Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 14 May 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by MrsArcher2b View Post
We went on a Caribbean cruise on the Azura in Oct 2017 and thought it was a lovely ship. We ate at all the restaurants except the Glass House and would recommend the Boat House. Are you sitting with others at dinner? There were 2 of us and we were put with a table of 10, the same people the whole time, which was nice as we had a good, friendly group.

The pub quiz was good fun and again we met some lovely people in there. It was very busy on these nights so you often end up sharing seating. At our first quiz a couple sat by us and we chatted about the quiz and then other things. By the end of the trip it was routine to meet up and play together. The winner got a bottle of wine.

There's quite a few classes and things on, as well as excursions so I don't think you'll be lonely. You can be as social or not as you like.

Funnily enough we have just last night booked the Fjords in August with TUI.
I don’t know about dinner yet, I didn’t get to choose as I booked a Saver fare, so I find out on board I think.
Great to know you loved the ship, and the quiz. I love a quiz.
Enjoy your holiday planning, which ports do you go to?
I very nearly went with TUI, but I have cruised with them twice before and never p&o, so I decided on a change

Edited at 07:10 PM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
Fitness classes I did were free I believe for Yoga there is a 'small supplement' to pay but it says in the guide which ones are extra.

We didn't go to any of the paid for restaurants. There were 4 on our boat - The Glass House was £5 pp (Mediterranean), Boat House (seafood / steaks) was £7.50pp, Sindhu (Indian) was £20pp and Epicurean afternoon tea £28pp. The only one I fancied was the Indian one but couldn't justify £40 extra charge - that would buy us 2/3 indian takeaways at home

We used the bars, the drink prices are in line with bar prices on land (which is really refreshing as other cruises I've been on the drinks are ridiculous prices). I only really drink Cider / G&T - cider was £4.50 for a speciality large bottle and the G&T was I think £5.50.

I am with ID mobile and whilst in port could use my normal allowance (most European countries are the same) but make sure to turn your phone off whilst you are moving between ports as you can revert to maritime coverage which is a fortune. I accidently left my phone on roaming when we left port one day and at some point it changed to maritime and racked up £5 of charges (just on it's own, update of emails and the like!) until it hit my cap and stopped (thank goodness I have a cap!).
Thankyou very much for all your help, really appreciate your detailed replies xx
Old 15 May 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsArcher2b
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
I don’t know about dinner yet, I didn’t get to choose as I booked a Saver fare, so I find out on board I think.
Great to know you loved the ship, and the quiz. I love a quiz.
Enjoy your holiday planning, which ports do you go to?
I very nearly went with TUI, but I have cruised with them twice before and never p&o, so I decided on a change
We had the saver fare too. We weren't thrilled to be sitting with 8 strangers but actually it was better than if we were on a table by ourselves.

Thank you. Enjoy yours too! Any tips will be welcome

Our ports are Bergen, Geiranger then an hour in Hellesylt, Olden, Haugesund and Flam. Can't pronounce any of them, haha.

We've never been with TUI and we're going with my in-laws which should be fun for a change. Also P&O didn't offer all inclusive last time we went so we're looking forward to taking full advantage of the drinks package. I forgot to say that the ice cream stall near the pool was fantastic too.
MrsArcher2b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

We had the saver fare too. We weren't thrilled to be sitting with 8 strangers but actually it was better than if we were on a table by ourselves.

Our ports are Bergen, Geiranger then an hour in Hellesylt, Olden, Haugesund and Flam. Can't pronounce any of them, haha.

We've never been with TUI and we're going with my in-laws which should be fun for a change. Also P&O didn't offer all inclusive last time we went so we're looking forward to taking full advantage of the drinks package. I forgot to say that the ice cream stall near the pool was fantastic too.
We were on a Saver fare too. Saver fare doesn't mean that you will be sat with strangers just that you get last priority for dining preference. Our sailing was full and we still got our first choice for dining which was anytime dining. We were on a table for 2 every night. I don't mind sitting with strangers but not when you get put with a group of stuffy over 60's who look down on you because you are *shock horror* YOUNG PEOPLE

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding

Edited at 05:30 PM.
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

I don't mind sitting with strangers but not when you get put with a group of stuffy over 60's who look down on you because you are *shock horror* YOUNG PEOPLE
We’re not all like that! We like young people - especially with some fava beans and nice Chianti! 😂

Edited at 06:59 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

I can’t eat ice cream unfortunately, but thanks for the tip.

I would like freestyle dining, just because I do fancy trying a few select restaurants, and I tend to base dining around what I have done that day, and what evening entertainment I fancy.

Stupidly I find early too early and late too late, which is a real first world problem I know 😂
Old 16 May 19, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Stupidly I find early too early and late too late, which is a real first world problem I know 😂
Me too! I think everyone does, I would love a 7pm dinner slot, we had 8:30 last cruise and felt like bedtime by the time we finished!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
We’re not all like that! We like young people - especially with some fava beans and nice Chianti! 😂
I am of course, not under the impression that everyone is like that. But it would be just our luck we got the table who started the 'my horse is bigger than your horse' debate and Dean and I would just be sat waiting for the nightmare to end (not because we have tiny horses and are embarrassed, more that I can't stand that mentality).

Those who go on cruises will know the tables are very close and I have overheard conversations on the 10 people tables that make me very thankful I am sat on a table for 2

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding

Edited at 12:37 PM.
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

I am of course, not under the impression that everyone is like that. But it would be just our luck we got the table who started the 'my horse is bigger than your horse' debate and Dean and I would just be sat waiting for the nightmare to end (not because we have tiny horses and are embarrassed, more that I can't stand that mentality).

Those who go on cruises will know the tables are very close and I have overheard conversations on the 10 people tables that make me very thankful I am sat on a table for 2
My parents are regular cruisers and have had some corkers on shared tables. They had an ex Yorkshire miner who got the hump when he found out my parents were from a mining community in Nottinghamshire.

One of the best couples they sat with was a young couple. The girl was a goth who loved red wine and the bloke was a one legged biker. They said they laughed for the entire voyage at dinner.

Edited to add that the worse one was a pompous company shareholder that tried to March my dad to the pursers desk to get him to relinquish some of his onboard spending as he thought my dad had too much.

Edited at 04:12 PM.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We once sat with an elderly Florida resident at breakfast- he proceded to get out all his meds and lined them up. We thought it was going to be a ‘fun’ meal. Turned out he was a survivor of Pearl Harbor and he was absolutely fascinating to listen to - breakfast lasted 2 hours!

Edited at 06:26 AM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List