Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 6 Jan 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Lorry69
Getting Excited

Shopping Malls outside of tourist area

Saw a bit on Travel Channel about shopping malls outside of tourist area but didn't catch the names. I have read here in the past about Altamonte and The Loop, has anyone ventured to any of these or is there not that big a difference?
Lorry69 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We are regular visitors to the Loop but I wouldn't say it was really outside the tourist area. It's about 10 miles east of WDW on the Osceola Parkway.

It's not really a mall though. "Big box" stores built on both sides of a large surface car park then smaller units in the edge along roadside. Winter Garden Village is very similar around 15 miles north of WDW.

Never been to Altamonte but I believe that is a mall similar to Florida Mall

Mick
Old 6 Jan 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

waterfordlakestowncenter/stores

We always visit this Mall, quite a few bargains to be had and the goods arn't picked over as much, especially the Ross store!
Old 7 Jan 20, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Have used both many times over the years and they are both very different. The Loop has expanded over the years and is an open air centre whereas Altamonte mall is a closed mall over 2 levels with the Dillards, Pennys and Macys anchoring it. Just outside there are a few restaurats including a Bahama Breeze. Both have a cinema from memory. We like Altamonte which is less touristy.

Another place we like to shop is Winter Park and sometimes use the Sunrail train which stops in the middle of the town. They also have the Morse museum which is well worth visiting.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JAF View Post
Another place we like to shop is Winter Park and sometimes use the Sunrail train which stops in the middle of the town. They also have the Morse museum which is well worth visiting.
Not forgetting the scenic lake ride which we've done about 4 times. Next time we go to Winter Park we plan on catching Sunrail from Poinciana.

Around $5.50 return for two seniors. What's not to like to avoid I4 in Downtown as well

Mick
Old 8 Jan 20, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Never been to Altamonte but I believe that is a mall similar to Florida Mall

Mick
We have been told Altemonte has closed but not sure if that's true?
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Just looked, looks like it's still there!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

We visited the mall at Altamonte a few times but that was many years ago, it always seemed quiet when we were there. We often found some good bargains there, MIL bought a watch for $5 and still wears it over ten years later.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Not forgetting the scenic lake ride which we've done about 4 times. Next time we go to Winter Park we plan on catching Sunrail from Poinciana.

Around $5.50 return for two seniors. What's not to like to avoid I4 in Downtown as well

Mick
Like the sound of this. Will add to my list of notes for things to try
Old 9 Jan 20, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

Mick
Love Winter Park and have used Sunrail to get there as it saves the drive on I4. Don't forget that it only runs Monday to Friday and not at weekends and check the timetable for the day that you want to travel as it isn't regular especially around lunchtime/early afternoon. Also don't forget to validate your tickets getting on and off.

Love the fact one of the stations is called Tupperware
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List