Would you agree?
Definitely. Decide which one you want to live in and then maybe consider the comments made about the other property on how to improve its appeal to buyers
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Yep, that is what I would do and that is why we bought this house! It is too big, needs too much work but it just felt right. No idea what it will be like to sell in the future but we love living here and that has been backed up over the last few months!

Also think how you want to spend your time and energy in the future - keeping on top of house and garden or out with horses and holidays? I know which I’d choose😁.

Good luck with it all x
Old 16 Sep 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Definitely. Decide which one you want to live in and then maybe consider the comments made about the other property on how to improve its appeal to buyers
Definitely. Or if you aren’t that bothered, keep both on the market, and see which sells first. But I’d stay in the house unless you decide to live in the bungalow

I must say, I don’t mind a dated/cluttered house. In fact for me when I am buying, the more dated it is the better (assuming I can get it at the right price) because it means I can guilt free make it my own straight away

We go to see houses now that are renovated, and the estate agent looks baffled when I tell them I would have to rip out a brand new kitchen 😂

I would still go and see a house with no bathroom picture, but would assume it’s awful and would need to replace. If it isn’t truly awful, stick a photo in, useful for size anyway
Old 16 Sep 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I know this sounds a bit pessimistic but I’d seriously consider moving into the bungalow, brilliant chance to make it your own/renovate to how you want it and declutter... but it’s also forward planning, bungalows are so much more convenient if there ever comes a time when you have limited mobility and they’re so much more low maintenance so giving you more time to do the things you want to do...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Definitely. Or if you aren’t that bothered, keep both on the market, and see which sells first. But I’d stay in the house unless you decide to live in the bungalow

I must say, I don’t mind a dated/cluttered house. In fact for me when I am buying, the more dated it is the better (assuming I can get it at the right price) because it means I can guilt free make it my own straight away

We go to see houses now that are renovated, and the estate agent looks baffled when I tell them I would have to rip out a brand new kitchen 😂

I would still go and see a house with no bathroom picture, but would assume it’s awful and would need to replace. If it isn’t truly awful, stick a photo in, useful for size anyway
This is me also. The first thing to go is always the kitchen and bathroom.

I've never yet viewed a house and thought, oh, weeds!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Cuxi View Post
This is me also. The first thing to go is always the kitchen and bathroom.
I've never yet viewed a house and thought, oh, weeds!
exactly my point - everyone sees a different thing!

I don't think anyone would want to keep my bathroom - it's the original 1960's suite! And the kitchen, while it was very expensive, was made specifically to my wants so probably won't suit anyone else either. It's also very small so I think the first thing a buyer will do is start knocking down walls.

I have been looking at properties for sale locally and there aren't many of either kind in this price bracket so there's not much chance of me selling both and moving elsewhere altogether ( I need to have money available to buy land)
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Me too. That's the main thin that puts me off moving into the bungalow I think - the kitchen is fairly new and good quality but it's so badly designed I really would want to replace it - and feel guilty doing so. And couldn't really afford to have exactly what I would want...
Old 16 Sep 20, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
exactly my point - everyone sees a different thing!

I don't think anyone would want to keep my bathroom - it's the original 1960's suite! And the kitchen, while it was very expensive, was made specifically to my wants so probably won't suit anyone else either. It's also very small so I think the first thing a buyer will do is start knocking down walls.

I have been looking at properties for sale locally and there aren't many of either kind in this price bracket so there's not much chance of me selling both and moving elsewhere altogether ( I need to have money available to buy land)
I’m a wall knocker downer too
Old 16 Sep 20, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I know the area that you are in (I’m from Taunton originally) - I don’t personally think it’s a super quick moving area because of the time it would take to commute to Taunton for work and if someone worked in Exeter etc. It would take even longer. So because of that I think you need to make the house more desirable.

I think both are nice but if I was you I’d move into the bungalow as it makes more sense long term. I would then empty the bungalow as much as possible (or fully empty) but I would try and tidy it up / clean it up in the sense that I would just paint it all white. I think giving it a “clean” slate will help people envisage themselves living there. I think the house is nice but it is cluttered and from the photos it looks dark so that doesn’t help.

I would do that and then I would ask for new photos to be taken. I think the estate agent photos are rubbish which won’t get people through the door to look around. I would clear as much clutter as possible, have all the lights on when photos are being taken and effectively stage each room for the photo. We’ve just sold our house and bought and whilst I wouldn’t be put off your house I imagine there are a lot who are. I think if you can do those simple things you’ll get more interest. When staging the rooms it can be as simple as removing the stuff whilst they take photos and putting it back. I staged each room before we had photos and I do think it helps! Good luck!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List