Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 May 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
BeastnBeauty
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile Virgin - Amex Dispute

Hey,

For anyone who has completed the amend your booking form to cancel down your vacation and not had any correspondence back / no response to your WhatsApp messages.

Have any of you raised a dispute/s75 on your Amex or other credit card prior to having a agreement for a refund from Virgin as they’ve not reached out?

I just don’t feel comfortable waiting say 4+ weeks for someone to finally reach out to me and then an additional 90 days for a refund, I’d rather just show Amex that I’ve requested a refund and had no correspondence and then let them claim the money back.

We are quite in need of the money given the situation, this was for our wedding so one massive one off holiday.
BeastnBeauty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Minniesmiff
Excited about Disney

I haven't but I'm sure I saw someone had done it on Twitter and Amex had paid out. Good luck whatever you chose to do
Minniesmiff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
fiona3103
Imagineer

fiona3103's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
my trip was due 25/3 & cancelled, nothing from virgin holidays, no refund & scant contact from them. I requested refund from MBNA early April & finally received it back last Friday, subject to Virgin Holidays not agreeing within 45 days.
fiona3103 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sixpence18
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi I did this with my CC tesco.

This was with Expedia though

I got the money refunded back very quickly from my dispute which was great and I was really pleased

However I got a challenge back within 45 days so had to submit further evidence last week.

Bit scary as they said in the letter if they find against they will just charge my credit card for the amount refunded

Fingers crossed all goes ok though

Good luck to you - I have found the credit card very helpful to deal with
sixpence18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
BeastnBeauty
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by fiona3103 View Post
my trip was due 25/3 & cancelled, nothing from virgin holidays, no refund & scant contact from them. I requested refund from MBNA early April & finally received it back last Friday, subject to Virgin Holidays not agreeing within 45 days.
Thanks, I’m just worried because it’s me cancelling and not the airline, as I can complete the amend my booking form and WhatsApped saying to cancel it but would that be enough to show my intention to cancel and forfeit my deposit or do I need confirmation from Virgin at all.

I can imagine you had received proof of them cancelling but I can’t really prove that I cancelled.

Or do I just suck it up and hope things are back to normal in September... who knows.
BeastnBeauty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
BeastnBeauty
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by sixpence18 View Post
Hi I did this with my CC tesco.

This was with Expedia though

I got the money refunded back very quickly from my dispute which was great and I was really pleased

However I got a challenge back within 45 days so had to submit further evidence last week.

Bit scary as they said in the letter if they find against they will just charge my credit card for the amount refunded

Fingers crossed all goes ok though

Good luck to you - I have found the credit card very helpful to deal with
Had you cancelled your trip or had Expedia? When were you booked to fly?

On what basis did they challenge you back?

I can imagine if it’s taking months for VH to contact people they are unlikely to be able to respond in 45 days to a dispute request.
Old 26 May 20, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

If you cancel, arguably (subject to technical frustration arguments) you are not entitled to a refund.
You’d be better waiting for them to cancel, then if they don’t refund in 7 days, the credit card company become liable for breach (they’ll do a chargeback).
Old 26 May 20, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by BeastnBeauty View Post
Hey,

For anyone who has completed the amend your booking form to cancel down your vacation and not had any correspondence back / no response to your WhatsApp messages.

Have any of you raised a dispute/s75 on your Amex or other credit card prior to having a agreement for a refund from Virgin as they’ve not reached out?

I just don’t feel comfortable waiting say 4+ weeks for someone to finally reach out to me and then an additional 90 days for a refund, I’d rather just show Amex that I’ve requested a refund and had no correspondence and then let them claim the money back.

We are quite in need of the money given the situation, this was for our wedding so one massive one off holiday.
If Virgin have cancelled your holiday and not paid you a refund then you can go down the Section 75 route with Amex.

If you've cancelled your holiday because you don't think it's going to happen then (I believe) you can't go down the Section 75 route.

As YT says above, if you've cancelled your holiday then you're not automatically entitled to a refund, so you can't ask your CC provider to step in.

If Virgin has cancelled and you do go down the Section 75 route, then be aware that (a) the CC company will ask if you've contacted Virgin first and (b) it can take up to about 2 months to receive your refund. It isn't instantaneous.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 12:49 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BeastnBeauty
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
If Virgin have cancelled your holiday and not paid you a refund then you can go down the Section 75 route with Amex.

If you've cancelled your holiday because you don't think it's going to happen then (I believe) you can't go down the Section 75 route.

As YT says above, if you've cancelled your holiday then you're not automatically entitled to a refund, so you can't ask your CC provider to step in.

If Virgin has cancelled and you do go down the Section 75 route, then be aware that (a) the CC company will ask if you've contacted Virgin first and (b) it can take up to about 2 months to receive your refund. It isn't instantaneous.
From the T&Cs I assumed if I cancelled my holiday, that as it is more than 84 days out I would only lose the deposit? Would the rest not be refunded?

If VH we’re willing to extend the final payment deadline to obtain more clarity I wouldn’t mind waiting and holding out but having already paid £8k and having a final payment due in 2 weeks time I am apprehensive and need to make a decision to pull the plug or pay and risk having even more tied up with them.
Old 26 May 20, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sixpence18
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by BeastnBeauty View Post
Had you cancelled your trip or had Expedia? When were you booked to fly?

On what basis did they challenge you back?

I can imagine if it’s taking months for VH to contact people they are unlikely to be able to respond in 45 days to a dispute request.
They cancelled my flights beginning of March - flights were for end of March.
Bizarrely the dispute is from British airways (who the flights were with) and not Expedia who I booked them through.

Their response is laughable though. BA said I should have applied for a voucher- I did try ages ago but got an email back from them saying as I booked via a travel agent I can’t claim a voucher from BA.

Fingers crossed the challenge should be thrown out - I’ve got it in writing 3 times from BA saying I’m not eligible for a voucher.

I’m sure you’ll be fine though! Make sure you document all attempts to contact - I also submitted to Tesco every phone call and the outcome, every email, every tweet to show I had tried to get it touch with Expedia for a refund but I got no answer!

Edited at 01:58 PM.
sixpence18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List