Notices

Old 30 Oct 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Hong Kong 2019 - Day 5 Ten Thousand Buddhas and Ikea

I was on my own today as O had a busy university day and had slept in his dorm as his first class was at 9 am

The weather looked promising - the sky was at least blue!

I again had a stir fry breakfast! With a liberal sprinkling of coriander. It was very tasty.

My plan for the day was to head to Sha Tin which is to the north of where O am staying. This involved three trains - from Tseung Kwan O to Tiu Keng Leng, then changing onto the Kwun Tong line to Kowloon Tong and then another change onto the East Rail line to Sha Tin.

It sounds long and complicated but it wasn't at all.

My plan was first of all to visit the Ten Thousand Buddha Temple and then go to Ikea as O needed some more bedding.

Finding the temple was not easy. I knew it was behind Ikea as O had told me but there was no signage at all and as I have no data on my phone and it won't connect to public wifi I was struggling. I asked in the mall and they gave me a map and directions but I think they got their left and right mixed up as I ended up in this cemetery. Yes I went to virtually the top where you can see the tower before I realised this was not where I needed to be!

At last a sign! By this stage it was an hour since I had arrived! And I had an uphill climb to do.

At last a buddha - only 9,999 to go!

In some respects the temple and the surrounding parts were very simple - though with a fabulous view.

Built in 1957 there are in fact over 13,000 buddhas.

Most of them are really small Buddha's house in the main temple.

You can just make them out at the very rear of the temple in near rows.

There is also a pergola in the center of the main section of the area.

And as usual lots of incense burning.

There is more climbing to be done. Some sections though were closed off due to renovations.

There is also a shop where I bought some blessed charms for F and J! They were actually very reasonable at HK$20 each.

I sat down and just relaxed for a while - there were not very many people around - a combination of it being of the beaten track, to a very steep hill and there being less tourists anyway due to the current issues in Hong Kong.

I realised that I had in fact come to the back routes as the path down was completely different.

This path of over 420 steps (at least downwards for me this time! ) has buddhas all the way down.

Each one was different - they were really impressive!

I needed lunch and I thought the mall attached to the train station would be the best bet. It wasn't! It was one of those malls where there were no maps, the elevators were all offset so it was impossible to go easily from one level to the next and I struggled to find anything edible! Though I did see Snoopy world - a bit random and not looking particularly busy!

I decided to head off to Ikea as a better option. It was...

I had a veggie hotdog for the princely sum of HK$7 - less than a euro! I certainly needed it.

I managed to get what O wanted - a quilt, a quilt cover and a sheet. The cover was reduced (he said he didn't care about the colour -thankfully it was blue! )

Caffeine has been low today so I grabbed a cappuccino from the Starbucks in the complex and sat and read for a while.

I got the three trains back to the hotel arriving at about 4pm. I sent a photo of the haul to O.

A rest was needed after all that climbing.

At about 6 pm I had a wander around the local mall. I knew O wouldn't be coming back until about 9pm as he had a 90 minute midterm exam at 7.30pm.

There are bakeries everywhere - lots of bread products and some very pretty cakes - no ideas how nice they are and whether they actually live up to their appearance.

I met O off the train at 9 pm and we went straight to the Spaghetti House which had been recommended to O by one of his friends. We thought there would be lots of pasta options but there wasn't - and what there was was meat based.

We had onion rings to start.

I had crab cakes.

And O had fish and chips.

We decided we preferred Pizza Express! It came to about the same -HK$309

We came back to the hotel. O spent an hour writing up his notes and revising his chinese for his listening exam on Thursday. By 10.30pm we were ready to sleep!

Edited at 02:47 PM.
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 30 Oct 19 1:37 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Another lovely day, glad the ikea trip went well and O got his cuddly quilt
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
Another lovely day, glad the ikea trip went well and O got his cuddly quilt
Thanks All this climbing is doing my calf muscles a world of good

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

That temple looks amazing, I love all the buddhas on the steps. You did so well to actually find it though, it looked worth the effort 😂

I’m so pleased O liked his new bedding.

I really think you need to try some of those delicious looking cakes, just for research for the Dibb to know if they taste as good as they look 😂😂
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another good day but lots of walking!

Joan
Old 1 Nov 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The climb up to the temple was tricky, a pain that you couldn't log onto Wi-Fi. It sure seemed worth it though, the Buddha's are impressive! Another interesting day of exploring.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Oh my goodness a lot of walking but at least you had all the different Buddha’s to look at on the way down.
I bet O was pleased with his bedding, I hope all his exams went well for him.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 12:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
That temple looks amazing, I love all the buddhas on the steps. You did so well to actually find it though, it looked worth the effort 😂

I’m so pleased O liked his new bedding.

I really think you need to try some of those delicious looking cakes, just for research for the Dibb to know if they taste as good as they look 😂😂
O said his new quilt was lovely and snuggly

It was worth the walk to see all the buddhas. I do wish the signposting was better though

I am not convinced about the cakes I need to lose weigh not gain it 😂

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another good day but lots of walking!

Joan
Always lots of walking - at least it burns the pizza calories

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The climb up to the temple was tricky, a pain that you couldn't log onto Wi-Fi. It sure seemed worth it though, the Buddha's are impressive! Another interesting day of exploring.
Suddenly I can log on to public wifi. Very strange!

It was hard on the calf muscles going uphill!

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
Oh my goodness a lot of walking but at least you had all the different Buddha’s to look at on the way down.
I bet O was pleased with his bedding, I hope all his exams went well for him.
He is happy exam season is over until before Christmas!

He loves his new bedding!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 2 Nov 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Skipping over the coriander 🙈, lots of exercise today.
That’s some climbing you did .. to end up in the wrong place. Glad you found it though because what an amazing sight all those statues are. Fascinating.
Can’t believe you didn’t fit in Snoopy world 😂.
Shame some of today’s food was a bit disappointing. I always feel those sort of cakes never taste as good as they should do.
And a trip to Ikea . Result !
Nightmare though when you can’t figure out how to get across the levels. We encountered a bit of that in a couple of the malls in Dubai 😳
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List