Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 May 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
fiona88
Excited about Disney

Generally whichever is cheapest or has a benefit, we've done Orlando as a package as flying from Newcastle TUI is the only direct option and saved a lot compared to booking separate flights (on any route) to accomodation.
Our west coast trip was mostly DIY with flights and first hotel as a package and the rest with cancellation options. I'd do full DIY if I did west coast again as it was less flexible and I didn't like not having access to edit my flight info myself.

However, with current events I'd likely lean towards booking a package or at least between very few suppliers to reduce the points of call for cancellation/rearranging the booking if necessary
Old 19 May 20, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I think that it very much depends upon what you are seeking to do.

If you are tied to School hols and want a simple fortnight at just one or 2 well trodden locations in Orlando, then packages can be hard to beat.

On the DIBB, you will find that an awful lot of us have broadened into multi location and multi state vacations with multiple car hires, AMTRAC journeys, internal flights etc etc. In that case, you really cannot beat a DIY as you achieve EXACTLY what you want to.

For paragraph 1, I would plan a DIY and then invite the package operators to beat my price (without necessarily showing them it).
For paragraph 2, I wouldn’t bother.

DIY is very simple and also very rewarding to plan. Particularly with hotels, you can find some really great discounts that a package operator would never pass to you (even if they could).

If you have employment discount (I have both MITIE and NHS), then you also find great cash backs by going through the appropriate portal. Typically I get 10% on Ebookers, 8% on Expedia, 10% on budget car hire etc etc. I also get around 1-2% on Virgin hols or flights. These discounts.. or at least the first ones can add up very quickly.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
pdw8
Trying for More Ears

We have the same predicament as package can work out cheaper with a discount my wife gets. However we have just booked a BA fly/drive for April 21 and are currently deciding how to book a villa. Torn between direct with owner/Home Away/ABNB or via a UK travel agent.
pdw8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Cinderellabella
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by dad2700 View Post
DO NOT USE PILLINGER WORLD TRAVEL. Our own personal experience has been awful with them.
We’ve done diy for years and booked this years holiday as a package with Pillinger, which was supposed to be 3rd April. Won’t refund and would only amend dates until end of dec. Then offered credit note which wasn’t valid for a year. I’ll be going DIY again from now on I think. Thought I’d be better off booking a package but how wrong. Trying to claim on my insurance
Cinderellabella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneysocks
Proud to wear my Ears

We are first timers and booked DIY for this year.
We needed 2 rooms in each hotel as we had a room for me, hubby and son.
Another room for Daughter and partner.
All paid for by us as it is out 25th wedding anniversary year.
We saved a few thousand doing it this way.
The only issue has been having to leave things so late to cancel (due to Covid19) as others with a package have been able to change their booking sooner than us.

We will be rebooking DIY for next year again.
Disneysocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
coola
Excited about Disney

We have always found a package to be cheaper
coola is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Package is potentially “safer” in the current climate but I personally would always do DIY. That way you are in control and if you are shrewd and careful with plenty of research you can save a fair amount too. The key is to do lots of research and check a company thoroughly, and book via a credit card for a bit of financial protection.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Mobile

Apart from the protection offered by cc- is there a difference to the insurance you need if you go diy rather than package ?
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by inky1 View Post
Apart from the protection offered by cc- is there a difference to the insurance you need if you go diy rather than package ?
I can’t give a factual reply but I can’t see there being any ‘special’ requirements for your insurance.

Booking with proper companies and doing your homework is (in my opinion) all you will need. If the worst happens you can decide how you choose to amend your flight/villa/car etc to suit you.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by inky1 View Post
As someone who scans the T&Cs of travel insurance policies with a fine tooth comb I've found nothing in any of mine recently to suggest that the way you book a holiday has any bearing on the policy. They are all individual components covered by the policy.

You need to be careful with end supplier failure conditions though as the insurer will expect you to recover via a CC section 75 first - but it's always safer to book with a CC anyway

Mick