Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Oct 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

Isolation drama

DH finishes his 14 day isolation today.

DS3 (age 10). I received an email on Friday night to say he needed to isolate. Another email from school on Saturday morning, he wasn't in close contact so his class don't have to isolate (he is in Year 6 and year 5 have to isolate). This morning (Monday) another email saying he does have to isolate and the class can return to school on Friday 6th November.

Luckily we haven't been anywhere this weekend as dh was still isolating but what a farce!

I hope he doesn't get covid as my middle son is doing his mock GCSE exams for the first two weeks after half term.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

Well my son has tested positive for coronavirus. He has lost his sense of taste but generally seems ok.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
Well my son has tested positive for coronavirus. He has lost his sense of taste but generally seems ok.
Sorry to hear that, I hope he doesn’t get any more symptoms and the rest of the family don’t catch it from him.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Oh no hope your son is ok and you don't all get it. Hopefully your other son can do mocks on his return although I really don't see how exams can go ahead (mocks or real) with the amount of isolation that's going on.
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

I've asked the high school if they can accommodate some exams from home. Not the same experience but at least they do exam type questions in set amount of time.

I can't see the actual exams going ahead either.
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

I've asked the high school if they can accommodate some exams from home. Not the same experience but at least they do exam type questions in set amount of time.

I can't see the actual exams going ahead either.
The problem with this is that whilst your son may stick to the rules and time restraints others in the same position may not and may take advantage of the situation to gain a better grade by cheating. My worry is that if this happens across the country and then it comes down to mocks and teacher assessment some people will have followed the rules but be disadvantaged by people who may have cheated. I don't actually know what the solution is.
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
The problem with this is that whilst your son may stick to the rules and time restraints others in the same position may not and may take advantage of the situation to gain a better grade by cheating. My worry is that if this happens across the country and then it comes down to mocks and teacher assessment some people will have followed the rules but be disadvantaged by people who may have cheated. I don't actually know what the solution is.
I know some schools are discussing doing mocks with the webcam on so that they can do some invigilation, not sure if that would work or be practical.

Much more importantly OP, I hope you son is ok and the rest of you stay well.
Old 29 Oct 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Sorry to hear this and hope you son is ok
Old 29 Oct 20, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
I know some schools are discussing doing mocks with the webcam on so that they can do some invigilation, not sure if that would work or be practical.

Much more importantly OP, I hope you son is ok and the rest of you stay well.
I really don't think this would be a good idea or even work. What would happen if the student needed the loo - who would know they didn't just disappear off screen for that and check for answers?! Exams should not be done at home in my opinion. Some kids won't even have a good place to study and my daughter was told in lockdown that if she was on teams on screen it could not be in her bedroom whilst the downstairs of our house is open plan so not always quiet.

Like you say though I hope OP's son and the rest of the family remain well.
Old 29 Oct 20, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

My 10 year old is fine apart from having no taste! I'm just the pleased the test wasn't inconclusive as administering it wasn't nice and I wasn't sure I'd done it for long enough. It's probably awful for all children but ds has autism so found it very difficult.

At least my oldest is away at University so won't catch it!